No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs SMU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once upon a time a severely depleted SIU team, like 6 or 7 guys plus Barry, came to Koch arena on a cold, possibly snowy January/February day and beat the Shockers. Anyone remember what year that was?

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
      Once upon a time a severely depleted SIU team, like 6 or 7 guys plus Barry, came to Koch arena on a cold, possibly snowy January/February day and beat the Shockers. Anyone remember what year that was?
      Yes 2011. I was thoroughly pissed we didn’t press them the entire game. Odd game plan to put it nicely.

Comment

Once upon a time a severely depleted SIU team, like 6 or 7 guys plus Barry, came to Koch arena on a cold, possibly snowy January/February day and beat the Shockers. Anyone remember what year that was?
        February 8, 2011. Carlton Fay had 21 points. SIU 56 / WSU 53. Cold, snowy and ice on the roads.

They played 9 including, I think, Barry's wife who really knew how to pump fake.
        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• pie n eye
          pie n eye commented
          Editing a comment
          Lmao. Thanks!

• Shocker Mama
          Shocker Mama commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha!

• Barry. One of the few things I miss. Oh well.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Yes 2011. I was thoroughly pissed we didn’t press them the entire game. Odd game plan to put it nicely.
          We had a nice squad that year, too. Plus Jans and Gross. NIT championship was a lot of fun and a first taste of the good things to come.

Comment

• -Jamarius Burton is officially in my circle of trust.
            -Stevenson hit rock bottom (hopefully) for a while there. He scored the points last night but his arrow has been pointing up the last couple of games - taking care of the ball and (I think?) improved defense. It would be a big boost if he can find some consistency and be another semi-reliable shooter and ball handler.
            -Next up is the rebuild of Dexter Dennis. He’s got too much potential that’s going unused. Right now he’s got a ways to go to get into David Kyles territory, never mind Tekele Cotton.
            -Would also be nice to get Ricky going, he showed signs of life Wednesday in limited minutes.
            -Big Mit was our starting center at the beginning of the year, right? So, either coaches liked what they saw over the summer or Jaime just wasn’t ready to go yet. I think he’s played well over the last six game stretch and was better than I expected at guarding the quicker post men of SMU.
            -Echinique is indeed a shot blocking fool, especially for a guy without much vertical. Some of the best post moves I’ve seen in a while but he’s gotta finish.
            -Samaje and McDuffie may not be perfect but they’re out there busting their ass while I’m sitting in a lazy boy drinking beer. I wish they had Shamet and Reaves to help bear the responsibility of leadership but they don’t. It’s been a rough season but I see the same effort from them every game and I think they’ve even had games/moments in games where it looks like they’ve absorbed the coaching and reigned in some of their worse tendencies.
            -Looking forward to Saturday. As others have said, the season isn’t over. There are tough but winnable games coming up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post
              Random Thoughts:

4. I haven’t bothered to check the recruiting forum, but JB wasn’t a point guard at any time in his high school career, was he? Helluva job if my assumption is correct, and even though it’s painful now it will be really nice to have him at the 2 against a full court press in future years.
              Originally posted by Shockm View Post

#4 I think that JB was a point guard during high school. However, an injured knee and surgery took away much of his Junior or Senior year or a portion of both and lowered his recruiting profile.
              Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

JB was a high school combo guard who suffered a torn ACL which significantly compromised his recruitment
              From what I've read, JB's injury was during his junior year and missed no time his senior year. Nevertheless, the injury itself did have an impact on his recruiting.

He may have also been considered a combo guard, but he did play the point for his high school team in N.C. that played in the largest classification, went all the way to the state championship in which JB was named the MVP of the tournament.

Comment

• It’s a rap...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• JVShocker
                  JVShocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like the music in that video much better.But if you've ever watched older WSU highlights on Youtube, it's disgraceful that none are incorporated into the intro videos. Shocker basketball should be branded as such, and fans and visitors should be reminded every game - THIS IS SHOCKER PRIDE, THIS IS SHOCKER NATION!

• shocks02
                  shocks02 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  JV, It's just highlights, not used as an intro video...

Yes they beat the shocks. But I believe SIU coach was Chris Lowery. Barry team beat the shocks in Carbondale on that bogus goaltending call against Oruphe. That's my memory but I could be wrong.

Comment

• Just in case this hasn't been posted, good stuff as usual from Taylor Eldridge:

WSU v SMU, games within the game

Comment

• As far as MVC history goes: I have nothing against Barry Hinson. When he was coach at Missouri State we actually ran into him and his parents on more than one occasion at the MVC Tourney in St. Louis at the team hotel. They were articulate and very nice people to speak with. And I still remember talking with UNI Coach Jacobsen at breakfast the morning of the games. I remember those wonderful shirts all the UNI players wore "MAKE EVERY FREE THROW".

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
                    And I still remember talking with UNI Coach Jacobsen at breakfast the morning of the games. I remember those wonderful shirts all the UNI players wore "MAKE EVERY FREE THROW".
                    I have no qualms with Coach Ben Jacobson. His 2010 squad produced my favorite non-WSU college basketball win. (That might be a topic for offseason talk...favorite sporting events that didn't involve your favorite team.)

Ben Jacobson, the player, can make like Dan Marino and die of gonorrhea and rot in hell for all I care.
                    78-65

Comment

• WuDrWu
                      WuDrWu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Early nominee for post of the year.

• Didn’t Rashard have a late game winning tip in against Alabama his Fr or So year?

Comment

• ShockerDropOut
                      ShockerDropOut commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, his freshman year. I remember because it was the game my wife and I got to go to that year.

• I thought that was against Hawaii in the tournament.

Comment

• I guess KEYN did not keep a copy of the radio broadcast. Its still not up.

Find your favorite 103.7 FM KEYN podcast and listen on any device for free on the Audacy app. Browse our huge collection of podcasts or let us find you one.

Comment

Working...
                      X