McDuffie Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Well let's just anoint Taylor, who I believe is an excellent writer, the end-all, be-all of leadership recognition. You mean if I write an article and express an opinion about why I think Donald Trump is the greatest President in the history of our country you will buy it (just to keep Kung Wu from spitting up his Scotch on the rocks through his nose, I don't believe the Donald is the GOAT...well maybe he is!)?

I do 100% agree with your comment that Markis is the BEST leader on this team. The other nominees are somewhat underwhelming however. I am a realist. Markis will make millions in Europe. I will root for him regardless of where he ends up. I will buy you a steak dinner and drinks if Markis establishes himself in the NBA. I would love to buy you that steak, however.
    Well seeing how we agree. You’re on. I’d however, be ecstatic if he just got a cup of coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Well seeing how we agree. You’re on. I’d however, be ecstatic if he just got a cup of coffee.
      I hear you. :-)

Comment

This is the McDuffie appreciation thread.

Those who can’t judge him in context of this “team” need not post.

Those who can’t judge him in the context of “4” need not post.

Those who cannot understand one of the best defensive teams in the country decided to use a three way switch to guard him need not post.

He is the best best player on this team by a country mile. The dropoff after him is dramatic. Maybe some day guys like Dexter will be better, but this isn’t someday.

Finally, Go go back and watch WSU in the preseason tournament against average teams and realize how Ron faired without Fred. Or how ordinary teams like UNI with one real player made both of them look in the MVC tournament. McDuffie’s challenges this year are significantly more difficult.
        Last edited by proshox; February 19, 2019, 07:19 AM.

Comment

McDuffie for President!!!

Comment

McDuffie for President!!!
            He is more honest than Trump...plus his step-back is better.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
              Look, I know MM has had a pretty good year offensively but he also takes a lot of shots and many are forced ones. He is barely averaging one apg which is NOT the sign of a true leader.

If MM continually found the open man he would be averaging 3-4 apg instead of one, teams would then realize there is a price to pay for doubling him and back off giving himself more, not less, opportunities to get good shots and he IS a very good shooter.
              I guess Cleanthony Early wasn't that good either then?

In NO UNIVERSE WHATSOEVER should MM have an apg around 3 or 4. You can't compare 1 and 2 guard stats to MM when it comes to apg.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

... (just to keep Kung Wu from spitting up his Scotch on the rocks through his nose ...
                Too late.

Comment

We have zero guards shooting over 40% and none are above 45% EFG, and people can't figure out why Markis' assists are low? That shooting level wouldn't have made the rotation any previous year but here we are, all the guards shoot terribly. But yes Markis' passing is the problem.

​​​​​​Oh and regarding turnovers I saw earlier as well, of course raw turnovers are a career high, he's playing more minutes and on the ball more than ever. If you look at turnover rate, the percentage of possesions that end in a turnover, he's setting a career low and is by far the best on the team at taking care of the ball.

Comment

In response to KingWu - has MM EVER had a triple double? Did I ever compare him to guards assist
                    numbers? No. For you to suggest he couldn't achieve those apg numbers is ludicrous. There are many high scoring front court players who averaged that and getting
                    doubled like he does as often as he does makes it easier for him to get 3-4 apg if he had that mindset
                    Last edited by asiseeit; February 19, 2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• proshox
                      proshox commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It should be noted that HCGM has had multiple meltdowns after Mcduffie draws the attention of multiple defenders, swings the ball, and the receiving teammate fails to shoot.

As the rest of the team plays well and makes good decisions the numbers for McDuffie will get better.

Originally posted by proshox View Post

Those who cannot understand one of the best defensive teams in the country decided to use a three way switch to guard him need not post.

He is the best best player on this team by a country mile. The dropoff after him is dramatic. Maybe some day guys like Dexter will be better, but this isn’t someday.

Finally, Go go back and watch WSU in the preseason tournament against average teams and realize how Ron faired without Fred. Or how ordinary teams like UNI with one real player made both of them look in the MVC tournament. McDuffie’s challenges this year are significantly more difficult.
                    Spot on! What he is doing this year does not compare to any year in the past. The American is a much tougher beast than the Valley ever was. He is the target of every gameplan of opposing teams and is still putting up amazing numbers. Yea Cincy figures it out this week, and Greg will adjust to combat this quickly.

As far as assist that his not his role. His role is to be the recipient. If you go back and look at every game this year there are many, many times he has had the open look but not fed the ball. Honestly he should be averaging closer to 25 per game if half of these looks were fed properly.

keep in mind the level if competition that they face. One of the toughest schedules in the country. He is climbing up many all time shocker records while missing most of last year with the injury.

Great leaders need great followers. KEEP this in mind when looking closely .

huge fan always will be, he will get drafted one of the most overlooked players in the NCAA by most. Scouts will/are seeing it.

Comment

• JVShocker
                      JVShocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I really just don't see it, not at the NBA level. I hope that MM goes on to do amazing things, maybe even play professional basketball, I just think it'll be overseas. I just do not see what the scouts do. I appreciate what he has done for WSU.

Originally posted by proshox View Post

Who are you arguing against?
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                      We have zero guards shooting over 40% and none are above 45% EFG, and people can't figure out why Markis' assists are low? That shooting level wouldn't have made the rotation any previous year but here we are, all the guards shoot terribly. But yes Markis' passing is the problem.

​​​​​​Oh and regarding turnovers I saw earlier as well, of course raw turnovers are a career high, he's playing more minutes and on the ball more than ever. If you look at turnover rate, the percentage of possesions that end in a turnover, he's setting a career low and is by far the best on the team at taking care of the ball.
                      Why is the ball sticking on him so much?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

In response to KingWu - has MM EVER had a triple double?
                        Say what, now?

Did I ever compare him to guards assist numbers?
                        Sandwiching a reference to RB and FVV when discussing MM and then concluding MM would be averaging 3-4 apg if he found the open man is sure implying it ...

"THIS is exactly what a RB or FVV would do. They had very high BBIQ's which is what our two seniors both seem to lack. If MM continually found the open man
                        he would be averaging 3-4 apg instead of one ..."

For you to suggest he couldn't achieve those apg numbers is ludicrous.
                        My gosh, Ron Baker, who you brought up as an example -- and who had to play far too much point guard while teammates were injured or moved on -- only averaged a 2.8 apg for his career at WSU. I guess he was a failure for not getting a 3/4 apg average either?!

There is NO UNIVERSE where Markis McDuffie should be averaging 3 to 4 assists per game at Wichita State.

Comment

In response to KingWu - There are many high scoring front court players who averaged that and getting
                          doubled like he does as often as he does makes it easier for him to get 3-4 apg if he had that mindset
                          Actually if you watched Taylor Eldridge's video against Cincinnati, he wasn't getting doubled. Here it is if you missed it.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...226421090.html

2. CINCINNATI HAD A GREAT GAME PLAN ON MARKIS MCDUFFIE

In the first meeting, Cincinnati primarily sat back in a 2-3 match-up zone and banked on the Shockers not being able to make enough outside shots. That proved to be a good strategy, but it also allowed McDuffie free rein around the perimeter and he was able to score 21 points against the Bearcats at Koch Arena.

McDuffie has thrived on the perimeter this season during middle pick-and-rolls. WSU places him on the wing, so it’s his defenders’ responsibility to help on the rolling big man down the middle of the lane as the big-man defender recovers. McDuffie spots up and WSU’s point guard is usually able to throw back to find him for an open catch-and-shoot.

The first adjustment by Cincinnati was to switch to a switch-everything man defense for the majority of the game. The second adjustment, a truly special one dialed up by Mick Cronin, was to essentially have the Bearcats execute a triple switch every time they sniffed out WSU’s bread-and-butter play.

So when WSU brought its center to screen for the point guard, the two defenders switched. But instead of having the guard defender trying to muscle WSU’s center out of the lane, Cincinnati would switch again by having McDuffie’s defender slide over to cover the roller. This allowed the perimeter defender that was guarding the ball to immediately turn his eyes to McDuffie on the wing and take away the throw-back pass.

Comment

Markis is garnering some national recognition from ESPN, listed as one of the top 5 players in this league (not only the best player on the Shockers team). Marshall also was mentioned in the article as someone interesting on the national level.
                            American (Overall ESPN.com experts' rank: 6)

What's good about the American: It's better than the Pac-12. The dreadful top-to-bottom performance of the Pac-12 has enabled the AAC to sneak out of the top-seven cellar. Much of it can be credited to the performance of Houston and Cincinnati this season, as the Cougars are sitting in the top 10 nationally and Jarron Cumberland has emerged as one of the country's premier scorers. There is plenty of talent in this league, from Shizz Alston to Jeremiah Martin to Markis McDuffie to B.J. Taylor, even if they aren't true national names.

Comment

Working...
                            X