No announcement yet.

New AAC media deal with ESPN announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems obvious that Football not Basketball drives the big money. Assuming conferences blowing up or changing it becomes an interesting thought experiment as to who fits where.
    Can Houston football and basketball fit somewhere else and contend for a Natty title in both sports? Can UConn? Cincy? UCF? KU? KSU? Iowa State? OK State?, Baylor?.
    I think the answer is probably no for almost all of them.
    What about geography? Does the Big 12 add another Texas school in Houston or reach out to Cincy?
    What about KU and it’s garbage football brand? Where would they go if the Big 12 moved on or they left?
    Football is the mega driver. Hard to argue that a Big 12 and/or AAC re-alignment hurts WSU no matter what happens in the next 10 years.
    It would seems WSU is in a good position $$ wise. Our collective Interest is to be Nationally relevant in Basketball and Baseball. Scheduling for a high seed is key for the Shocks. Playing good Cincy, Memphis, Temple and maybe Tulsa teams is good for our fan base and the future. Add in Non-Con with certain Big12 teams and it’s more of a win.
    Seems to me Big 12 and AAC schools with poor football brands but good to elite basketball brands have a lot to lose if they don’t get elevated or they get demoted from the Big12.
    Last edited by top20shock; March 20, 2019, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Steeleshocker
      Steeleshocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Certainly if the conference blows up we would want to make a case for the BE, but I don't know what their media deal timeline is. We added value to the AAC at a time negotiations were about to start, and that could be key.

Another option is to really work to build our relationship with Navy and package ourselves with them to other top football conferences.

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the way you think...

• JayPak
      JayPak commented
      Editing a comment
      About BE media rights... 6 years left of a 12-year deal with Fox.

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
    Mvc media payout was $200k +-
    Production and equipment costs ESPN passed on to the schools was $200K +. Pretty much every athletic dept. in the MVC claimed the ESPN deal was basically a break even.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

All of this is better for us in this moment. There is a lot of chatter about what will happen in the mid 20s when it seems many of the current P5 contracts are up, but honestly no one knows. I keep wondering if big time college athletics is a giant bubble waiting to bust, especially as demographics of the sports viewing public changes. Even for a very loyal fan such as myself, the cost of SASO and a season ticket is starting to scratch the edges of what I want to pay, especially when that amount has become equal to a significant chunk of traveling to the conference tournament or other postseason action. In fact, the Mrs and I have discussed whether it would make more sense to not have season tickets, and instead just go to the game at Intrust and maybe one or two at Koch, do road trips during the season if possible (Tulsa, Stillwater, OKC, etc), and then try and do the postseason when we can.

Anyways, no matter what might happen in 5-6 years, we are in a better place than we were in the MVC. Better competition, more like minded university brethren, better postseason chances, and so on. If major realignment happens in 5-6 years, the chips will fall where they will fall.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      Oh mvcfans ...
      Re: How long before the AAC implodes?

Postby BCPanther » March 19th, 2019, 10:10 pm

The football schools are getting $7M.

Wichita is getting substantially less.

Leaving looks worse every single day. The TV situation is pretty much exactly the same. The at large chances aren't any better. They've exponentially increased travel costs.
      That's hilarious mental gymnastics. Sure, $2 million is substantially less than $7M, but the implication was that $2M isn't an upgrade from what we were getting in the MVC. But it's literally $2 million more.

The TV situation is not "pretty much exactly" the same. Most of our conference games in the MVC were ESPN3--now it's network or CBBSN. Some of our games in the future may be ESPN+, but it' clear that's the direction ESPN is going with most of its content.

At large chances are substantially better in the AAC because of the top 100 teams in the AAC. This year there were 10 top 100 teams in the AAC, none in the MVC. If we played this year in the MVC, we might be 25-7, but we'd have no top 100 conference wins, and we'd need to win the conference tournament to get into the NCAA. Our potential seeding for at large berths greatly increased with the move to the AAC. IF--and that's a HUGE if--the MVC ever gets another at large bid, it's unlikely to be a high single digit (high meaning 1-6).

LOL at "leaving looks worse every single day." This guy's a dweeb. Leaving looks better every single day. Every. Single. Day.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I seriously doubt the BE is an option. Unless there is a massive shakeup in the BE, they have and still remain a conference of private Catholic schools. Who knows, the new president might bring back football AND turn WSU into a private school!

Comment

• Shock Top
          Shock Top commented
          Editing a comment
          Change the name back to The University of Wichita

Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
        I seriously doubt the BE is an option. Unless there is a massive shakeup in the BE, they have and still remain a conference of private Catholic schools. Who knows, the new president might bring back football AND turn WSU into a private school!
        What?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

That's hilarious mental gymnastics. Sure, $2 million is substantially less than $7M, but the implication was that $2M isn't an upgrade from what we were getting in the MVC. But it's literally $2 million more.

The TV situation is not "pretty much exactly" the same. Most of our conference games in the MVC were ESPN3--now it's network or CBBSN. Some of our games in the future may be ESPN+, but it' clear that's the direction ESPN is going with most of its content.

At large chances are substantially better in the AAC because of the top 100 teams in the AAC. This year there were 10 top 100 teams in the AAC, none in the MVC. If we played this year in the MVC, we might be 25-7, but we'd have no top 100 conference wins, and we'd need to win the conference tournament to get into the NCAA. Our potential seeding for at large berths greatly increased with the move to the AAC. IF--and that's a HUGE if--the MVC ever gets another at large bid, it's unlikely to be a high single digit (high meaning 1-6).

LOL at "leaving looks worse every single day." This guy's a dweeb. Leaving looks better every single day. Every. Single. Day.
          The Valley is irrelevant

Comment

If two football schools leave, leave football at 10 schools and add SLU and Dayton.
            The Assman

Comment

Looks to me like another step toward pay TV.
              "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

I just don’t see how ESPN+ is a positive in any sense. It’s basically ESPN trying to double-dip for content that was previously included with traditional ESPN. I think in 10 years, 95 percent of games on the traditional ESPN channels will be P5 teams playing. The rest will be on ESPN+.

Comment

• ShockerEngr
                  ShockerEngr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's better than cbs sports... which is stupid hard to find on an OTT streaming service. I think hulu live tv was the only one that had it. all the other channels are relatively straightforward to get.

• Steeleshocker
                  Steeleshocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CBS Sports is on PS Vue and YouTube TV. (I know because I had both at various points this season). And you can login using both on the CBS Sports app which lets you stream on your phone or chromecast device. I don't think it's as bad as everyone was making it out to be.

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                I just don’t see how ESPN+ is a positive in any sense. It’s basically ESPN trying to double-dip for content that was previously included with traditional ESPN. I think in 10 years, 95 percent of games on the traditional ESPN channels will be P5 teams playing. The rest will be on ESPN+.
                That is the great fear. If this is what ESPN has in mind, then this deal is the AAC selling its soul for money and sacrificing exposure. Exposure is not something worth sacrificing for some extra dough in my less than humble opinion. Personally, I have little desire to give ESPN more of my hard earned cash. Collecting souls is hard, ******* work.

The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

One thing the mvc is forgetting is that one source of revenue will be drying up shortly. The revenue from the NCAA shares WSU left behind when they joined the aac

Comment

• ShockerEngr
                    ShockerEngr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Loyola run last year will help with that, but they'll need to do better than one and done in the future.

The Illinois budget problems is probably the bigger issue.

Originally posted by giskard View Post
                  Bringing football back will probably depend a lot on how the next WSU president feels about it.
                  And if the new president wants football we should look at the next candidate.

Comment

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not a problem, the BOR doesn’t want WSU to have football; if they approved, KU would want a program too.

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                  yeah, fukk that

Comment

How will the AAC’s new television deal with ESPN affect how fans watch Shocker sports?

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...228605334.html
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                    X