WSU-ECU pregame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quotes like :

"East Carolina beat Cincinnati at home, so the Pirates are certainly capable" and "Season defining game" really worry me. I'd like to see the SHocks come out and compete at a high level - not necessarily perform at a high level, but compete, share the ball, hit some shots and try to enjoy the process of getting better collectively and enjoy the game itself.

Those quotes worry me that "player A" will take it upon himself to rise to the occasion and try to hit every shot he takes even though the shot might not necessarily be a good shot or at the appropriate time in the shot clock. If all else fails, we bring Tate Busse in at the end of the game, off redshirt, and he hits a game winner off a picket fence play moving Wichita State solidly into the middle of the pack in the AAC.:poster_shocks:

Comment

Hopefully the sorry AAC refs don't penalize our bigs for being ..........BIG.

All of our big men have gotten some very bad whistles in conference play.

Shaq had the same problem last year. It's like being big biases the refs into thinking you are overly physical.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        GoShockers.com Game Notes

MATCHUP MASHUP:

***WSU and ECU have been the conference's worst shooting teams. The Shockers are shooting a league-low.413 from the field and rank 11th in three-point accuracy (.309). ECU is shooting .420 from the field (11th) and .261 from deep (12th).

***WSU has faced Joe Dooley one other time. Dooley's FGCU team pushed the Shockers at Charles Koch Arena, leading by seven points with 13:00 to go. WSU recovered to win 75-65.

***Markis McDuffie, Asbjørn Midtgaard and Samajae Haynes-Jones are the only returning Shockers from last year's WSU-ECU meeting. They combined for 38 of the 200 minutes (19.0%).

***As a freshman at Hawaii, Isaac Fleming took a nationally-ranked Shocker team to the wire in the Diamond Head Classic. WSU survived in overtime on a last-second putback. Fleming scored 17 points off the bench and grabbed five rebounds before fouling out. He was 7-of-9 from the field and hit three triples.

***Expect a large cheering section for Jamarius Burton. The WSU freshman's hometown, Charlotte, is roughly 250 miles to the west.

***ECU was one of four new American teams that WSU faced for the first time last year (along with USF, UCF and Tulane). The Pirates make their first-ever visit to Wichita in early March. It'll be senior night for McDuffie and Samajae Haynes-Jones.

***Former Shocker Gabe Blair -- a starter on the 2011 NIT Championship team -- played his first two collegiate seasons at ECU before transferring to Wichita.

***Gregg Marshall is 4-0 against ECU and 3-0 at Minges Coliseum (he swept a three-game series during his time at Winthrop).

***Wednesday's game is the last of six regular season trips to the east coast. In addition to ECU, UConn and USF, the Shockers also played non-conference contests in Annapolis, Md., Charleston, S.C. and Richmond, Va.

SCOUTING ECU:

***The Pirates have a new captain. Last spring ECU re-hired Joe Dooley (who had previously led the program from 1995-99) as its head coach. Dooley was a 10-year assistant at Kansas under Bill Self (2003-13) before guiding FGCU to five-straight 20-win seasons ('13-18).

***Super freshman Jayden Gardner ranks fifth nationally in fouls drawn, per KenPom (7.8 per 40-minutes). He's the team's leading scorer (18.3) and rebounder (9.2). The latter ranks second on the conference chart.

***Gardner owns the only 20-20 game in The American this year. He had 35 points and 20 boards in Jan. 13 trip to UCF.

***Shawn Williams averages a team-high 34.2 minutes. He's 24-of-25 this year at the foul line (.960).

***Williams (36) and K.J. Davis (34) have hit 70 of ECU's 98 threes. No other Pirate has made more than 10.

***Isaac Fleming averages a team-best 3.6 assists.
        good post!

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Just copied some info from GoShockers.com

I kinda like the Matchup Mashup section of this year's game notes.

This is about Jamarius Burton

Comment

This winter has been a *****.
          This basketball season has been a *****.
          The weather people can't figure out the weather.
          I can't figure out this team.
          I hope the sun shines on the Shockers and there is no court storming in Carolina.
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

"Season defining game" ...can't lose to a low to mid level MVC caliber team, even if it is on the road. Any road win will be a step forward, however. Need to maintain the recent team positivity going forward.

Comment

Very glad we made the move to the American. Now I can see our team from the West Coast. ESPN2. GOSHOCKS!

Comment

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought tonight's game was being shown on ESPNews? I hope I'm wrong... maybe they moved it to the deuce? I believe Saturday's game will be shown on ESPNU.

Oops, post #3 in the tread.

Barry D. Treasure = 68
              Shocker Gold = 78

Go Shockers!!!

:yahoo::pirate:

Comment

Was anyone else bothered when they started to talk AD and the Pelicans possible trade during our game? They completely stopped calling the game and started on the NBA. Totally disrespectful.

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bill Walton would have been proud.
              Working...
              X