Wichita State @ Connecticut Pre-Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State @ Connecticut Pre-Game

[137} Wichita State 8-10 (1-5) @ [89} Connecticut 11-8 (2-4)
    Saturday January 26th - 5:00 PM - CBSSN

KenPom Numbers:
    Wichita State AdjO: 103.3 (185) vs 100.2 (110) Connecticut AdjD
    Wichita State AdjD: 99.7 (98) vs 108.1 (85) Connecticut AdjO

After the USF loss, everything about this team has been questioned. Do we have a good PG? Does Marshall need Forbes and Jans back? Are we recruiting good enough? Do we just suck?

It doesn't get any easier for us, a harder road game in Storrs. KenPom predicts a 76-69 (72%) win for the Huskies.

I predict a 76-73 UConn victory in OT. Our defense will wear them down in the 1st half, holding them to 29 points to take a 35-29 lead, then UConn brings it back with a 12-0 run to make it 69-63 with 2 minutes left, then we hit 2 clutch 3s to send it to OT, and our offense falls flat and we fall. Hard to predict a Wichita State road win these days.
    Last edited by FadedCrown; January 25, 2019, 07:20 AM.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

We win maybe!
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
        [136} Wichita State 8-10 (1-5) @ [84} Connecticut 11-8 (2-4)
        Saturday January 26th - 5:00 PM - CBSSN

KenPom Numbers:
        Wichita State AdjO: 103.3 (185) vs 100.2 (110) Connecticut AdjD
        Wichita State AdjD: 99.7 (98) vs 108.1 (85) Connecticut AdjO

After the USF loss, everything about this team has been questioned. Do we have a good PG? Does Marshall need Forbes and Jans back? Are we recruiting good enough? Do we just suck?

It doesn't get any easier for us, a harder road game in Storrs. KenPom predicts a 76-70 (72%) win for the Huskies.

I predict a 76-73 UConn victory in OT. Our defense will wear them down in the 1st half, holding them to 29 points to take a 35-29 lead, then UConn brings it back with a 12-0 run to make it 69-63 with 2 minutes left, then we hit 2 clutch 3s to send it to OT, and our offense falls flat and we fall. Hard to predict a Wichita State road win these days.
        Whew, I feel a little better; thought it was on CBS versus CBSSN.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Shocks bounce back. May not win, but I expect them to play with a lot of intensity.

Comment

Can we just hit some layups? I find myself not caring about the results at all at this point other than just wanting to see us play hard, smart and take advantage of what's given to us. Make some bunnies and hit some free throws.

Comment

• BOBB
              BOBB commented
              Editing a comment
              If we do these things we might actually win.

I am a glutton for punishment. Headed up to NYC now and drivng to Storrs on saturday morning. My 3rd game of the year.

Comment

• Shocker1976
              Shocker1976 commented
              Editing a comment
              Travel safe and enjoy the game. I will be driving up for the ECU game - can't wait.

We're in the same league as UCONN! Let that thought sink in for a minute (there will be better days my friends).

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• BOBB
              BOBB commented
              Editing a comment
              Topanga ftw

Not sure things can get much worse than Tuesday.

With that said, we ain't winning this one either with the cards that we're dealt.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              God I hope things can't get worse than Tuesday.

Then suddenly, we have a new leader.....

Like I see in the thread, the little things matter.
            • Limit bad passes
            • Avoid bad fouls
            • Hit layups
            • Good ball movement to avoid bad shots near end of shot clock
            Do at least 3 out of 4 and we can keep it close, but we still don't have a road win.

Connecticut's defense is not elite, but respectable. Our offense needs to show up.

Comment

Another learning opportunity for the young Shockers.

Comment

There has been a noticeable decline in fans predicting scores lately good or bad. Hope
                my success streak continues as I am predicting a win tomorrow 69-66. SHJ has a
                good day.

Comment

Do we have a good PG? I don't think we even have a bad PG.

Does Marshall need Forbes and Jans back? Yes. Breaking in two new assistants, one who has never coached above the HS level, and bringing in 9 first-year D1 players can easily result in the performance we're seeing this year. A program needs more than one assistant with experience in the program with that many new players.

Are we recruiting good enough? It would be nice to have the luxury of giving the players 2 years in the program before answering that question, but that luxury may not exist in the current situation.

Do we just suck? Pretty much. Coming up with anything roughly equivalent to WSU in the AAC to a team in MVC would be a rather disappointing and humbling exercise. It would be a team that can nearly win a league title one year and then drop to the bottom of the standings in the next year.

Back on topic. This team is not a team of road warriors. Remember, back in the day, when the Shox were the winningest road team in the NCAA? It's time to remove all memory of that when predicting the outcomes of games this year.

I'm afraid that this year's version of Shocker basketball could set a realistic goal of playing competitively at Tulane. Then try to build off of that road experience.

UConn - 68
                  WSU - 56

Not a blowout, but not really a contest either.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

This isn't really relevant, but I often read our posts on here and just hope and pray that the players and coaches don't read Shockernet. I'm sure they do, at least some, but I wish they didn't. Unless, of course, what they see here is motivating.

Comment

• FadedCrown
                      FadedCrown commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I should be motivating, and if the coaches see it and don't use it as motivation, then we have a problem.

• Slalomshocker
                      Slalomshocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just curious why so many have this feel that the players and coaches 'can't know' the fans are not pleased with their play? Think GGG minces words when breaking down film? Correct me if I am mistaken, and this is by no means directed solely at the OP, but these 'kids' are all legal adults and are being 'paid' to play ball here. Why do so many want us to just hand out participation trophies to them? D1 basketball is a business, and we fans pay the bills. If a player comes on here and gets upset because some fans are talking about how poorly he played....he's not mentally tough enough to play at the top level of D1. As was said by Faded, it should be motivating to see that even the 'painters' in the stands see the problems.

• Shocktoberfest
                      Shocktoberfest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think you guys are correct as well. I'm not suggesting they can't know. I was simply thinking from a "pile on" mentality with a group of young players who obviously have very little confidence right now, lurking around here wouldn't really help. But then I could be completely wrong. I was just thinking out loud really. Carry on.

It is a simple as this, we are never going to know if or how coach is motivating his players, what we can see is their response in their play. Right now, looks like either coach(es) is not motivating them or it is not sticking with them.

Comment

• another shocker
                      another shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      it looks like a team with 9 newcomers to d-1 basketball is what it looks like.
                  Working...
                  X