Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leadership and Chemistry - What Happened (Opinion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leadership and Chemistry - What Happened (Opinion)

I think I've found the source of what looks like some chemistry issues on the team. It's really pretty simple.

Players with more than one year in the program:
    Markis Duffie

Players with 1 year in the program:
    Samajae Haynes-Jones
    Asbjorn Midtgaard
    Rod Brown (should get an asterisk because it was a RS year)

1) I can see where McDuffie may be "less than happy" with that situation.
    2) These players haven't had time to develop relationships and chemistry.

It takes a core of returning players to maintain anything resembling good team cohesion and chemistry. Until we can return 8 or 9 players and only have to work a few first-year guys into the roster, we should expect issues with chemistry and leadership. I don't know if we can expect any of the So's next year to emerge as leaders. There are just too many of them and it's hard to emerge as a leader among people who view you as their peer.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    I think I've found the source of what looks like some chemistry issues on the team. It's really pretty simple.

Players with more than one year in the program:
    Markis Duffie

Players with 1 year in the program:
    Samajae Haynes-Jones
    Asbjorn Midtgaard
    Rod Brown (should get an asterisk because it was a RS year)

1) I can see where McDuffie may be "less than happy" with that situation.
    2) These players haven't had time to develop relationships and chemistry.

It takes a core of returning players to maintain anything resembling good team cohesion and chemistry. Until we can return 8 or 9 players and only have to work a few first-year guys into the roster, we should expect issues with chemistry and leadership. I don't know if we can expect any of the So's next year to emerge as leaders. There are just too many of them and it's hard to emerge as a leader among people who view you as their peer.

McDuffie was all in on returning... Otherwise he could reave the program like the hundreds of others in the past. Secondly, we have a bunch of new faces.. obviously it's going to be hit or miss on chemistry. Being friends and homies is one thing, to be able to gel on the court is another. Next year is huge for this program... godspeed

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
      Otherwise he could reave the program like the hundreds of others in the past.
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Damn. All I wanted to do was post the “You serious, Clark?” meme. Fail.
        Last edited by pie n eye; February 2, 2019, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Haven’t many other posters on shockernet dot net already said this multiple times going back to the beginning of the season?

Comment

• Aargh
            Aargh commented
            Editing a comment
            If that is how you look at it, then your best option is to not post on the thread and let it slowly fade off of the front page into oblivion.

• pie n eye
            pie n eye commented
            Editing a comment
            Heck no. I agree with you!

I remember Marshall saying several years ago (maybe more than several years ago) when asked a question about our Chemistry on his great call in show, "He didn't think that Chemistry preceded winning, but rather winning took care of creating Chemistry". The question being, if we were "winning more and less pressure on McDuffie (who I don't think is a natural leader), would our Chemistry be better? By the way, I don't think that SHJ is a natural leader either and with his anxiety issues, and inexperience, he may not be capable of being one. But to his credit, he always plays hard.

As for your Sophomore leadership (as to we won't have a Soph leader next year) comment, Fred wasn't our leader his Freshman year, but he was his Sophomore year. He had a plus too. Baker was a natural leader, by example. He always played hard. And Cotton was a leader too. The rest of the team went along with it. One player cannot be "the leader" by himself. He needs help.

Comment

Leaders cannot be designated as we tried to do this year. Leaders emerge and not from the end of the bench. I couldn't begin to tell you who that might be next year but a leader or leaders will come forth. Hopefully he or they will be a good one.
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

I believe that both leadership and chemistry come with time. Leadership needs to be earned and demonstrated. Chemistry comes with respect of one another and understanding of teamwork.

Leadership can come in different forms. Respected verbal leader, respected floor leader. It can come from a starter, it can come from a walk-on at the end of the bench (think Ledford, Rogers, Simon, Bush).

Comment

New players come every year with every program. Leaders lead no matter what. Period.

MM is not a leader.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I will repeat Fred was not a leader his Freshman year. Armstead was. Leaders do change from year to year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                    I will repeat Fred was not a leader his Freshman year. Armstead was. Leaders do change from year to year.
                    So when do you expect MM to be a leader? Next year?
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Burton Eitienne/Fernandez or possibly Stevenson

Comment

• Dan
                        Dan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Next year it will be Burton and Stevenson, IMO

Midtgaard could actually have a leadership role next year. He will be the long-term member of the team and he seems to have the kind of attitude that attracts followers.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• choida
                        choida commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Disagree... Hope I'm wrong of course.

• Kung Wu
                        Kung Wu commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yup, my bet is on AM being a leader -- and a positive one too.

Midtgaard could actually have a leadership role next year. He will be the long-term member of the team and he seems to have the kind of attitude that attracts followers.
                      Midtgaard looks more like a role model than a leader to me. You need both, so not a slight on him. Jaime looks to be more of a leader right now IMO.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Big men aren't good candidates to be leaders. Mit is too positive. A leader needs to put a sneaker up peoples butt when needed. Mit's foot is to bbig.

Comment

Working...
                        X