Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSU vs Cincinnati Pregame and Game Thread (conf. tourn.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I for 1 am glad we won 2 in the tournament. I am ok that we lost a game we didn't deserve to win. I am looking forward to see how coach will shake up the current scholies to make room for incomers. Better than expected season. Lot of unexpected surprises, good and bad .

Comment

• I have learned to really love this team.in all families there are growing pains even when the kids get older, but these kids never quit!

Comment

• Far be it from me to suggest that WSU would in any way be better off with Randy Smithson at the helm than Gregg Marshall -- I think we've all seen how that experiment worked out -- but 3G did show a blind spot about Shocker lore that Randy would not have missed at the end today. Personally, I would much rather have seen the final play set up for a three and the win than for McDuffie to attack the basket, because (especially considering the contact Duff absorbed with no foul being called as he made his move) a three was the only way the game realistically could end at 66-65. And that's a score the Shocks should try to reach any time they can do so in the closing few seconds.

Having said that, McDuffie WAS fouled -- not because Mike Kennedy said so, but because he absolutely was. You can almost guarantee that if Jarron Cumberland had made the same move he'd have been shooting two free throws to tie the game. Of course, having said THAT, it's also hard to blame the refs for all the offensive rebounds WSU gave up, which is where things really got away today. Grab even a few of those misses and there's no need for a last second shot to tie. That truly had to be one of the worst -- and costliest -- rebounding efforts, or lack thereof, I've ever seen from the Shocks, and that more than anything else is why they aren't playing Houston tomorrow.

Still, despite the frustrating end for now, what a terrific comeback season from the Shocks, what an outstanding job by Marshall and his staff of keeping the ship afloat, and what an impressive finish to the season by McDuffie (and also SHJ). I hope they get to play on, and I hope they get to do so at least once at Koch Arena.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Did you see his press conference after our game? Look at it. He said some really nice things about Wichita State and Coach Marshall. Muller and Wardie would never do that and didnt. There is no comparison.
          Check out Cronin's comments - you did not hear these comments from MVC coaches

Comment

• Topshock
            Topshock commented
            Editing a comment
            Love Cronin. This is what you get when you have secure coaches working for great programs. Programs that want the other programs in their league to get better because they know that will only help their own program. This is what you get when the coaches and programs respect each other and because of that know it's OK to lose once in awhile within the league. This is everything the MVC wasn't.

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice to rid ourselves of the ankle bitters.

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post

Cronin > Muller
          Cronin > Wardle
          Cronin > Muller + Wardle
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• im4wsu
            im4wsu commented
            Editing a comment
            Cronin > Muller x Wardle
            Cronin > Muller ^ Wardle

• Muller and Wardle would make nice janitors for Cronin's basketball office.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Last year, I really didn’t like Cronin. But, my respect for him has grown considerably this year. He is a very fine coach and one that I hope we have along rivalry with.

Comment

• For me, the biggest missed opportunity was when we had just tied it at 62 and Cumberland turned the ball over. Cumberland picked up foul #4 right after. This possession was our chance to take a lead. SHJ had scored 6 points by getting a big switched on him and going to the hole. The ball is inbounded and SHJ gets Cumberland (4 fouls!) switched on him.. GO TO THE RACK! Instead, he misses a step back and Cincy goes down and makes a free throw. No way Cumberland is going to contest a layup with four fouls. It was the perfect opportunity to either foul Cumberland out or drive for a bucket.

Comment

• pinstripers
                pinstripers commented
                Editing a comment
                yep

• I, too enjoy Cronin and enjoy watching him operate on the sidelines, walking up and down, smirking. He is colorful and seems to be a good guy. Can't deny he is an excellent coach.

Comment

• Burton had 5 of 7 of our assists. Cinn. had an advantage in rebounding, bench points, and points in the paint. If they would have made their throws to the tune of a mild roar, we would have been in trouble. Could Burton be our next defensive stopper? Cumberland only had 11 points and was quite frustrated. Mr. Burton played a nice role in slowing him down and few accomplish that.
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                  Burton had 5 of 7 of our assists. Cinn. had an advantage in rebounding, bench points, and points in the paint. If they would have made their throws to the tune of a mild roar, we would have been in trouble. Could Burton be our next defensive stopper? Cumberland only had 11 points and was quite frustrated. Mr. Burton played a nice role in slowing him down and few accomplish that.
                  Glad you mentioned Burton, forevershockerfan . I somethings feel I beat his drum too often. In addition to 5 of our 7 assists and defense on Cumberland, he was 3-5 FG / 2-2 3pt / 9 points / 4 rebounds (only Dexter had more) / 2 steals / only 1 turnover.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Glad you mentioned Burton, forevershockerfan . I somethings feel I beat his drum too often. In addition to 5 of our 7 assists and defense on Cumberland, he was 3-5 FG / 2-2 3pt / 9 points / 4 rebounds (only Dexter had more) / 2 steals / only 1 turnover.
                    Agree with both of you guys on JB. One other thing I really liked about JB yesterday was he went to the cup and scored a layup. What was different is that he used his left forearm to hold off the big cincy center. All of our guys JB, DD, ES, and RT, need to do this more. It will require getting stronger and playing smarter. Go shocks.

Comment

• As JB gets our System down pat, keeps improving his outside shot, ball handling, and can continue to muscle smaller guards as he drives inside, watch out. He can also play the 2, defend the 1, 2, or 3. We have more solid guards incoming, but beating him out of the lineup will be like pulling hens teeth.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Burton was absolutely key to the Shockers late-season success. Undisputed starting point by the end of the year. Did a good job "running" the team.

Comment

Working...
                        X