AAC Tournament discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAC Tournament discussion

Pat Forde appears to be picking WSU to win it.

AMERICAN ATHLETIC

League Pomeroy ranking: Sixth of 32.

Top seed: Houston (29-2 overall, 16-2 in the league).

NCAA tournament outlook: Houston, Cincinnati and Central Florida look like locks. Temple may have punched its ticket by winning six of its last seven. Everyone else needs to win the tourney.

Sleeper: Wichita State. A team loaded with newcomers lurched out to a 1-6 conference start, then won nine of its last 11.

Most intriguing early round matchup: A potential 4-5 UCF-Memphis game in the quarterfinals Friday.

Boss of the sidelines: Kelvin Sampson (Houston) and Gregg Marshall (Wichita) have been to the Final Four. But Cincinnati’s Mick Cronin has the longest active streak of NCAA tourney appearances — this year will be his ninth.

Minutes pick: Wichita State (22). The Shockers will have to make shots, which is no sure thing, but they’ll guard and board and make life difficult for anyone assigned to eliminate them.

Yeah, if I wanted MY (real) team to win and not overlook anyone, I'd probably pick a complete underdog too. The odds are slim. Very slim, but hopefully we have a moment to shine.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
      Yeah, if I wanted MY (real) team to win and not overlook anyone, I'd probably pick a complete underdog too. The odds are slim. Very slim, but hopefully we have a moment to shine.
      Haha yeah, I'm sure Pat is just trying to bring good JuJu. We won't win this thing, but it will still be fun to watch. Getting ready to hit the road to Memphis as we speak. Go Shocks!

Comment

Play Angry.

Not Satisfied.

How about a new slogan to embed with our new dudes.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Lets just take one game at a time.

Comment

I would pick Memphis as the underdog and I think they can do it

Comment

• bighouse
              bighouse commented
              Editing a comment
              Memphis better hope Martin is on for 4 strait days, because if he's not they are average. The way he is playing right now, I wouldn't bet against it though.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            I would pick Memphis as the underdog and I think they can do it
            The ONLY reason i think they can do it is because they get a home court advantage.

Comment

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              A big reason

I want to be optimistic but even in my wildest dreams I have a hard time imagining WSU getting past Saturday.

Ok, so maybe my wildest dreams involve four wins in Memphis and one win in the tourney.

I’m pretty much in line with what the majority have predicted. I think we should win tomorrow. We have a decent chance to upset Temple although I think we’ll need one or two guys to score above their average while everyone else reaches theirs.

Of course we’ll need to focus 40 minutes on defense and limit turnovers to have a chance in any of the games after Thursday.

Cinci is beatable but it will take an @Tulsa like performance.

On the slim chance we make it that far I just can’t imagine us beating Houston unfortunately. They’re obviously very good. We’re playing better but haven’t necessarily done it against top competition plus it would be the fourth game in as many days.

I think I would consider winning two games a success. I want the opportunity to watch as many games as possible against good competition to see exactly how much we’ve improved (even if a one game sample can be misleading one way or the other).

My pick to win it all is Houston. And I’m so glad that we’re in a league where the conference tourney is this exciting. It’s like the glory days of the Valley but better because it should be sustainable and even has plenty of room to improve (us, UCONN, Memphis).

Comment

Why we have a chance:
              1. We know we can beat ECU and advance to game 2.
              2. We took Temple to OT when we weren’t very good. DD had not yet emerged and he can defend Shizz Alston. It will take a solid game by us to win this one but we can do it and advance to game 3.
              3. Cincy has a tendency to go cold. They have a cake walk in the first game and are a terrible matchup for us, but if the stars align, we can beat them. It will take a good offensive game from us, which is difficult against their defense.
              4. We have to hope UH gets knocked off by ina fluke game. It happens all the time and I would not be shocked to see it (central Florida or Memphis). If this happens, the stars have aligned and we have a chance to win it all.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                I want to be optimistic but even in my wildest dreams I have a hard time imagining WSU getting past Saturday.

Ok, so maybe my wildest dreams involve four wins in Memphis and one win in the tourney.

I’m pretty much in line with what the majority have predicted. I think we should win tomorrow. We have a decent chance to upset Temple although I think we’ll need one or two guys to score above their average while everyone else reaches theirs.

Of course we’ll need to focus 40 minutes on defense and limit turnovers to have a chance in any of the games after Thursday.

Cinci is beatable but it will take an @Tulsa like performance.

On the slim chance we make it that far I just can’t imagine us beating Houston unfortunately. They’re obviously very good. We’re playing better but haven’t necessarily done it against top competition plus it would be the fourth game in as many days.

I think I would consider winning two games a success. I want the opportunity to watch as many games as possible against good competition to see exactly how much we’ve improved (even if a one game sample can be misleading one way or the other).

My pick to win it all is Houston. And I’m so glad that we’re in a league where the conference tourney is this exciting. It’s like the glory days of the Valley but better because it should be sustainable and even has plenty of room to improve (us, UCONN, Memphis).
                My hopes come from the fact that there is not a single team in this league that weren't competitive with at least once. @Houston we were in the game the whole way. Cincy at home could have been a win if we didn't get the Cumberland reffing treatment on the double tech.

The only team that doesn't fall into that is USF because we played them one time during our slump only. Not likely we will face them in the AAC tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

My hopes come from the fact that there is not a single team in this league that weren't competitive with at least once. @Houston we were in the game the whole way. Cincy at home could have been a win if we didn't get the Cumberland reffing treatment on the double tech.

The only team that doesn't fall into that is USF because we played them one time during our slump only. Not likely we will face them in the AAC tourney.
                  This is where Im at as well. We obviously need to shoot above our average and need SHJ and MM to be good.

Our hopes will also rest with our defense being able to avoid having one player go off. And limit 2nd chance points.

But we have shown we can hang with anyone. But it will take a great effort to do it.

Bottom line, we have the talent to win it all, but we have to play smart and to our fullest potential.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Regarding your first comment, SHJ and MM need to get out of their overall shooting funk. While I'm not convinced that SHJ should be relied on for this (.363 FG / .311 3pt for the season), he needs to take the open jumper and hit it. MM has not had a good shooting game since Feb 9th at home against Tulane (.315 FG / .239 3pt over the last 7 games). He shot 4-9 FG once, but was 1-4 from 3. HIs one good 3pt effort, 3-6 against Memphis, was countered by a 2-9 inside the arc. Even his FT shooting is down (for him) over the last 6 games at .744 which is a drop from his .840 effort for the season prior to then.

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    MM has lost his legs and he doesn’t have much to lose... those are some skinny legs. :)

I would really like for Marshall to keep his streak (and WSU's) alive. It will take some things breaking right:

1. WSU needs the right matchups
                  2. WSU needs a good shooting weekend
                  3. WSU needs their seniors to play like there is no tomorrow
                  4. WSU needs their frosh to play like Soph
                  5. WSU big men need to play well
                  6. Then a little luck would be nice

Comment

Maybe I'm reading things between the lines that isn't there but I think in listening to some of the team lately talking, Our TEAM thinks they can win it all and that is a very important state of mind.

Comment

Underestimate a Gregg Marshall coached team at your own peril.

We're not the best team in the conference, we're not the 3rd best team in the conference.

But we're pretty good, getting better and fairly dangerous if we shoot the ball just a little bit and/or have a reason.

And again, underestimate Gregg Marshall at your own peril.

That is all.

Comment

• pie n eye
                        pie n eye commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Will be interesting to see how we fare as the underdog in the conference tourney after coming up short as the favorite in prior years.

• WstateU
                        WstateU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "That is all."

No, we want more!

Hopefully a good omen --

The K&O Shocker engine is in Great Bend and has been in the Ellinwood/Great Bend area for a couple of weeks. Today it was back and forth in front of McDonalds three or four times within a 30-minute period. Alas, I did not have my cell phone to take pics.
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• tgcshock
                        tgcshock commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Royal, I don't own a cell phone so I go out without one all the time. Unlike im4wsu there is no "alas" with me; I don't regret it.

• JVShocker
                        JVShocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wait a minute...so I'm not the ONLY person in the world who doesn't have their own cell phone?

• wufan
                        wufan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You two are the only people over the age of 14 without a cell phone.
                    Working...
                    X