Ranking of Gregg's 50 best wins at WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Power Outlet View Post
    Great work by Paul S. As someone says above: The 2016 game vs Arizona (# 13) has always been one of my favorites. The defense in the first half was the best example of 'Play Angry' ever.
    Halftime sideline interview:
    Interviewer: "Gregg, Arizona is a really good offensive team, but you guys were able to hold them in check."
    Gregg (slightly annoyed tone...and by slightly, I mean A LOT): "Yeah, well, we're pretty good too."
    78-65

Comment

I was thinking about it, kind of wondering, anyone know what the criteria are for retirement of jerseys? What Fred and Ron did were simply outstanding, but more importantly, the more I think about it, Cotton may have been just as important. He was kind of the lightning rod for that entire style of play (angry). 3 guys that really put the Shocks on the world stage as far as NCAA Tourney basketball. Surely it isn't just about scoring points or getting rebounds?

Comment

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        at least Fred, and probably Ron as well should be up there in the rafters. I might advocate for Early as the third choice, although he may not make it since he was only a 2 year player.

Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
      I was thinking about it, kind of wondering, anyone know what the criteria are for retirement of jerseys? What Fred and Ron did were simply outstanding, but more importantly, the more I think about it, Cotton may have been just as important. He was kind of the lightning rod for that entire style of play (angry). 3 guys that really put the Shocks on the world stage as far as NCAA Tourney basketball. Surely it isn't just about scoring points or getting rebounds?
      I think that there has to be some All American status (some have said consensus AA) for a person to be considered for this honor. Dave Stallworth was definitely a consensus AA. This honor has been reserved for the most highly esteemed Shockers in the past. Cliff Levingston who I believe was a 3rd Team All American had some controversy attached to it. Therefore, Fred and Ron (I may be wrong but I think they received some 3rd Team AA mention but it may have just been Fred) would be the most likely but still not without discussion. Tekele, who was very important to the success of that era wouldn't be a consideration in my opinion. Those Shocker teams were very team oriented so there are others who could be mentioned also such as Cle Early. However, I have a feeling that some of those players may not be shoe ins for even the Shocker HOF. Bob Elmore for example didn't make the Shocker HOF until recently. I didn't do the research for this answer so those who know more about the criteria will obviously have more to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I think that there has to be some All American status (some have said consensus AA) for a person to be considered for this honor. Dave Stallworth was definitely a consensus AA. This honor has been reserved for the most highly esteemed Shockers in the past. Cliff Levingston who I believe was a 3rd Team All American had some controversy attached to it. Therefore, Fred and Ron (I may be wrong but I think they received some 3rd Team AA mention but it may have just been Fred) would be the most likely but still not without discussion. Tekele, who was very important to the success of that era wouldn't be a consideration in my opinion. Those Shocker teams were very team oriented so there are others who could be mentioned also such as Cle Early. However, I have a feeling that some of those players may not be shoe ins for even the Shocker HOF. Bob Elmore for example didn't make the Shocker HOF until recently. I didn't do the research for this answer so those who know more about the criteria will obviously have more to say.
        All-American status of WSU players can be found here on pages 104 and 105. The Elmore HOF thing was delayed do to "outside" considerations which were thankfully put to rest.

McBurney, Stallworth, McDaniel, and Early are the only "Consensus All-Americans".

Currently, the Sporting News, AP, NABC, and USBWA are used for the selection of consensus All-Americans.

Carr made 3rd team AP and 1st Sporting News. FVV made 3rd team NABC and Sporting News.

Anyone else was honorable mention.
        Last edited by ShockTalk; March 5, 2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for mentioning McBurney, he was a stud and 'schooled' me on several occasions. I've said it time and time again, Ross McBurney needs a spot in the rafters.... the guy could flat out ball.

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve posted something similar several times in the past and will continue to beat the Ross McBurney drum until this man is properly recognized by the university. If I was the WSU athletic director, this would have already been done.

“He then attended Wichita State University from 1926 to 1929, where he became the school's first basketball All-American in 1927.”

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...x-McBurney.jpg

• Shockm
          Shockm commented
          Editing a comment
          WOW WstateU. When did you compete against Ross McBurney? 1930 or 1940 perhaps? That is going back to place that almost all on here can't fathom. :) I need further clarification but you may be pushing 90-100 years old. I've always appreciated your loyalty to the Shocker cause, but If you are even close to that, I have more respect for you than ever. Keep it up for Ross.
      Working...
      X