Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparisons . . .

It is a bit painful at the moment.

I've generally thought that programs that start a bit of a slide is a cause for worry. But there are lots of examples to the contrary.

In 2013-14, Purdue was 12th in the Big 10 (last)

In 2016-17 they won the regular season title and made the Sweet 16.

Just food for thought.

At this point almost everyone seems to think it will take about 3 years to right the ship... you are not alone.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
      WSUwatcher commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm one who doesn't expect it to be that long, Crestway.

I believe, for example, that if Teddy Allen had received the waiver many others similarly situated have gotten, WSU would already be far more likely 11-8 than 8-11, and no worse than 3-4 in the American with the schedule about to lighten up. Thery'd be a probable NIT team with a chance to work their way onto the bubble for the NCAA.

Unfortunately, WSU got its usual treatment from the Locus of Evil and Corruption (a/k/a NCAA), and the absence of Allen has combined with if not a "perfect storm" of other personnel mishaps, at least a damn strong squall, to get them off to a very rough start. But Teddy will be around next year, the young guys will be a year better, and the PG (and other) leadership should be much better as well, especially if Ricky Torres ever remembers how to shoot. I also don't think WSU's 2019-20 roster is a finished product yet, and I believe the final version will be more talented overall than what we're seeing this year.

As a result, I expect this to be at worst a one-year blip much like what Butler experienced after moving from the Horizon up through the A-10 for a year and then the Enormous East. (And, being the proud and faithful sunshine pumper that I am, I'm not giving up hope yet even for this year to turn around at least somewhat.) I believe WSU is a likely lower tier tournament participant this year, putting up the necessary bid / bucks to gain some additional experience, with next year marking a return to more familiar postseason territory.

I’m expecting ~ 16 wins next year, and 20+ the next two years. These freshman will all know the system next year, and understand what it takes to win as upperclassman.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Teddy won’t make a big difference if we don’t have a outside game. Teams will pack it in and Teddy does his damage 10’ and in. We are 327th in the country in 3 pt %

Comment

• MikeKennedyRulZ
        MikeKennedyRulZ commented
        Editing a comment
        SHJ will be gone.

So true, our shooters better show up.

Comment

SHJ will be gone.
        The team average on 3's is .303. SHJ's is at .318. The % GOES DOWN without SHJ.

Can our guards post up? Echenique and Chandler are both above 40% from 3. Maybe we need a different version of an inside out game.

Other than the posts, there are only 3 guys shooting above the team average of 30.3%. McDuffie at 38%, SHJ at 31.8%, and Dennis at 30,8%.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• MikeKennedyRulZ
          MikeKennedyRulZ commented
          Editing a comment
          My point is he takes opportunities from others with selfish play. The young guys don’t get a chance to get repetition and consistency with their in game shots. It would be ok if he was shooting 45% or even 38% to 40%. But he’s not!

• RoyalShock
          RoyalShock commented
          Editing a comment
          Those young guys pass up wide open 3-pt opportunities, and I don't think it's because they are trying to get SHJ the ball, as it happens when he's on the bench, too.

We need 3-4 guys on the floor at any given time that ate a threat to score. We don’t have that on the roster coming back next year. Marshall screwed up on the recruiting and now he has to swallow that pill. We need some attrition to occur and he needs to do a better job shaving.

Comment

Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
          At this point almost everyone seems to think it will take about 3 years to right the ship... you are not alone.
          I am not saying it will take three years. Purdue went from last to 3rd in the Big Ten in one year; 15 total wins to 21 wins; 5 conference wins to 12 conference wins in a year.

Comment

• 60Shock
            60Shock commented
            Editing a comment
            But was Purdue's team as overloaded with Freshmen and Sophomores as we will be next year?

How many players on our current team who "can't shoot" could shoot very well in high school. Why is that you reckin'?

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that’s the problem. They couldn’t and we overlooked that flaw in their game. Erik was probably the best “shooter” but his stats really showed that he had to hoist up a lot of shots to get his numbers.

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            Torres shot 43.3% from 3 last year as a 1st Team NJCAA. Burton shot 38% for the season leading his team to the finals in the largest classification in NC.

None of the freshman came in as efficient high school scorers.

Comment

Ricky Torres

71-164 43% from 3

Erik Stevenson

91-243 37% from 3

T

Comment

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Cold. Hadn't gotten to this your post yet.

We were dealt a blow with Cupid headed to Oklahoma, Shamet leaving early for the NBA, and Buckets ineligible. It created a woeful imbalance and lowered my expectations. I don’t expect those lower expectations to last.

i want a winning season, a positive RB edge every game, lowering of turnovers with a play angry/MTXE attitude even though they are all knees and elbows and barely grow any chin whiskers.

I will continue to support them and HCGM 100% and relish in their dominance once they mature and Gregg recruits some gun slingers with a good eye. The last two games have been difficult. The team just needs to dig deeper and keep fighting.

Go Shox.

Comment

• Dave Stalwart
              Dave Stalwart commented
              Editing a comment
              Cupid seems like an appropriate nickname

• Kung Wu
              Kung Wu commented
              Editing a comment
              Cupid. lol

A concern I have is that "attitude" is on its second year of being questionable. Many of us sensed it last year, spoke about it, and had it confirmed by the player comments at the end of the season. This year, we have been hearing that there are issues as well...we have also seen some of the results on the floor. Yes, there is a LOT of youth on this team...but, that "detriment" should be showing change by this point. Unfortunately, we haven't seen progress (quite the opposite) in a few weeks. That had better start coming or next year is going to largely like this year. Yes, we will have Teddy...but, we will be without out top scorer from this year and SHJ as well (and, I know that many of us are not all broke up about that). We don't know who will be leaving...and, I expect it to be at least 2-3...and possibly more. It is going to be an interesting Spring for the Shockers...and, unfortunately, the interesting part isn't going to be on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
              How many players on our current team who "can't shoot" could shoot very well in high school. Why is that you reckin'?

T

Different and tougher competition? Coaching? What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post

Different and tougher competition? Coaching? What do you think?
                When you're 6'3" and the guy guarding is a 16-year old 6'1" guy and the next year the guy guarding you is an athletic 6'4" 20-year-old guy, you're shooting % might drop off a bit.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                X