Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NET Case Study

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NET Case Study

    Now that we have a bit of data into the NET rankings, I wanted to toss a few "blind resumes" out here for Discussion. Of the two resumes below ... which would you think would have the better NET ranking.

    Team A:
    SOS 26
    Q1: 0-7
    Q2: 3-3
    Q3: 4-1
    Q4: 5-0
    Margin Of Victory: 10.5
    Margin Of Defeat: 12.5
    Away: 1-6
    Neutral:2-2
    Home: 9-3

    Team B:
    SOS: 127
    Q1: 0-4
    Q2: 1-5
    Q3: 2-2
    Q4: 9-0
    MOV: 14
    MOD: 9
    Away: 2-4
    Neutral: 1-1
    Home: 9-6

    Last edited by Stickboy46; 5 days ago.

  • #2
    I'll take Team A

    Comment


    • #3
      Clearly a trick question. Unless team A has like 20 home games and team B has 4, I don't see how team B wins.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Clearly a trick question. Unless team A has like 20 home games and team B has 4, I don't see how team B wins.
        Another good data point. I added those to post 1

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't think resumes decide NET ranking. You can ask which resume is better and add in NET, but quadrant wins are not taken into account.

          Comment


          • Stickboy46
            Stickboy46 commented
            Editing a comment
            I know. Just having some conversation here since NET is a black box

          • FadedCrown
            FadedCrown commented
            Editing a comment
            Stickboy46 Can I say the resumes or are you going to do that

        • #6
          Team A Q1 and Q2 wins: (H vs 34). (H vs. 46), (N vs 74)
          Team B Q1 and Q2 wins: (A vs 78)

          Team A also has a Home win against B.

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
            Team A Q1 and Q2 wins: (H vs 34). (H vs. 46), (N vs 74)
            Team B Q1 and Q2 wins: (A vs 78)

            Team A also has a Home win against B.
            You figured it out.

            So for the answer.

            Team A is WSU ... NET 116
            Team B is SMU ... NET 107

            Other key factors ...
            WSU 126 KenPom
            SMU 110 KenPom

            So what it appears, is that NET REALLY values how you beat a team, and doesn't care as much about who that team is that you beat.

            Both teams have the same record, but one has done more of it away from home against way better competition. That team is lower in the NET rankings.

            Comment


            • #8
              Another fun one. Penn State is sitting at NET 73 .... with an 8-15 record ...

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

                ...So what it appears, is that NET REALLY values how you beat a team, and doesn't care as much about who that team is that you beat...
                If that's the way it works, NET would appear to favor beating the crap out of weak teams on your home court. Imagine that! I wonder what group of coaches asked the NCAA for that. Well, not really.

                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  If that's the way it works, NET would appear to favor beating the crap out of weak teams on your home court. Imagine that! I wonder what group of coaches asked the NCAA for that. Well, not really.
                  Would have been great the last 3-4 years in the Valley ...

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    The NCAA really screwed up the NET. Under this formula, being in the MVC would actually be better for us as far as obtaining a good NET ranking.

                    We already know the NCAA is going to ignore the NET ranking and only look at Q1 and Q2...but how do we decide who is Q1 and Q2....the NET. The NCAA is absolutely worthless.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                      Another fun one. Penn State is sitting at NET 73 .... with an 8-15 record ...
                      Same game. Different name. It will never change.

                      Penn St. plays in the b10 (which does seem to be pretty good this year).

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        The Big XII (-II) has its ten teams at 12, 16, 28, 32, 33, 34, 42, 77, and 112. In the American, we run 7, 24, 46, 55, 67, 68, 79, 81, 107, 116, and then 270 and 292. I do love how our 116 is better than the best of the good ol' Valley, Loyola at 118. Me thinks the metrics of the NET would need some work to make it more fair, but being the NCAA I doubt that is really the goal. Seems primed for beating up on cupcakes in your non-conference season and then you can take quite a few licks in your conference season (if you are a strong conference).
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

                          Same game. Different name. It will never change.

                          Penn St. plays in the b10 (which does seem to be pretty good this year).
                          Ok? Penn State is 62nd in KenPom, which was adored around here back in our Valley days.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

                            Ok? Penn State is 62nd in KenPom, which was adored around here back in our Valley days.
                            I noticed that too after i posted. 4 SOS ... Just really odd to see a team with a .363 winning percentage that high.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X