Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leadership and Chemistry - What Happened (Opinion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AM is a positive, supportive team member...with him the intangibles are a big positive. But it is hard to buck natural selection...more often than not back court guys have to be the leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

So when do you expect MM to be a leader? Next year?
      Why don't you read the Eagle article from today. Marshall was quoted as pointing to McDuffie as a leader and specifically, how his leadership directed this Shocker team to this win. YOU don't know, I don't know, and NOBODY ELSE really knows what is going on everyday in practice and in games. Even the players tell people different things everyday depending on their moods, how they feel about the team, personal things that affect how they feel, etc. We all operate on feelings that change from day to day and for US to think that we know what is actually happening in those locker rooms from day to day is preposterous. I have seen the Freshmen deferring to McDuffie and even SHJ from time to time such as the lob to McDuffie from Stevenson yesterday that resulted in a dunk. That was a 2 on 1 fastbreak and Eric could have taken the layup or shot, but he wanted to win and just maybe he didn't mind Duff having the 2 points. This could be chemistry, couldn't it? I still think that leadership usually and most effectively comes from the PG and other guard positions.

Comment

• choida
        choida commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok McDuffie is the leader... But our record says that he isn't as effective of a leader as past ones. Yes, winning and losing isn't just on him... But the leader takes the credit and heat for wins and losses

• pie n eye
        pie n eye commented
        Editing a comment
        Our record says that we’ve been working in eight new guys, including five freshmen, to a team returning one guy (McDuffie) who had played multiple seasons of D1 ball.

Maybe he is, maybe he isn’t, but you can’t just point to something like W-L record and say, “here’s proof that this guy is a better/worse leader than those guys.”

I felt the "chemistry" on that play came from Stevenson, I did not notice McDuffie even acknowledge the great assist. Chemistry is between players and I have not see it often from the seniors. I actually did see SHJ help a freshman up off the floor yesterday so maybe the chemistry is starting to flow and this will greatly help this team.

Comment

• proshox
        proshox commented
        Editing a comment
        Jesus. He hyped up Eric all over McDuffie. The kid is pushing his teammmates to improve. He has taking on the persona of his coach which doesn’t seem to bother anybody when it comes to 3G.

There is plenty to be frustrated about, but McDuffie is the least of our worries.

Hard to think anyone but Teddy will be leading these guys next year. He seems to be just that kind of dude.

That is all.
      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Teddy will be the leader. JB Is growing up fast as well.

Comment

• choida
          choida commented
          Editing a comment
          Teddy with a long shot of Eitienne... Just my guess

• Jhook89
          Jhook89 commented
          Editing a comment
          Eitienne will be a true freshmen next year. I think everyone needs to pump the breaks a little. He will benefit from not being asked to do as much as the freshmen this year are being asked to do, but true freshmen almost never come in to 3Gs system and are a go to guy. Fred barely played as a freshmen and didn’t become reliable till late in to the year.

Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
        I felt the "chemistry" on that play came from Stevenson, I did not notice McDuffie even acknowledge the great assist. Chemistry is between players and I have not see it often from the seniors. I actually did see SHJ help a freshman up off the floor yesterday so maybe the chemistry is starting to flow and this will greatly help this team.
        You ignored the main point of my post. I have heard rumors and statements attributed to players who may have said some of them. However, during a losing year, those things are magnified, and the players may be feeling down when they say them. We don't really know what goes on in the locker room. None of us are there. I really don't know about the leadership from what I see and hear, and you don't either.

My MAIN point was that Marshall knows from what he sees everyday, and he pointed out that during the Under 12 minute time out, McDuffie took over the time out and took it upon himself to say that "the team was not going to lose the game" and attributed the next 10 minute increase in player attitude and grit to McDuffie. Please give players props (even if you don't like them) for the good things they do. McDuffie isn't perfect and makes plenty of mistakes. But without him, this year would be even more of a "hot mess" than it is now. We probably wouldn't have won more than 5 games.

Comment

How many really bad games has McDuffie had this year out of 21? Two or three? Yet everything is magnified with this team with all eyes on him. Go back and look at our recent teams from 2012 on and you will see several of our big stars lay multiple clunkers throughout the year but they were almost always picked up by others.
          By and large, he is playing way better than I expected from him so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Why don't you read the Eagle article from today. Marshall was quoted as pointing to McDuffie as a leader and specifically, how his leadership directed this Shocker team to this win. YOU don't know, I don't know, and NOBODY ELSE really knows what is going on everyday in practice and in games. Even the players tell people different things everyday depending on their moods, how they feel about the team, personal things that affect how they feel, etc. We all operate on feelings that change from day to day and for US to think that we know what is actually happening in those locker rooms from day to day is preposterous. I have seen the Freshmen deferring to McDuffie and even SHJ from time to time such as the lob to McDuffie from Stevenson yesterday that resulted in a dunk. That was a 2 on 1 fastbreak and Eric could have taken the layup or shot, but he wanted to win and just maybe he didn't mind Duff having the 2 points. This could be chemistry, couldn't it? I still think that leadership usually and most effectively comes from the PG and other guard positions.
            Of course he's gonna say that. He's been saying that all year. He's loyal to a fault to his seniors.

So wait, your counterpoint to my MM leadership question is that ES passed off the alley-oop to MM? That shows me that ES may have better leadership and mature qualities than MM as he recognized his teammate had a better option for a bigger play. I'm not sure I've seen MM or SHJ ever pass it on a fastbreak.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• proshox
              proshox commented
              Editing a comment
              Your using hypothetical plays to critique McDuffie and SHJ.

Yesterday McDuffie lead us to a win against a rival. SHJ made the shot that got the team going and then kept using his quickness to force Tulsa’s defense to become unbalanced. Let’s focus on what they actually did vs. what they would do in your made up plays.

When Erik, JB, Dexter, Jamie and God Bear become reliable - the seniors will look invincible. The last two games make me cautiously optimistic that the minutes played will soon exceed the lack of time in college.

• Shockm
              Shockm commented
              Editing a comment
              Well at least this under 12 minute timeout actually happened with witnesses watching compared to your made up scenarios of fiction.
          Working...
          X