ESPN's non-conference analysis of The MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN's non-conference analysis of The MVC

All week, ESPN.com has been breaking down the nonconference schedules of each and every team in a dozen different leagues. On Tuesday, we began with the ACC, SEC and C-USA.

Thoughts?
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

i think the toughness is related to how strong of a program the school is. some of that is pretty skewed
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Need to take advantage of whatever opportunities you have and win some of those games and then win all of the games you are supposed to win.

Comment

Just in case you missed this link at the bottom of the article with the comments. Good stuff!

:good: :good:

Wichita State University Men's Basketball 2011-2012 Non-conference Preview
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by shock
          i think the toughness is related to how strong of a program the school is. some of that is pretty skewed
          That would make sense. Another thing is they obviously gave a huge boost for having BCS opponents on your schedule. Creighton got a 3 and they might have the best schedule in the Valley. Indiana State gets a 7 and theirs is one of the worst.

Comment

I'm just speculating here, but perhaps a major factor in their strength rating is how the schedule will look come tournament selection time. Average RPI really doesn't say much. But if you get non-conference wins over NCAA tournament teams, which are going to be mostly BCS league members then your schedule is more likely to be strong enough that an NCAA bid is warranted. Creighton has some solid opponents but I don't see any I would say are likely NCAA teams since SDSU has a lot of question marks.

Bradley, on the other hand has two top-25 (or close) teams in Wisconsin and Michigan. Evansville has Butler, UNC and what may be an improved Indiana. Missouri St. gets WVU, OklaSt and NewMex.

If we had Alabama in the first round of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, we'd probably get at least a 7 rating.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
              I'm just speculating here, but perhaps a major factor in their strength rating is how the schedule will look come tournament selection time. Average RPI really doesn't say much. But if you get non-conference wins over NCAA tournament teams, which are going to be mostly BCS league members then your schedule is more likely to be strong enough that an NCAA bid is warranted. Creighton has some solid opponents but I don't see any I would say are likely NCAA teams since SDSU has a lot of question marks.

Bradley, on the other hand has two top-25 (or close) teams in Wisconsin and Michigan. Evansville has Butler, UNC and what may be an improved Indiana. Missouri St. gets WVU, OklaSt and NewMex.

If we had Alabama in the first round of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, we'd probably get at least a 7 rating.
              I think you have a point. You can probably look at the "toughest" section and get the ranking. I still don't understand Indiana State's ranking though.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock
                Originally posted by RoyalShock

I think you have a point. You can probably look at the "toughest" section and get the ranking. I still don't understand Indiana State's ranking though.
                Too much weight given to the Vandy game.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock
                  Originally posted by shock
                  That would make sense. Another thing is they obviously gave a huge boost for having BCS opponents on your schedule. Creighton got a 3 and they might have the best schedule in the Valley. Indiana State gets a 7 and theirs is one of the worst.
                  That's the ONLY thing that makes sense, especially when it comes to ISUc.

No human on the planet could say their non-conference schedule is more difficult than WSU's.

Just look at the "next toughest category": One team's is Ball State at home and @ bracketbusters. The others is UAB, @ Tulsa and @ bracketbusters.

Man, I am past ready to see this program properly dispose of the waste matter that hangs around us.

Comment

Working...
                  X