X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018-19 Media Truth

"These six NCAA basketball tournament staples might have a March without madness" - The Washington Post

By Patrick Stevens
    Posted: January 11 at 11:52 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.e113389dbca4

"With more than two months of basketball remaining between now and Selection Sunday, it’s darn-near impossible to answer questions about what a team needs to do to reach the NCAA tournament. (Other than “win the conference tournament,” smart aleck.)

It isn’t too early, though, to identify some postseason regulars that might not take their usual spots in the field. Injuries and inexperience have played a role for some of these teams, but there’s also the matter of opportunities for high-end victories in the months to come.

This isn’t to say all six of these teams are doomed; Arizona, for example, looks like it will be a factor in the Pac-12, and most of those head coaches on this list have well-earned reputations. But each of these programs faces a heavier lift than usual at this point to get back to the NCAA tournament...

WICHITA STATE
    No. 131 NET, No. 127 KenPom, NCAA streak: 7

The Shockers started four seniors and sophomore Landry Shamet last season when they went 25-8 during their debut season in the American Athletic Conference. But Shamet turned pro, and Wichita State (7-7, 0-2) has scuffled since an opening night loss to Louisiana Tech.

The story isn’t surprising. The Shockers are leaning on plenty of young players, and a typically ambitious nonconference schedule produced some good moments (victories over Baylor and Providence) but also five losses.

Things aren’t getting easier. Wichita State dropped an overtime decision to Temple on Sunday. The next three games: at Houston, followed by home dates with Central Florida and Cincinnati. The Shockers haven’t dropped 10 games in a season since 2009-10. They might get there by mid-January this year...."

Ouch. Sometimes the truth hurts. Do you think this team would respond to locker room bulletin board posts?

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
      Ouch. Sometimes the truth hurts. Do you think this team would respond to locker room bulletin board posts?
      You said it in your first full sentence, so why would it be locker room bulletin board worthy?

Comment

Bulletin board material is overrated. These guys know where they stack up.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Well, I'll chime in with an opinion that is totally worthless, but isn't that the point of a board like this?

I don't think this group would respond well to negative bulletin board material. I think it would make things worse.

The new players are likely to be struggling with confidence. They are experiencing losses stacking up for the first time in their lives. There's something I'll call the "Sr/Fr divide" that probably isn't helping. The Sr's aren't used to losing either, and they probably see the Fr as the reason the team is losing.

This team needs something they can look at to build their confidence. Bulletin board material that would have inspired players like Hall and VanVleet might not be the best way to approach a huge group of new players who seem to be struggling with confidence already.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• OregonShocker
            OregonShocker commented
            Editing a comment
            I tend to agree with you. In that regard, the tougher NC schedule wasn't helpful, but who could've predicted this group as the roster when the schedule was being completed? I suspect they were counting on a) LS remaining b) MM returning to form and c) Teddy being eligible.

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            OregonShocker what exactly do you or do you think the coaching staff is expecting from Duff when you say rounding into form? Markis is averaging 19.1 ppg, shooting, best 3 point shooter that matters, best FT shooter, shoot the most FT, 2nd in rebounding, first in steals and is arguably our best defender as well. Does rounding into form mean being better than Zion Williamson? (That's hyperbole mostly because I think we're getting close to all we could hope for out of Markis)
        Working...
        X