McDuffie Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You don't know anything and talked out of both sides of your mouth. You don't know whether he is a leader or not. I've heard that the players look up to him. I'm tired of people who don't know what they are saying acting like they know.
    Well, I probably know as much as most on this board, including you. Maybe I don't know anything. Maybe you don't know anything. I will guess at the least you really don't know how much I know (or don't). You have opinion, as do I. Look, I wasn't knocking MM. He just isn't a the type of leader some of us are talking about. That is not a knock on MM as that fits most players. A lot of non-guards are not. Again, that's not a knock. Most underclassmen look up to seniors (or non-seniors who deserve it). If underclassmen (or newbies) are not looking up to a senior, you have a problem. That's much worse than want's being said. FVV was the type of leader I'm talking about and, I believe, others also here. Baker and Armstead fit that mold.

MM leads by his work ethic on and off the court. He plays hard, even if some of his decisions on the court are a little questionable. He's also a scorer and he takes that role, being senior, as someone who his teammates should be able to rely on (as in the game tonight so far tonight). I commend him for that.

Good player or great player does not necessarily equal a great leader. I said that Markis is one of our best as a player. I also don't believe he is any worse a leader than most other seniors. I would describe MM and Cle much the same although Cle had the luxury of having others on the team as it's "leaders" as being used on this board by many of us.

Comment

• Shockm
      Shockm commented
      Editing a comment
      From my sources, he is Dexter’s roomie and players like him, and think we’ll of him. It is obvious that in the past, players deferred to him in big situations on the court. As time has gone on they too have taken on increasing roles to lead. He wasn’t a leader in the past, and is no FVV, but as much as possible, he has become a leader for the team. But anything that is negative toward him is just rediculous.

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      Shockm, just what part of what I posted was negative? That I didn't compare him to FVV as a leader? Seriously??

MM leads by his work ethic on and off the court? How about :He's also a scorer and he takes that role, being senior, as someone who his teammates should be able to rely on (as in the game tonight so far tonight). I commend him for that. Markis is one of our best as a player? Comparing to Cle? I know, it must have been "Good player or great player does not necessarily equal a great leader" which was about players in general, not MM directly?

• Watching Mark and the coach embrace in the locker room celebration video made it very hard for ol' CB to maintain his assholish stiff upper lip. Those two genuinely love each other and it's hard to be a critical fan when I witness that. I've warned others who've asked for my input that it's best that I stay mum. But in the spirit of brotherly love, I will attempt to look positively on Mark's contributions from here on out and turn a blind eye (just like our coach) towards the maddening **** that happens game in and game out...

T

...:cool:

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      LMAO!

• bighouse
      bighouse commented
      Editing a comment
      This must be my wife's burner account, because you are a master at the backhanded complement. You getting soft on us CB!?

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      Baby steps.

T

• Comment

• I just hope that Mcduffie doesn't get to hyped up coming home to play in MSG. Sometimes getting to hyped with family and all being at the game can distract you. Other guys will have to raise the level of their games for us to win. Go shocks. Wichita is behind you.

Comment

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        I had these thoughts too. He played bad at UConn with all his people there.

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        Just need a few extra game balls in case he shoots the cover off the others...... :angel:

T

• McDuffie needs to practice his interview skills for the big apple. I think lutz woke him up from a long nap. Getting his rest for the next game. Pretty funny laid back demeanor.

Comment

• Markis McDuffie's Team Wins PIT Championship

McDuffie averaged 10.3 points and 7.3 rebounds in his teams 3 wins at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament. Basically, Portsmouth allows 64 college seniors a chance to step outside of their college systems to showcase their talents in front of NBA scouts.

Not sure Markis did much to raise his NBA profile. Generally speaking, all 30 teams flock to Portsmouth (adjacent to the larger city of Norfolk) each year to search for potential second-rounders and undrafted sleepers. While measurements are taken and distributed at the event, Portsmouth is far from the microscope that is May’s NBA Draft Combine. A handful of players participating in the PIT should earn combine invitations. My guess is Markis won't be among those.

In the 3 games Markis was a combined 10-32 (31.3%) from the field including 5-17 (29.4%) on presumably NBA 3-point attempts and 6-11 (54.5%) from the free throw line with 2 assists and 7 turnovers.

Lipscomb's Garrison Matthews was on Markis' team and he didn't fare much better.

Markis' teammate Chris Clemons out of Cambell,, who led the nation in scoring this past year, was the Tournament MVP. Tulsa's Daquan Jeffries and Memphis' Jeremiah Martin were also on the 12 player All-Tournament team.

Usually there will be a few follow up articles analyzing top prospects at Portsmouth.

Here are the highlights from the Championship game. Markis is #15 on the team in white. I think about the only highlight Markis had on this video was a one-on-one move that resulted in a fall away 10 footer on the left baseline at about the 1:30 mark of the video.

Here is the full replay of the Championship game if anyone is interested:

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 21, 2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• I watched the above PIT Championship game video. Not the prettiest basketball you will ever see. Pretty playgroundish stuff.

Based this game at least I would say the guys who may have done themselves some good were Tulsa's Dequan Jeffries and Charleston's Jarrell Brantley.

Comment

• Jeff *******Verified account
            @GoodmanHoops
            2h2 hours ago More

If you weren’t invited to the NBA Draft combine or the G-League Elite deal, the odds of you being drafted aren’t exactly overwhelming.

Doesn’t mean you can’t make it to the NBA, but there were more than 100 players invited to the two events.

Comment

• Shockers'
              #1JerseyBoy
              has been busy participating in draft workouts with the Charlotte Hornets.

Comment

• Good for Duff. Hopefully he can make a good impression and at least get to meet His Airness.

Comment

Working...
                X