McDuffie Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDuffie Appreciation Thread

Enjoy watching him play this year. We may not hit the bar set by past teams, but he has become a phenomenal player.

Yes. Very, very happy for MM

Comment

Appreciate McDuffie. Depreciate SHJ.

Comment

Yes, he’s having an awesome season.

Comment

Markis is certainly exceeding my expectations at least on the offensive side of the ball. Leads me to believe his injury last year bothered him more than I realized.

Opponents have to be keying on him so it has been impressive that he has been able to maintain his production into AAC play.

Comment

MM will be 1st team all AAC, and near the top of many of WSU’s all time statistical categories. I don’t think the Shocks win 5 games all year without him. Boggles my mind the number of people that thought we should have kicked Markus to the curb and just played the young guys to “get the experience”. Thankfully coach doesn’t take advice from Shockernet!

Comment

It's a legit question as to who's going to replace his and SHJ's scoring contribution. Can the remaining players on this team replace the almost 30 pts. a game WSU will be losing?

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, it is a legit question. That's going to be tough. I think that is why many of us are not expecting too much out of the team until the year after next. Their is great hope that Teddy Allen will perhaps provide some of this scoring but he isn't going to replace it. The rest is going to have to be by committee. Hopefully, Tyson Etienne and DeAntoni Gordon will provide some scoring but they probably need a year to adjust to the college game.

I’m especially concerned about next years three point shooting. Who is going to shoot the 3? Not sure I can remember the last time someone not named MM or SMJ made more than one 3 pointer in a game.

Comment

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Our young guys have got to get more comfortable asserting themselves into the offense next year. I think we’ll probably have an offense that runs through the post next year, like we had with Stutz and Shaq. We have 2 centers (JE and AM) that should get more touches next year. I can also see IPBC play more 4 next year and may provide a bit of offensive spark.

• shockrah
                shockrah commented
                Editing a comment
                They didn't name him Theodore Buckets for missing!

MM will be first team AAC

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                I’m especially concerned about next years three point shooting. Who is going to shoot the 3? Not sure I can remember the last time someone not named MM or SMJ made more than one 3 pointer in a game.
                That's because our offense is very sticky and doesn't see a lot of movement. Two players are taking over half the teams's shots. Our assist numbers are at unheard lows. The freshman players aren't getting the ball at times in the offense when they're open a lot. Yes, I'll see some deferring but when the offense is centered around 2 players, you aren't gonna see a lot of production from anybody else.

Hopefully that changes with adequate PG play and better running offense next year.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                  MM will be 1st team all AAC, and near the top of many of WSU’s all time statistical categories. I don’t think the Shocks win 5 games all year without him. Boggles my mind the number of people that thought we should have kicked Markus to the curb and just played the young guys to “get the experience”. Thankfully coach doesn’t take advice from Shockernet!
                  I'm happy for MM. I really am.

He takes a large number of bad shots though. When they're going in (which lately they have), I can't complain because points are being put on the board at an efficient clip. But when they're not, it really sets the offense back. Because they're bad shots, we usually don't have rebounders in position and the overall flow of the offense is stymied. MM may be one of the best ever at making bad shots. Maybe twisting fadeaways aren't bad shots for him. If he continues to hit those at the clip he has, I can accept that.

I can only imagine how good he'd be in a smoothly ran offense, where unselfish play led to much more easier baskets. When the ball sticks to a guy or two, I can't imagine the chemistry of the entire team goes over well. There were a couple players yesterday that actually tried to feed the post and if I remember correctly, none of those occurred from the two seniors. I just wish there was an attempt to move the ball more but apparently the plan is on hiatus.

Yes, I'm happy for MM and his offense. Just wish he was more well-rounded in other aspects of the game, like he seemed he was earlier in his career.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• proshox
                    proshox commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Early in the season I agreed with you, now the shooting percentages tell me this take of “bad” shots isn’t a reality.

The dude is incredibly efficient despite being the defensive focus. Also there are enough possessions where he doesn’t touch the ball - guess what? We hardly score on those.

Also, MM fed the post as well including times we scored.

People, don't worry about next year, "next man up!"
                  MM & SHJ will be replaced.
                  As far as this year, MM is on pace to be All-AAC. We will upset one of the top-3 on their floor...book it. We will win 7 conference games, but will probably lose in the first round of the con-tourney, although it would feel good to win once in Memphis. All this will play out to unveil the producers for next year and beyond, including leadership. We have minimal quality leadership in our upperclassmen this year, which is hard to quantify. Oh well, I love watching program play basketball.

Comment

• Dan
                    Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m betting we win one, very possibly 2 games, in Memphis.

• AndShock
                    AndShock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wouldn’t bet against us winning the whole ****ing thing.

• Mr. Pickle
                    Mr. Pickle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Unless we beat Cincinnati (maybe that's what you were implying), we don't even play another top 3 Conference team the rest of the schedule.

I wonder why the opposing team doesn't play their best defender on MM? Or maybe they are.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                    I wonder why the opposing team doesn't play their best defender on MM? Or maybe they are.
                    Maybe it's because the opposition knows that if it becomes the MM and SHJ show, we are going to lose. Let them get untracked early and be a 2-man show. The opponent gets the win. But if MM and SHJ get others untracked like DD, JB, and ES... then we win.

The Shockers playing team ball are a formidable bunch. The Shockers playing Iso-ball... meh - just like everybody else.

The Shockers playing team ball + Play Angry and we are going to at least the second weekend in March.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Maybe it's because the opposition knows that if it becomes the MM and SHJ show, we are going to lose. Let them get untracked early and be a 2-man show. The opponent gets the win. But if MM and SHJ get others untracked like DD, JB, and ES... then we win.

The Shockers playing team ball are a formidable bunch. The Shockers playing Iso-ball... meh - just like everybody else.

The Shockers playing team ball + Play Angry and we are going to at least the second weekend in March.

T

...:cool:
                      Best post yet Cold. 100% agreed.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                      X