Student Section Needed This Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Section Needed This Season

In order for the entire Roundhouse to stay involved in EVERY game, the ENTIRE game we will need the Student Section to start new chants, cheers, and jeers.

Get ORGANIZED NOW! Come up with chants for TIMEOUTS, HALF-TIME, WHEN WE ARE ABOUT TO WIN, and WHEN WE WIN.

Go on YouTube and type in a search for "College Basketball Chants" and you will find numerous examples. http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ll+chants&aq=f

For as LOUD as it gets in Koch Arena...it can get louder and needs to sustain chaos.

We just won an NIT Championship!!! Let's go to the Big Dance!!! We need you, students!

Go Shockers!!!
    Begin with the end in mind.

Re: Student Section Needed This Season

Originally posted by shocker_recruiter
    In order for the entire Roundhouse to stay involved in EVERY game, the ENTIRE game we will need the Student Section to start new chants, cheers, and jeers.

Get ORGANIZED NOW! Come up with chants for TIMEOUTS, HALF-TIME, WHEN WE ARE ABOUT TO WIN, and WHEN WE WIN.

Go on YouTube and type in a search for "College Basketball Chants" and you will find numerous examples. http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ll+chants&aq=f

For as LOUD as it gets in Koch Arena...it can get louder and needs to sustain chaos.

We just won an NIT Championship!!! Let's go to the Big Dance!!! We need you, students!

Go Shockers!!!
    I like the idea of some of the song chants I've been hearing in places. Including last night during the DET-CHI game when they broke out in "Seven Nation Army". A short repeating easy to remember part of the rythym.

I also think that we can maybe find some way to work with the band. If i remember correctly we have some former/current members that may be able to work out some ideas with also.

How about some Silkk the Shocker? Any fans know of pieces we could use?

Comment

Re: Student Section Needed This Season

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
      Originally posted by shocker_recruiter

Go Shockers!!!
      I like the idea of some of the song chants I've been hearing in places. Including last night during the DET-CHI game when they broke out in "Seven Nation Army". A short repeating easy to remember part of the rythym.

I also think that we can maybe find some way to work with the band. If i remember correctly we have some former/current members that may be able to work out some ideas with also.

How about some Silkk the Shocker? Any fans know of pieces we could use?
      Ugh No Silkk please. He's a shocker in name only.

Comment

Great post, S-R!
        Over the years there has been bits and pieces of Greatness from the student section. Just last year I think the student section did some bits late in the year that really helped. Lets get creative and make our house even more of a home court advantage. The crowds this year should and will be rockin. We Are........WSU!!!!!!

Comment

Gotta give the UNI students/fans credit. I like their interlude dance.

Their fans were doing this at the women's NCAA tournament at IBA last March and were having a great time with it.

Comment

We need to get the ENTIRE arena involve too. One giant student section.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

It starts with a group of committed students - get the ShockerManiacs, or whoever it is that shows up to the games, and rehearse with the band or music played over the P.A. system. I know that it sounds like work, but it won't happen simply by wanting it to happen.

Comment

Doesn't a healthy chunk of the student section show up when the doors open 1.5 hrs before the game? Seems like a good time for them to organize, toss around ideas etc...

Get after it students!

Comment

Originally posted by shock
                  We need to get the ENTIRE arena involve too. One giant student section.
                  And do stuff that is funny or clever, but not offensive. "You still suck!" isn't going to fly with 2/3 of the arena.

The "We're Not Gonna Take It" sing-along during the home NIT games was perfect. It seemed impromptu and became the battle cry for last season's wild finish.

Things like a group "Tor-RAY" with heavy emphasis on the "RAY" when Toure' hits a jumper will get everyone's juices flowing. We can all drown out Don Hall's "Toure' Murry for a Joe Bob's Furniture and Appliance Center Shocker Threeee."

Talk to the band people about some new material that will encourage more fan participation. Learn the words and sing LOUD to the Fight Song and Hail Wichita (Boy, I wish those weren't so dated).

I've got confidence in you. Big points awarded for originality.

--'85.
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

That 3 point basket was by Steve Kerr.

STEVE KERR!

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                      We can all drown out Don Hall's "Toure' Murry for a Joe Bob's Furniture and Appliance Center Shocker Threeee."
                      Don't EVEN get me started on that abomination. That is a downright embarrassment. One can hope they don't sell themselves out for the $4 they're making per pop, but with the way things have been going lately... DOUBTFUL. :-x :-x :-x :-x :roll: :roll:
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                        Originally posted by Shocker85
                        We can all drown out Don Hall's "Toure' Murry for a Joe Bob's Furniture and Appliance Center Shocker Threeee."
                        Don't EVEN get me started on that abomination. That is a downright embarrassment. One can hope they don't sell themselves out for the $4 they're making per pop, but with the way things have been going lately... DOUBTFUL. :-x :-x :-x :-x :roll: :roll:
                        Whoever that sponsor was last year should be sent a message that the ad was so intrusive we will be sure to avoid their establishment.

Comment

Stay on target (Star Wars reference).

Let's not get off on a bunny trail pertaining to donors.

I like both the ideas of the Shocker Maniacs coming up with something and those who get there early tossing around ideas. Those are probably the same people.

My point is this STUDENTS: You have over 3 weeks to get together and plan. Let's go GREEK LIFE! Make it a competition. Come up with cheers, chants and jeers. Have some judges and make this a Shocker Spirit Trophy or something (I'm sure you have something like that already in your trophy cases).

Seven Nation Army is great! It already has the lyric, "I'm going to WICHITA!"

Keep the juices flowing. This is good!
                          Begin with the end in mind.

Comment

Get Winks grandson to coordinate the dance moves.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

1. WSU needs a home identity. Stop calling it Koch Arena. Whatever our home on campus is, it should ALWAYS be "The Roundhouse!"
                              2. Midnight Madness. Is WSU having one this week?
                              3. Student Section - Make it more like Cameron and put the student section the first four to six rows around the sidelines. We don't have Jack Nicholson and Spike Lee coming to our games, but we give up those seats to the high-dollar donors who sit on their asses and don't get into the feel of the arena.
                              4. Any kind of cheer or fight song should be neither a. derivative i.e. "I'm Going to Wichita," or b. contrived. Collegiate athletic traditions are not developed, created and packaged. They simply start and continue. See Rock Chalk Chant as a prime example. SAC should not be "tasked" with coming up with traditions.
                              5. Who are our rivals? How would any of the students know that? Talk smack. Lots of smack. Get rid of the "ivory tower" feel the administration continually wants us to be.
                              6. Homemade costumes. Forget the little ShockerTop cardboard things. We need signs, wigs, big sunglasses, and rubber chickens people!
                              7. Joe-College.com - Wichita-style!
                              8. Tailgate. Seriously, there is TONS of room in the parking lot by the Roundhouse. Why can't we tailgate before the games? Nobody else is tailgating at our games.

Comment

Working...
                              X