No announcement yet.

2011 Puerto Rico Tip-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, this year is much more important than last. A win against Colorado pits us against a ranked Alabama team (that I am confident will POUND Maryland) and then we would get either Temple, Iona, or Purdue... The first two being ideal RPI wise, Purdue being recognition wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
      No, this year is much more important than last. A win against Colorado pits us against a ranked Alabama team (that I am confident will POUND Maryland) and then we would get either Temple, Iona, or Purdue... The first two being ideal RPI wise, Purdue being recognition wise.
      Right, that takes the pressure off the rest of the non-con schedule, but last year we really nearly HAD to beat UConn to get into the dance. It was almost that critical.

Actually maybe I better check the RPIs of the rest of our non-con opponents. Maybe we are back in nearly the same situation again and I don't even realize it. I am not paying as much attention as last year.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by shocker heights View Post
        I'm absolutely sure someone posted this somewhere else, but seniors can get all session tickets for $40.00 - half price. The catch is that you MUST pick up the tickets at the arena.
        Where did you find this information?
        ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
        www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

Yes this year's non conference schedule after the tournament is better. Probably four top 100 teams are left to play and two of them could easily be top 50, if not top 25. However if we lose to Colorado we probably lost the opportunity to to play two more top 50 or better teams. And more than likely a loss to the Buffs would go down as a bad one.
          In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
            And more than likely a loss to the Buffs would go down as a bad one.
            Was right there with ya until that last sentence. I don't see any scenario where losing to the Buffs is going to be a "bad loss". Losing to them will most definitely not be in the same category as the SIU loss last year, or Evansville the year before that. I just don't see them being a 200+ RPI team. Let's just win and not have to worry about it. :)

Comment

Losing to Colorado would be huge. It would negate the opportunity to play Alabama which is a top 25 team. Bama will beat Maryland. Maryland has injuries. I see it as a 95% chance Bama wins that game.

So losing to CU which I imagine will end the season around 140ish in the RPI, would put us up against Maryland which is also a 100+ RPI team, and we'd win to play someone like Western Michigan or possibly Iona. Which wouldn't be awful games, but at the same time I don't think WMU will be above 50ish, Iona could be though, but Colorado is a make or break game for us this year. It really is.
              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I agree with @kai: on where Colorado will end up. They are not very good. They were no match for Creighton in their scrimmage. It would go down as a bad loss.
                In the fast lane

Comment

I agree with @kai: on where Colorado will end up. They are not very good. They were no match for Creighton in their scrimmage. It would go down as a bad loss.
                  I agree with @kai: on where they will end up too. But my conclusion is different. I don't think losing to a 140 RPI at a neutral site at the beginning of the season will end up being a "bad loss". "Tough loss" and unfortunate because it puts tremendous pressure on the rest of our non-con results (for the missed opportunities that will likely result in PRico), but it isn't "make or break" us as far as the NCAA tournament goes like UConn was last year. Important? Hell ya. Cause for complete Shockernet melt down because the NCAA tourny is out of the question, like UConn's loss practically was last year? No. That's all I'm saying.

I just don't think you guys are remembering how important UConn was last year to keep making that comparison.

Edit: Actually you guys weren't making that comparison someone else was. You guys are just saying it will knock us out of the NCAA, short of winning SLou.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    I agree with @kai on where they will end up too. But my conclusion is different. I don't think losing to a 140 RPI at a neutral site at the beginning of the season will end up being a "bad loss". "Tough loss" and unfortunate because it puts tremendous pressure on the rest of our non-con results (for the missed opportunities that will likely result in PRico), but it isn't "make or break" us as far as the NCAA tournament goes like UConn was last year. Important? Hell ya. Cause for complete Shockernet melt down because the NCAA tourny is out of the question, like UConn's loss practically was last year? No. That's all I'm saying.

I just don't think you guys are remembering how important UConn was last year to keep making that comparison.

Edit: Actually you guys weren't making that comparison someone else was. You guys are just saying it will knock us out of the NCAA, short of winning SLou.
                    Well I'm not even saying that losing to CU will make us not be an at large bid candidate, I'm just saying that losing to CU would be a huge loss in the potential department.

Like I said, Bama is all but a lock to be Maryland in my opinion, so basically beating CU guarantees that our next opponent will be a top 25 team. Alabama is ranked 19th in the AP, and 17th in the Coaches right now. That won't change going into Puerto Rico. So losing the opportunity to play a top 25 team is what is the biggest let down. Will it be as big as losing to UCONN? No way. We won't play Chaminade as our consolation game. But it's the lost opportunity. Because in reality, Bama aside from maybe Creighton, or one of our non-con teams that we play later in the non-con season, or the BracketBuster game, is the only Top 25 team we will have on our schedule.

Not to mention that ESPN will probably be all over the NIT rematch storyline, since ESPN owns the right to both tournaments, the NIT and the PRTO. So beating CU is actually a very huge thing in my eyes.
                    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

No, we would still have a better shot at the dance than last year. It would just make it harder because of the two lost opportunities. I guess we just disagree on what the commitee considers bad losses.
                      In the fast lane

Comment

I think the Seeding Committee at the 2011 Puerto Rico Tip-off should have made one change: Western Michigan versus Alabama and therefore Temple versus Maryland. That did not happen so we ended ip witht the following seeds:

#1-Temple
                        #2-Alabama
                        #3-Wichita State
                        #4-Purdue
                        #5-Iona
                        #6-Colorado
                        #7-Maryland
                        #8-Western Michigan

I agree losing to Colorado will be bad and having to play Maryland will not be good. I think Maryland is already down to seven players and had open-tryouts to fill out the rest of their roster for this season. Also, Western Michigan and Iona are going to be pretty good teams. I would not be surprised to see both of these teams win their respective first games, (you heard that first here). Getting on the winners side of the bracket, just like at Maui last year is the key, but if not then we have to go 2 and 1. We do have some chances later on in the season. Let's not have to wait for the rest of the season. Let's start putting some nails in this "NCAA Tourny drought coffin" now.
                        Last edited by WuShock Reaper; November 11, 2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

No, we would still have a better shot at the dance than last year. It would just make it harder because of the two lost opportunities. I guess we just disagree on what the commitee considers bad losses.
                          Right, and that's all subjective anyway. Taste great? Less filling!

Comment

Will the tourney be televised?

Comment

Originally posted by BioShock View Post
                              Kind of
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by BioShock View Post
                                Here is the bracket with what channel each game will be on. http://www.puertoricotipoff.com/home...bracket_et.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X