Final Stretch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Stretch

What are everyone’s thoughts on the final remaining games? What would be our ideal seed to make a run in the conference tourney? I’m a little concerned about UConn just based on how they manhandled us in Storrs. Still think we’ll end up seeded 6th or 7th, most likely 7th but I haven’t really studied the schedules of the teams around us. The teams that concern me the most in the tourney are Cincy, Houston and Memphis. I think we can play with everyone else.

I do think we win out, Uconn has been terrible without Jalen Adams ( we should take care of them at home). Only iffy game on our schedule is at SMU. If we win out we take 6th, if we lose at 1, we take 7th. Going 9-9 to 10-8 would be pretty after starting out 1-6 in conference
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

My bet is we end up with the 7th seed, as we aren't passing Memphis now and I don't see a realistic scenario that we finish a game ahead of South Florida based on their schedule (and they own a tiebreaker over us).

So a 7th seed in the conference tournament against probably either UConn or SMU in the opening game, and probably Cincinnati if we are lucky enough to win that.

In that scenario, we likely avoid Houston and Memphis (barring a miracle run to the championship game) which I think are the teams we match up worst against.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Pickle View Post
        My bet is we end up with the 7th seed, as we aren't passing Memphis now and I don't see a realistic scenario that we finish a game ahead of South Florida based on their schedule (and they own a tiebreaker over us).

So a 7th seed in the conference tournament against probably either UConn or SMU in the opening game, and probably Cincinnati if we are lucky enough to win that.

In that scenario, we likely avoid Houston and Memphis (barring a miracle run to the championship game) which I think are the teams we match up worst against.
        Pretty much how I see it. I am hopeful we win out and USF loses one. That would have us tied for 6th, but as you mentioned would get the 7th seed.

If we would have won last night I had a good feeling about 5th.
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

We should take the 6th or 7th seed. Those would also be the seeds to have to avoid playing Memphis until the finals..

Assuming everyone wins who is supposed to win and Memphis and we both win, then here is how it would go:

Memphis (5-seed) plays 12-seed, then plays 4-seed (Temple), then 1-seed (Houston).

And here are ours for 6th and 7th seeds.
          WSU (6-seed) plays 11-seed, then plays 3-seed (UCF), then plays 2-seed (Cincinnati).
          WSU (7-seed) plays 10-seed, then plays 2-seed (Cincinnati), then plays 3-seed (UCF).

Comment

I want a 6 seed. I want to avoid the 7 seed because UCONN could likely end up the 10 seed and Adams is expected to be back for the AAC tourney.

The 2 possible losses for USF would be home vs UCF on Wednesday then on the road at UCONN on Sunday.

Comment

6 seed if we beat SMU and win the rest
              7 seed if we lose SMU and win the rest

We were 8th in the Preseason AAC poll. Exceeding expectations, it's the Gregg Marshall way.

Comment

I am all in for GM but we did not exceed expectations last year

Comment

• FadedCrown
                  FadedCrown commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just saying it tongue-in-cheek

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                I am all in for GM but we did not exceed expectations last year
                No but we were right there (Houston in AAC Tournament, and Cincy a 1 point loss the game before) with as many chances to win as not. Close games on the losing end but not against Illinois State and Northern Iowa. And we were a 4 seed (and Cincy and Houston were both at least 6 or 7 seeds). Better than the years before when we struggled for 7-11 Seeds with nationally ranked teams.
                Last edited by Shockm; February 25, 2019, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Topshock
                  Topshock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Last year should not be defended. It was an under achieving fail.

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not a fail to me. I’ll defend Landry, Shaq, and company all day and night. I still remember the 90s and am still one thankful loyalist. You’re either a young buck with a shallow point of view or an old one with a bad memory. Either way, it’s on you.

The game that most concerns me is this week vs UCONN. Their big men destroyed us last time. I think we'll easily beat SMU though.

Comment

• Stickboy46
                  Stickboy46 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They are a different team without adams though.

2018-2019 Shocker theme song. Unfortunately, I have the 'blues' today, but this does help... :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                  Shocktoberfest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweet pick WstateU. Why can't we have a halftime like that?

• Kung Wu
                  Kung Wu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wolfman Jack! Daaaang!

Looks like it will be either 6th or 7th place. Either one looks like it will allow us to avoid Memphis or Houston until the finals, should we make it that far.

We would have to totally implode for Tulsa to overtake us for the 7th seed, as they have only 2 games left and still have to play at Memphis. We could theoretically pass South Florida for 6th, but that would likely require us winning out and them losing either on the road at UConn or in the finale at home against SMU.

Comment

7 seed is almost a lock at this point. We lose tiebreakers to USF. We own tiebreakers over Tulsa. Could finish in a 6th place tie or 7th place all by ourselves.

Could've had 5th if we had beaten Memphis which would have been extraordinary. As it is now, we would play Cincy or Houston in the quarters, if we win our first round game, which absolutely sucks.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• newshock1234
                    newshock1234 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    they would have to drop just 1

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Aren't we both 7-8?

• ShockerFever
                    ShockerFever commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ah crap. You're right. I thought they were a game up on us. Well that certainly opens up things a little better. We should know how it's gonna go after this weekend. Both teams aren't losing their last two games (or shouldn't). USF's only change to stumble is at UConn and our chance to stumble is at SMU.

If we lose to SMU, it's all moot.

Winning the tournament is a long shot for sure so I am more focused on the NIT right now.
                  If we could win out and at least one in the tournament were in. I think we are probably out at 17-15 but
                  in at 18-15 if we can go 16-14 and then go 2-1 in the tournament. I could be off base but am sure I will
                  be informed soon if it's a stretch. If we do make the NIT a 20 win season is still very possible.

Comment

I think if we win out, we take 2 games in Memphis. The 6 seed would give us a coup,e winnable games.

Comment

• Dan
                      Dan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’m banking on USF losing at UConn

• WstateU
                      WstateU commented
                      Editing a comment
                      But can we win at SMU?

• Dan
                      Dan commented
                      Editing a comment