Teddy or Dexter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teddy or Dexter?

So who might make the better PF? Who might make the better SF? It's pretty obvious that both players are going to see a lot of time on the court together.

Both are 6'5", short for a PF, but both have a good nose for the ball. Teddy averaged just under 2.7 rebounds a game in 12 minutes per game his freshman year and Dexter is averaging just over 5 rebounds in 25 minutes and more than that lately.

Teddy is a penetrator and not a 3 point threat. Dexter is a shooter, but no doubt he can slam it home and is very strong.

Dexter can stretch the defense at the 4, but has been playing the 3 or 2 all year. Teddy won't likely stretch the defense at the 4 or 3, but then, neither did Cotton from the 3.

How much time is really available at the 2 with Eric and Ty Etienne (and possibly Grant Sherfield given it seems everyone wants to add him)?

No doubt, time at the 4 is very available with Markis graduating, DeAntoni Gordon just coming in, and possibly IPBC playing both 4 and 5.

No poll, just a discussion.

I think Teddy is more of a PF than a Sf. But I think he can play the SF if asked to because he can get to the cup. I think Dexter is more of a Sf but one that can rebound. Dexter really needs to work on his dribbling. I am hoping he does not end up like Zack Brown and MM. Two guys that needed to improve their handles and never did it. I think this is the only thing lacking in Dexter game. And I am hoping Teddy has improved his shooting 3 pointers.

There both good rebounders. I think Teddy could of had more renounds at West Virginia but they had an experienced front line when he got there.

Comment

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      Playing devil's advocate here, but wouldn't having good handles be needed at the 3 like Cotton with a PG background? I'm also assuming that SFs have generally better handles than PFs.

If Dexter is playing the 4 then something has gone terribly wrong or Gregg has changed his offensive scheme.

Comment

From what I have seen of both DD probably doesn't have TA's skills around the basket and TA
      probably doesn't have DD's around the perimeter. ES, JB and probably JE round out the starting five
      but our second five could be pretty dang formidable, as well. My biggest concern at this point is team
      chemistry. ES, DD and JB already have established chemistry with one another and our centers so
      the question in my mind is how TA will impact it and how will the other newbies affect it. Will another
      new star emerge out of the freshman class?

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        But ES, DD, and JB don't play a lot together as SHJ plays a lot of SG or PG in the actual games and this doesn't even count RT's minutes. Also, they all have experience with TA in practice, shoot arounds, and scrimmages. So, if those 3 do play together a lot next year, you're going with TA at the 4? Does that fix what HCGM wants at the 4?

@AndShock: "If Dexter is playing the 4 then something has gone terribly wrong or Gregg has changed his offensive scheme. "

Don't disagree. What is Gregg's offensive scheme for the 4 and what's expected of them?

Comment

• asiseeit
        asiseeit commented
        Editing a comment
        I see TA as a four and DD as a three. I think ES starts at the two guard but will
        be in a rotation that will have him relieve DD when DD needs rest. Same kind of scenario with
        TE playing both point and the two. Will be interesting to see where DG fits in.......3 or 4?

Gregg likes hybrid combo guards, no reason to think we can't operate with a fleet of hybrid forwards that mesh between the two positions. I think we will see some odd lineups next year to really throw the competition for a loop. A couple different sets where we run two centers on the floor, and run some hybrid forwards. Could start to look a lot like those long lanky Cuse teams of the early to late 00's.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

TA is an inch taller and already heavier than Wessel was as a senior. I think we will see a decent amount of TA at the 4.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
          WSUwatcher commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, hook. Teddy will almost certainly start at PF and get the most minutes at that position of anyone.

andrian dantley was a 6'5" power forward who could score inside the lane with ease (college and nba). a select few that size have had a knack for that. i think teddy allen has some of that type game (minus dantley's rebounding, probably.. 10 per game for adrian).

allen can score like dantley'ish.. dennis can rebound like dantley'ish.

allen at the 4 dennis at the 3

'shockers are going to be really good next year
        Last edited by another shocker; March 6, 2019, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• IndianaShocker
          IndianaShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          AD was a good player, but not in the same Galaxy as another undersized 4....Charles Barkley. Obviously, TA doesn't have anything near the explosion & athleticism Sir Charles had, especially during his college years. However, he is another example of an undersized 4 having success as is Dreymond Green. Hell even Matt Renn from ISUb was a good undersized 4.

Teddy was a 35% 3 point shooter at Boys Town. He made 2.5 on 7 attempts per game, so not a small sample size.

Teddy is a 3/4 and Dexter is a 3 that COULD play the 2 if he improves his handles. Gregg will start his best 5 which will include TA, DD, and JE.

Burton and Stevenson will have some competition at the 1 and 2.

If Gordon can play the 4, then our second team will be salty regardless of who starts at the two guard slots.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Count me in for the Dex at 3 and TA at 4 bandwagon.

Both are short for the 4, but that's the trend in the game right now. TA's comparative lack of perimeter skills makes me think he'll see more time at the 4. IIRC, the 3 is traditionally the best all-around athlete on a team, and I think DD fits that mold.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Way too early guess at the starting lineup for the majority of next year games:

TE
            JB
            DD
            TA
            JE

Comment

Don’t fall asleep on Poor Bear. That’s our stretch-four right there. Love this guy’s ceiling.

Comment

I don't think we can afford to give up on any bigs unless they themselves want to leave.. Next year one senior big.. One Junior.. Two sophomores... perfect scenario

Comment

Originally posted by Lawman View Post
                  Don’t fall asleep on Poor Bear. That’s our stretch-four right there. Love this guy’s ceiling.
                  Poor Bear is Shaq Morris. He will blossom as an upperclassman.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just hope he's still here for us to witness it.

JB
                  DD
                  TA
                  JE
                  AM
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                  X