I'm going to take a leap here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to take a leap here...

and say that WHILE HE WON'T GET IT, Marshall deserves some run for AAC Coach of the Year......to take this group of ingredients and finish 6th is pretty remarkable....and I'm NOT his hugest fan.

Well done....

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
    and say that WHILE HE WON'T GET IT, Marshall deserves some run for AAC Coach of the Year......to take this group of ingredients and finish 6th is pretty remarkable....and I'm NOT his hugest fan.

Well done....
    While I agree it was a great job.. it's Sampsons. He won the league by 2 games in a very good league, and only lost 2 games all year. We all hated when Marshall got snubbed because someone "overachieved" in the Valley. I'd hate for the AAC to do the same to other coaches, this league is better than that.

On top of that, Gregory is by the most deserving in the "over achievers" category.

Comment

I said if we finished .500 or better, 3G should win it. While Sampson will win it, you wonder how he would have fared with the 3rd youngest team and 31st toughest schedule in the nation.

Big assist goes to our staff, which has rounded into pretty solid form as well as the season has went on.

Last, thank you to the players, especially the newcomers for allowing themselves to be coached and enduring some not so flattering ass chewings by the man himself.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        Big assist goes to our staff, which has rounded into pretty solid form as well as the season has went on.
        This is maybe the most encouraging long-term development this season. It appears we have a full compliment of legitimate, high D1 worthy AC’s again.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

While I agree it was a great job.. it's Sampsons. He won the league by 2 games in a very good league, and only lost 2 games all year. We all hated when Marshall got snubbed because someone "overachieved" in the Valley. I'd hate for the AAC to do the same to other coaches, this league is better than that.

On top of that, Gregory is by the most deserving in the "over achievers" category.
          Agree with the Sampson...they are AWESOME....but not with Gregory....even though it is splitting hairs...

Comment

Sampson has done a great job building that program. He inherited crap players and a crap fanbase. They should be a strong program as long as he’s around.

Comment

Sampson deserves it. Marshall would not be in my top 4. I would reward it for excellence, not for sucking less than expected - that is so MVCish.

1. Sampson
              2. Dawkins
              3. Cronin
              4. Dunphy

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                Sampson deserves it. Marshall would not be in my top 4. I would reward it for excellence, not for sucking less than expected - that is so MVCish.

1. Sampson
                2. Dawkins
                3. Cronin
                4. Dunphy
                All four of those guys you mentioned are somewhat deserving, but 'excellence' is not always winning the title...it can be taking a rugged situation and make it something way beyond what it could be.

I would contend that Dawkins UNDERPERFORMED with that lineup....how is HE worthy??

Comment

• bighouse
                  bighouse commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The fact that Donnie jones can't coach is not relevant. UCF finished 6th last year due to injurys mostly. They were the preseason favorite, had the preseason player of the year and a ton of returners including a 7'6 game changer and finished the 4 seed. Thats not coach of the year. And I don't think 3G is either, but he would be more deserving than Dawkins.

• SB Shock
                  SB Shock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would have no heart burn switching them.

• molly jabali
                  molly jabali commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nor would I....I think Dawkins is a very good coach...but your analogy about what he has done after Jones has no bearing on THIS team...HE SHOULD be COY, with what he had coming back, but they have NOT been as good as Houston And Cincy, both who had bigger rebuilds....I just think Marshall WITH WHAT HE HAS(partly his making , I know) has done better...

bighouse - it less about UCF underachieving and Houston and CINCY just being better than anybody thought. You have to give Cronin credit - he is about to reach his 9th straight NCAA tournament. WSU fans found out this year that after 7 it just not a gimme and can not be taken for granted.

Comment

• bighouse
                  bighouse commented
                  Editing a comment
                  and yet you would rank Cronin behind Dawkins?

While I agree that Gregg isn't the COY for the AAC this year, his job of blending nine new players (not a single burger boy or even 4* amongst them) into a pretty fine D1 team indicates he's earned that $3.5M (or whatever it is this year) salary. I'm bummed his streak of 25-win seasons is over, and most likely NCAA streak as well, but he's building another tough team that will be extremely competitive in the AAC for the next few years for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                  While I agree that Gregg isn't the COY for the AAC this year, his job of blending nine new players (not a single burger boy or even 4* amongst them) into a pretty fine D1 team indicates he's earned that $3.5M (or whatever it is this year) salary. I'm bummed his streak of 25-win seasons is over, and most likely NCAA streak as well, but he's building another tough team that will be extremely competitive in the AAC for the next few years for sure.
                  Belushi.jpg

78-65

Comment

As I stated several weeks ago I think GM and staff have done an excellent job with this years team. That being said. This league rewards championship performance rather that awarding participation ribbons.

Comment

I’d like to bump this... I have no issue with Kelvin and Cronin getting it, but seeing again IN PERSON taking this stew of a group from January to yesterday is pretty amazing... I more than stand by original premise.

Comment

Working...
                      X