No announcement yet.

McDuffie Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• His KenPom ORtg is very similar to Baker's and FVV's in 2016 and at a higher usage rate than either (way higher than Ron's), which is crazy to think about. Others on this squad are not putting up the numbers he's putting up and they're doing that at much lower usage rates. This to me says that McDuffie should probably shoot more. Sometimes selfish ball is winning ball, and I think Markis and this team are good examples of that.

Super hot take: if you replace Markis with Ron Baker on this team, we are worse this season.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting "hot take" Made me think about it a little. I think I would take Baker though.

• cjp27
      cjp27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Except Baker could play PG 50 times better than anyone on this team and PG play is the weakest link by far this year.

• Does KenPom measure winning?
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

He is definitely in Marshall's top-10. My personal top-Marshall players are 1) Fred 2) Barker 3) Murry 4) Cotton 5) Shamet 6) Markis 7) Stutz 8) Hall 9) Ragland 10) Armstead.

Honorable Mention: Morris, Durley, Hannah, Frankamp, Durley.

I probably am missing one, or two.
      Unfortunately for McDuffie, Marshall cares much more about team accolades than personal ones. The latest Groupthink mantra on this board is that Mark is the only good player wearing a Shocker uniform and must get "his" every game regardless of how hot or cold he starts. The reality is we have a lot of capable players who for a multitude of different reasons aren't reaching their potential. One of the best ways you get a newbie player to start playing well is to get him a lot of reps, and get him some really easy bunnies. I cannot count the times that Fred or Ron had a low scoring output but made a strong visible effort to get their teammates involved in the game. Ron and Fred (Cotton and Wessel) knew that the team was stronger when everybody was involved rather than when one individual goes off for 30. They knew that you sacrifice today to be stronger down the road when it really counts. How many teams have we beaten over the years where one guy scored 25+ and we had 5 guys score 8-12? Innumerable. We have now become the team we used to beat... easily.

There was never a single game where I thought Ron or Fred was "playing for an NBA contract". It's to the point now that I can't remember a game when MM wasn't...

T

...:cool:

Comment

• proshox
        proshox commented
        Editing a comment
        You must have forgotten about Ron’s go to move as a senior.. the baseline spin to a fade away shot.

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
      His KenPom ORtg is very similar to Baker's and FVV's in 2016 and at a higher usage rate than either (way higher than Ron's), which is crazy to think about. Others on this squad are not putting up the numbers he's putting up and they're doing that at much lower usage rates. This to me says that McDuffie should probably shoot more. Sometimes selfish ball is winning ball, and I think Markis and this team are good examples of that.

Super hot take: if you replace Markis with Ron Baker on this team, we are worse this season.
      Super wrong take. Go ahead and insert every single "star" player from the Evansville Juggernauts and you can come to the exact same conclusion. Ron Baker should have been called Mr. Intangible - Mr. Five Tool. Mark could be called Mr. 1-Dimension. Give Tevin Glass or Eric Hamilton Mark's reps and I bet they can score 20 too.

Markis McDuffie couldn't carry Ron, Fred, OR Tekele's jock strap if he had a wheelbarrow.

"Usage rates" ROFL! What a scam statistic that means exactly the opposite of what it attempts to infer. Players have an ADVANTAGE when they get the ball in their hands every time down the court.

T

Comment

• You still under appreciate how McDuffie has accomplished this year without virtually any help. Baker and FVV's accomplishments were with experienced and talented upperclassmen players like Cleanthony Early, Tekele Cotton, Darius Carter, and Carl Hall just to name a few (not to mention Ron and Fred themselves).
        Last edited by Shockm; February 20, 2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          Brother, you still underappreciate how much more he could have accomplished WITH their help.

T

• Shockm
          Shockm commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t think I do. While I think that Fred and maybe Ron will get banners some day. I think they wouldn’t be viewed with the same greatness had they played alone with 9 Freshmen on their teams without any other help from other very good players to help them succeed. Many Shocker fans don’t look at Markis with this in mind. Playing as an upper class man, on the same team with Fred may have pushed Markis to play much better and be viewed in a possibly similar stratosphere to how Fred is viewed. MM definitely is under appreciated. .

• ShockerFever
          ShockerFever commented
          Editing a comment
          You're losing it Shockm. You're fighting so hard for this that you're viewing other things differently. You sure you aren't a relative? It's fine if you are, but that would also explain a lot.

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Unfortunately for McDuffie, Marshall cares much more about team accolades than personal ones. The latest Groupthink mantra on this board is that Mark is the only good player wearing a Shocker uniform and must get "his" every game regardless of how hot or cold he starts. The reality is we have a lot of capable players who for a multitude of different reasons aren't reaching their potential. One of the best ways you get a newbie player to start playing well is to get him a lot of reps, and get him some really easy bunnies. I cannot count the times that Fred or Ron had a low scoring output but made a strong visible effort to get their teammates involved in the game. Ron and Fred (Cotton and Wessel) knew that the team was stronger when everybody was involved rather than when one individual goes off for 30. They knew that you sacrifice today to be stronger down the road when it really counts. How many teams have we beaten over the years where one guy scored 25+ and we had 5 guys score 8-12? Innumerable. We have now become the team we used to beat... easily.

There was never a single game where I thought Ron or Fred was "playing for an NBA contract". It's to the point now that I can't remember a game when MM wasn't...

T

Absolutely this.

Despite auditioning in every game, MM won't ever come close to the number of minutes Baker or FVV have logged in the NBA, or even Early for that matter. That's assuming he sees any minutes at all, which I think is a long shot at best.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Absolutely this.

Despite auditioning in every game, MM won't ever come close to the number of minutes Baker or FVV have logged in the NBA, or even Early for that matter. That's assuming he sees any minutes at all, which I think is a long shot at best.
          Time will tell...

check back with you on this thread in 2 years and we will discuss more then...

Comment

• Tulsa vs Wichita tonight.

Look at all the passes, look at all the great performances, and Mark didn't get off... but guess what, we absolutely hammered a team at home that doesn't lose much at home this year.

I would just like to thank Mark for not pressing when he was not allowed to be the star of the show tonight.

I vote for Mark to not break 10 pts. again if that is what it takes for us to play like the old unselfish Shockers.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
              Tulsa vs Wichita tonight.

Look at all the passes, look at all the great performances, and Mark didn't get off... but guess what, we absolutely hammered a team at home that doesn't lose much at home this year.

I would just like to thank Mark for not pressing when he was not allowed to be the star of the show tonight.

I vote for Mark to not break 10 pts. again if that is what it takes for us to play like the old unselfish Shockers.

T

I was seriously about to chime in on this but held back. Glad you took the lead.

MM is an asset to this team and can be a key part of it. But he doesn't have to be the GUY for us to win. And this one proves it right here. A team > an individual. Simple as that. And they looked good doing it.

Might not see any notable posters in here tonight.

#hating
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• A much better performance by everyone tonight. McDuffie had a couple of threes go in & out, but still had a positive impact on the game.

Did anybody notice how open multiple Shockers were tonight (after hitting threes)? There is a thing called gravity especially wth match-up zones. Did you notice who was never able to catch the ball with space?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I was seriously about to chime in on this but held back. Glad you took the lead.

MM is an asset to this team and can be a key part of it. But he doesn't have to be the GUY for us to win. And this one proves it right here. A team > an individual. Simple as that. And they looked good doing it.

Might not see any notable posters in here tonight.

#hating
                  All last night proved is that if someone not named Markis McDuffie actually makes some shots, we look a lot different. That hasn't been the case a lot of games this year.
                  Last edited by rjl; February 21, 2019, 11:00 AM.
                  The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Speaking of not forcing things last night, DD got hot and when Tulsa made adjustments to slow him down, DD did Not force the issue but rather recognized it and passed to his team mates. Quite enjoyable to see this rising star making positive strides forward in team play.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                      Shocktoberfest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Absolutely agree. I'm pumped to watch this kid's next 3+ years. Pretty darn cool.

• It was not a big night for Burton to score points but to see him both take care of the ball and get 10 assists was wonderful. Yes, I too appreciate MM and SHJ and to see our squad have several weapons now is a breath of fresh air as we march forward in this very interesting Season.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Heading into last nights game, MM had 22 assists on 42 turnovers, That tells me to much dribbling and not enough passing, Trying too do to much can lead to turnovers. I like MM a lot but he has to get his teammates involved in order for us to be successful. JMO.

Comment

• 1979Shocker
                        1979Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't think it means too much dribbling. I think it means that when MM gets the ball he is more likely to shoot it than he is to pass it.

• Chickenhawk hunter
                        Chickenhawk hunter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        last time I checked shooting the ball and missing is not counted as a turnover.

• Now #16 all time within striking distance to FVV.

Comment

Working...
                      X