Clear All

Connor 3pt Shooting his first year was 31%

Comment

Buncha freshman.
      top TWENTY schedule
      Way WAY Roger Conference
      We've been in game we shouldn't end lost games we could have won
      ​​​​​​
      We can't see the growth, but it's there. Let's hope the "easy" stretch results in some hard fought wins and confidence boosted.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post

Different and tougher competition? Coaching? What do you think?
        Aargh hit the nail on the head. Tall guards rule. When I saw Torres and Stevenson last Summer I was like... *sigh*. Torres was listed at 6'3 for Pete's sake. Torres is 6'1 standing on someone's toes and Stevenson is 6'2, in shoes, after hanging from the monkey bars for an hour. It's a shame too because Stevenson has unbelievable athleticism. Had he been a legit 6'4 he could have had a chance in the Association if all the rest of his game rounded into form. Height killed Frankamp also.

Take Shamet and Reeves down to 6'1 and their careers from beyond the arc mirror the rest of the world of midgets. I'm not saying short people can't do well as outside shooters in the NCAA, but tall guys have a TON more margin for error.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Singeril View Post
          A concern I have is that "attitude" is on its second year of being questionable. Many of us sensed it last year, spoke about it, and had it confirmed by the player comments at the end of the season. This year, we have been hearing that there are issues as well...we have also seen some of the results on the floor. Yes, there is a LOT of youth on this team...but, that "detriment" should be showing change by this point. Unfortunately, we haven't seen progress (quite the opposite) in a few weeks. That had better start coming or next year is going to largely like this year. Yes, we will have Teddy...but, we will be without out top scorer from this year and SHJ as well (and, I know that many of us are not all broke up about that). We don't know who will be leaving...and, I expect it to be at least 2-3...and possibly more. It is going to be an interesting Spring for the Shockers...and, unfortunately, the interesting part isn't going to be on the floor.
          Correctamundo!

And folks looking to Teddy to be the salvation of this program will be sorely disappointed. Teddy's a baller but he ain't Fred VanVleet. He's far more likely to be a distraction than a uniter.

We gotta get the fire back; the focus; the swagger; the poise.

T

...:cool:

Comment

We just need a point guard, we haven’t had a true point guard since fvv
            Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
            We just need a point guard, we haven’t had a true point guard since fvv
            Nvm, link didn't work. Terrible statement though.

Comment

So, at one or time another I’ve read that Teddy Buckets was the most amazing, tough nosed leader we ever seen and he’s the “real deal” yada yada yada. Now it’s, “he’s pretty short and will probably end up being a distraction.”

Same thing with Stevenson. Most athletic, talented, “play angry” player the world has ever seen. If we had ten of him we’d be undefeated. Now he’s too short to even shoot the ball properly.

“We’ve lost our edge.”

Wait, no, “we’re not recruiting enough stars.”

“Oh, hey our edge is back and we’re going 5-0 to start conference.”

“JK, coach is the problem, he can’t coach at this level.”

Like they say, shooters gotta keep shooting. Eventually one will go in.

Comment

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                everyone has different opinions. Why is it surprising that there's not a consensus on our players, coaches, team, etc.

Teddy was billed by Marshall as a guy nobody on this team can guard, can get baskets any which way, etc. Marshall also billed ES as the next Ron Baker, and Dexter as the next Tekele Cotton, so take these things for what they're worth. At the end of the day, each of these guys have to perform under the bright lights. What they do in high school or practice doesn't always carry over.

• pie n eye
                pie n eye commented
                Editing a comment
                My original post was mostly in reference to a single poster. I know opinions will vary from person to person, that doesn’t surprise me.

TA showed the ability to score in the Big 12 and NCAA tourney.

Erik Stevenson looks to me like he’s got a lot of Ron Baker in him. Considering Baker got a red shirt year to learn, grow, etc behind closed doors with zero pressure whereas Stevenson is forced into learning under the bright lights, I’m not ready to write the book on his career.

Same goes for the Dennis/Cotton comparison. Tekele joined a team stacked with Sr - Murray, Kyles, Stutz, Ben Smith and Jr- Hall, Orukpe, Demetric Williams.

Dennis got McDuffie, Samaje, Big Mit, and Rod Brown.

Time will tell but the comparisons still make sense to me.

TA will be a much different PF than MM as he is not one to just drift around the perimeter looking
              for an open three. From watching him he seems to like playing in the paint with his back to the basket
              ala Cheese Johnson and knows how to use his frame to score inside.........much different player than
              MM. I just hope he is NOT a distraction and / or a ball hog - we'll see. MM has put up some good
              numbers this season however he just doesn't seem to have a good feel or understanding of the game.
              He is now getting double teamed a lot but doesn't seem to understand that when he does he has to
              immediately find the man left open so he can quickly pass it to him so the team can then attack with a
              4-3 advantage. Instead of locating and making the right pass he has been more likely to force up a
              bad shot, turn it over, or struggle with the ball waiting for a man to come to him to bail him out of a
              tough situation. The two seniors lead the team in scoring but could also be the principle source of our
              recent poor team chemistry offensively. Going forward I hope to see the freshmen stop taking a
              back seat and start taking command of the team and the seniors to focus on seeing the court and
              finding the others much more than they have been.

Comment

• shocker43
                shocker43 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep! Deferring to two guys will make an offense stagnant. Although the UConn game was ugly, we saw some freshman take the game into their own hands. JB, ES, DD all started driving instead of looking for Samajae/Markis.

If you read the analysis by Eldridge this morning, basically he is saying that defenses are deferring to Duff (which has been stated on here many times) because the rest of the defense can sag off of their defensive responsibilities with a leg inside the lane, away from the ball. The reason they can do this is because our other players can't hit outside shots. Since they sag, it is easier for them to guard drives from most of our players because they are clogging it inside.

Jamarious=A good driver but not a good shooter from 3. Clogging the lane limits him.
              Stephenson=Has shown the ability to shoot from the outside in earlier games (Baylor, etc.) but has not shown confidence lately.
              Ricky=Not a good outside shooter so he tries to drive for medium shots. Clogging lane works to defend him.
              Brown=Not a good shooter from the outside. Sagging into the lane works.
              Dexter Dennis=Not a consistent outside shooter. Driving the lane is his strength and sagging works to block this.
              SHJ=Inconsistent shooter from outside.

Poor Bear has some ability to shoot from the outside but as a 5, we don't want to count on that.

Some of these players will develop consistency and confidence (Stephenson and maybe Dennis come to my mind) but I'm not sure about all of them. This points to the need to recruit players who can shoot the basketball for next year. If a few don't develop confidence this year, I don't look for too much to change. Rebounding needs to be a place we can score some put backs, but it doesn't look good for the remainder of the year.

Comment

• FadedCrown
                FadedCrown commented
                Editing a comment
                "Jamarious" and "Stephenson" are not players on Wichita State.

• pinstripers
                pinstripers commented
                Editing a comment
                Not sure if Poor Bear is either

The reality is, players other than McDuffie are going to have to shoot defenses out of their strategy. Burton, Dennis and Torres can't pass up open shots. I would add Stevenson to that list, but he generally shoots when he's open.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree, Royal -- and one more: as I've said before, if Samajae is going to launch anyway, he might as well do it when he first catches and is open, because his attempts to do something more creative too often end in turnovers disguised as missed shots (or not disguised at all).
                Last edited by WSUwatcher; January 28, 2019, 07:18 PM. Reason: Typo
            Working...
            X