Official JB appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

Are there really many examples of players who were poor shooters who “worked on it” over the summer and became decent shooters? I’m sure there are some but they would seem to be the rare exception. It’s seems to me to be the type of thing that you are what you are for the most part. I’m sure he’s worked on shooting all his life. He’s not suddenly going to become a shooter imo.
    Paul Miller. Graham Hatch. Aubrey Sherrrod (jk)

Comment

Are there really many examples of players who were poor shooters who “worked on it” over the summer and became decent shooters? I’m sure there are some but they would seem to be the rare exception. It’s seems to me to be the type of thing that you are what you are for the most part. I’m sure he’s worked on shooting all his life. He’s not suddenly going to become a shooter imo.
      My recollection is that Evan Wessel worked on it between March 20, 2015 and March 22, 2015, and he turned into an excellent shooter. Unfortunately, he did eventually revert back to his prior stats.

In all seriousness, there are all sorts of players who became better shooters by working on it. In the NBA, Jason Kidd and Kawhi Leonard are the first two that come to mind. While I think Burton is actually closer to a 72% free throw shooter, WstateU is right on the money. A decent free throw shooter is a great sign that someone can improve their outside shot.

Comment

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        JB can shoot 10-12 footers pretty consistently. No reason he can’t extend out a bit in the future. He has kind of a sling shot release that I think needs to be shortened up a bit but then again i’ll leave that to the professionals.

Tekele Cotton worked on it constantly and it took him a couple of years before he was really confident of hitting free throws at a high percentage and 3 pointers during some of our biggest moments in the F4 NCAA Tourney.

JB may have more confidence than Cotton as a Freshman. He is making free throws at a high percentage. He is also pretty consistently hitting 15-17 footers now. Probably his biggest advantage is that he doesn't seem to continue shooting and forcing shots if he misses a couple. One reason he is shooting 3 pointers better is that he isn't a high volume shooter, he doesn't shoot them unless he is wide open, and if he misses, he doesn't continue shooting.

If we would get a shooter or two over 40%, I'd feel a lot better. We've usually had a 40 % 3 point shooter or two or during our best two years, we had Cleanthony Early who could get a 3 point shot off whenever he wanted (it seemed), and he shot around 40%. We have slashers and drivers but we need to have the consistent outside shot solidified.

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Umm, no. Cle could get shot off whenever he wanted, but didn't shoot 40% from 3. Shot .318 junior year, .378 his senior year. He was, however, a big time game shooter from 3. 4-7 Gonzaga, 2-5 Ohio St, 2-4 Louisville, and 4-6 Kentucky. That's 12-22 from 3 against those 4 in the Dance.

I think it's important to remember that JB was injured his junior year and missed a season of basketball in high school and on the AAU circuit. My point being that he's a year behind in some respects in his development. The fact he's playing the point is also interesting as he really didn't expect to play the point. Here's a cool quote he gave to the Eagle the day Marshall landed him:

"They envision me as a point guard, but I can also play the three spot," Burton said. "But basketball is becoming positionless, so they're excited about my versatility and ability to play different positions. Honestly, I just want to do whatever is in the best interest to help my team win."

Comment

I was disappointed when Lomax decommitted and also was not sold on Burton for the first half of the season. He’s really come a long way in his decision making and overall play. I think we got the better PG in the end.

Comment

• Shock Top
          Shock Top commented
          Editing a comment
          Bigger, Stronger, Better Shooter.

Lomax is an exceptional defender though. So if Burton can get close to the same ability, WSU won the exchange.

• Bluzrover
          Bluzrover commented
          Editing a comment
          That same Eagle article quotes Burton's coach describing Burton's defense and desire to guard every team's best player. Perhaps he'll equal, if not better Lomax in that regard as well. Time will tell but I'm impressed with the way he has taken over the point and the way the offense responds to his calm leadership.

JB has played the majority of the PG mins and led this team to a 10-8 finish in (imo) a deeper AAC than we saw last year. For being thrown to the wolves, the kid has done a very nice job of playing PG in this system and trying to lead this team. He's big and physical, and I haven't seen him back down yet. I'll take it. Even if he doesn't become a 35%-40% 3pt shooter, I'll take his grit and physicality. I do wish GGG would try and let him (and a couple others) go down hill more in the offense.
        -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

Working...
        X