No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs SMU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something seems strange about this team, they just don't seem to have that relationship with each other that most of our other teams have shown. I have noticed this all year and does not seem to be getting any better. I do not feel the seniors have helped in this area.

Comment

• Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
      Something seems strange about this team, they just don't seem to have that relationship with each other that most of our other teams have shown. I have noticed this all year and does not seem to be getting any better. I do not feel the seniors have helped in this area.
      I agree. I've seen players hustle, dive on the floor, land hard, and nobody even bothers to help them up...sometimes they even step over them and keep walking. lol

But, I gotta think it's due to the frustration of losing. Losing is tough and it is hard to keep a good attitude when you are not having success.

Comment

• I noticed something in the 2nd half when DD was subbing in for MM. Granted, I was in row 31 opposite the team bench, but DD veered toward MM to give him a low 5 and MM didn't even appear to acknowledge him. I can't recall if MM had just had something not go his way or not, but if what I saw was accurate, you just can't leave your teammate hanging like that, whether a senior or freshman.

Then late in the game one of our guys got hammered going to the basket, went hard to the floor out of bounds. The ref's whistle blew. The ball floated toward MM in the near corner. Instead of leaving the ball alone and going to help up his teammate, Markis grabbed the ball and shot it.

HCGM talks about how good a guy Markis is and how his teammates all like him. But I see some things on the court that indicate he may not be the greatest teammate on the game floor. It's perplexing.

I really hope I'm just misreading this stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          I noticed something in the 2nd half when DD was subbing in for MM. Granted, I was in row 31 opposite the team bench, but DD veered toward MM to give him a low 5 and MM didn't even appear to acknowledge him. I can't recall if MM had just had something not go his way or not, but if what I saw was accurate, you just can't leave your teammate hanging like that, whether a senior or freshman.

Then late in the game one of our guys got hammered going to the basket, went hard to the floor out of bounds. The ref's whistle blew. The ball floated toward MM in the near corner. Instead of leaving the ball alone and going to help up his teammate, Markis grabbed the ball and shot it.

HCGM talks about how good a guy Markis is and how his teammates all like him. But I see some things on the court that indicate he may not be the greatest teammate on the game floor. It's perplexing.

I noticed that too about the after the whistle shot. Markis was about 3 feet from JE i think, and instead of helping the big man up who was face first on the floor, he grabs the ball and tosses an after whistle fadeaway at the basket then walks away. I think Burton ran from across the court to help JE up.

Comment

I noticed something in the 2nd half when DD was subbing in for MM. Granted, I was in row 31 opposite the team bench, but DD veered toward MM to give him a low 5 and MM didn't even appear to acknowledge him. I can't recall if MM had just had something not go his way or not, but if what I saw was accurate, you just can't leave your teammate hanging like that, whether a senior or freshman.

MM was who I was referring to in my above post......a player dove for a ball, landed really hard and he just stepped over him without helping him up.

that was about 10+ games ago though. Guess he is a frequent offender. lol

MM is a good guy, but it is a very poor look
            Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; January 31, 2019, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• Breakdown of the winning shot by Taylor.

Comment

• Our seniors are not leaders. Outside of MM's three point shooting he has been too soft defensively
                too much of the time, either doesn't see the court and open team mates or disregards them,
                ( one assist a game ), turns the ball over and has been a below average rebounder for his size and
                length. SHJ could make several other players better if he would just use HIS speed and quickness
                to facilitate more in stead of just creating space for HIMSELF to get a shot. That is NOT leadership
                or good team play. Bottom line is we lack senior leadership. I think both are more than a little
                selfish and it has hurt over all team chemistry. Thank goodness JB, ES and AM are starting to
                assert themselves more. Thought JE was pretty good last night. Don't know what IC's issues are
                but we could really use some help at power forward. MM shooting well but that's about it and RB
                just looks like he is in over his head.

Comment

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MM is who we thought he was. He hasn't changed, just a little better version of who he always has been. MM is a good complimentary player, that can be effective when he lets the game come to him and does what he needs to in the course of the game. When he tries to be a leader, and thinks he has to be James Harden, that's when he is really bad. It is better for us if MM plays in the shadows of other players, that's when we will see him shine the most.

• proshox
                  proshox commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The best players play better when their teammates shoot better than 18%. There were stretches when Fred didn’t pass to anybody not named Baker... why? Nobody else could shoot.

Ball movement is great, but MM had made many passes to open players who declined to shoot or clanked it off the rim.

• I'm super happy for Samajae. Kid gets a lot of sh*t on this board and probably elsewhere but he's won us a few games this year single-handedly. Works hard on D too even with his physical limitations.

Still not sold long-term on Asbjorn in today's game but I love the way he works and competes. Happy for him to get in double figures tonight.

We are generally slow on defense. It's not even an effort thing; it's a personnel thing.

Markis attempted a few plays where you knew that he knew there were NBA scouts in attendance. But he made a couple of them, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

With this team, I'm learning to be less critical (we can leave that to the coaching staff). Enjoy these wins, folks.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• WuDrWu
                  WuDrWu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He was dynamite on defense last night, busting his ass, fighting through screens, and doing it while hurting a lot for much of the game.

Disconcerting but not misreading at all. MM is not a good teammate and definitely not a leader. He’s more concerned with his points and practicing his fadeway jump shot with the clock not running than anything or anybody else. Just bad, bad chemistry.

i better not see another interview all year talking about MM and leadership or pinning stuff on the underclassmen.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

This a fair post. You saw something that indicates the possibility that MM may not be a good teammate with the caveat that there is a possibility that you may have misinterpreted what you saw. I like our players helping and cheering for each other too. Anyone who says they KNOW FOR SURE would give the information how they know. We can’t read minds but we can mention concerns and opinions that we have fairly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

This a fair post. You saw something that indicates the possibility that MM may not be a good teammate with the caveat that there is a possibility that you may have misinterpreted what you saw. I like our players helping and cheering for each other too. Anyone who says they KNOW FOR SURE would give the information how they know. We can’t read minds.
                    Right. That’s why this is a discussion forum as opposed to the voice of God.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Let's not get too high on this win... Feels good...SMU really played well... fortunately we had the ball last and our most confident player made a circus shot that he gets to go here and there. I feel for Dexter Dennis... He looks the part of a future star... But the numbers just don't show it just yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Right. That’s why this is a discussion forum as opposed to the voice of God.
                          Sometimes we(including me)don’t realize this so we post badly imo. I have lived here all my life. I try to be fair and somewhat loyal to my city and alma mater. My family are practically all Shox and have many friends who are Shox. I take some pride in the fact that Dave the Rave came back here fro NY to live and retire, that Cheese has come back to retire, Marshall stayed even with numerous offers, and even that Art Louvar ( not a star) raised his family here and stayed. I feel some pride that Markis has stayed here for 4 years and want to be fair to him and others. Therefore, I try to be fair to Shockers but will admit errors to.

Comment

• DEXTER JUST NEEDS TO LEARN NOT TO FOUL!!!!!!

After that, sky's the limit!
                            The Assman

Comment

• Dan
                              Dan commented
                              Editing a comment
                              not possible at this point. Doesn't have it between the ears. Maybe he will learn as he matures, remember Shaq?
                          Working...
                          X