Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seth Davis believes....

2. Who will be this year's VCU?
    It was truly incredible that in the very first expanded NCAA tournament in 26 years, Shaka Smart's VCU Rams made it all the way from the First Four to the Final Four. Could it possibly happen again this season?

It's doubtful, of course, but there's no shortage of candidates. For starters, I've got my eye on two teams from the Missouri Valley. Creighton boasts arguably the best player in all of midmajordom, 6-foot-7 sophomore forward Doug McDermott, whose father, Greg, is the Bluejays' coach. McDermott is not quite Jimmerific, but he's a heady, versatile scorer who shined over the summer for USA Basketball at the Under-19 world championships. Meanwhile, Gregg Marshall's Wichita State Shockers lost several starters from the group that won the NIT, but he has been stockpiling talent for years and his program is bound to break through sometime soon.

Elsewhere, Harvard brings its entire roster back from the team that came within a fallaway buzzer beater of reaching its first NCAA tournament in 65 years, and Detroit has an excellent chance to unseat Butler in the Horizon League thanks to the presence of 6-1 sophomore guard Ray McCallum, Jr. But the hands-down, set-your-DVR mid-major to watch this season is Belmont. Rick Byrd's Bruins play an exciting, up-tempo style that last year saw 11 players average at least 10 minutes per game. Belmont won 30 times and prevailed in the Atlantic Sun championship game by 41 points before bowing out to Wisconsin in the NCAA first round. That experience will be a boon for the nine players among those 11 who are back this season.

Belmont won't be easy to find on the tube, so be sure to give them a gander on Nov. 11. That's when the Bruins open the season at Duke. We won't have to wait long to see whether this team has the chops to pull a VCU next March.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1b9jvLGeu

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
    Meanwhile, Gregg Marshall's Wichita State Shockers lost several starters from the group that won the NIT, but he has been stockpiling talent for years
    Not sure I can buy into the "stockpiling talent for years". Trying to think who that would be. Stockpiling implies a strong redshirt program or at least a steady pipeline of talent. The only redshirt we have is Randall Vatravers, a walk-on who will see little if any playing time. We had to dip into the Juco ranks the past couple of years to fill voids in the pipeline. Half of our roster has never even played in a D-1 game. Hopefully, his outlook proves correct although his understanding of our program at this point may be deficient.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Not sure I can buy into the "stockpiling talent for years". Trying to think who that would be. Stockpiling implies a strong redshirt program or at least a steady pipeline of talent. The only redshirt we have is Randall Vatravers, a walk-on who will see little if any playing time. We had to dip into the Juco ranks the past couple of years to fill voids in the pipeline. Half of our roster has never even played in a D-1 game. Hopefully, his outlook proves correct although his understanding of our program at this point may be deficient.
      Easy mistake to make. 5 seniors on the roster last year. 6 seniors on the roster this year. 5 Juniors on the roster this year. That sure looks like reloading instead of rebuilding - and sure looks like a coach who's been "stockpiling talent for years".
      Last edited by Aargh; October 18, 2011, 03:21 PM.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Easy mistake to make. 5 seniors on the roster last year. 6 seniors on the roster this year. 5 Juniors on the roster this year. That sure looks like reloading instead of rebuilding - and sure looks like a coach who's been "stockpiling talent for years".
        True, assuming he even looked at the roster.

Comment

True, assuming he even looked at the roster.
          "seth sucks"

Comment

Originally posted by dbrooks45 View Post
            "seth sucks"

Solid first post.
            There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

Randall has played a few minutes this year. I believe Ron Baker is the red shirt.
              "Say it slowly and savor it..."
              Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Working...
              X