Trends in Shocker Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I am assuming 3G’s level of recruits increased from Winthrop to WSU. Likewise, I would expect he’s able to chase a higher level recruit since we joined the AAC. It was, afterall, one of the things mentioned as an advantage to joining the conference.
    That is the $64,000 question. Gregg Marshall's success stems from his ability to out-recruit his respective conference using brute athletic force to overwhelm his competition. He had MVC-quality recruits in the Big South, AAC-quality recruits in the MVC, and he'll need... I'll let you finish the sentence.

Any other "secret recipe" besides the one outlined above requires Marshall to go head-to-head with some very talented and experienced coaches using his clipboard. That could result in a positive win/loss ratio but it will look nothing like what we enjoyed in the Valley.

I like a lot of the players we've signed but we're going to need more firepower (think a couple Tekele Cottons in size 6'5 and 6'9) from here on out if we're going to have any chance of making this conference our *****. And I do believe that should be our goal; we aren't playing in the ACC folks. This conference is only marginally better than the MVC in head-to-head basketball matchups.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• FadedCrown
      FadedCrown commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think is that accurate. Yeah we landed borderline 4 * guards, but most our success came from developing what we have. (Baker, Morris, etc.)

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      There's always going to be development in players; that will come naturally with age and experience as well as tutelage. But at each successive level you will get higher quality clay in which you can mold something finer when it's all said and done. The elite recruiters (like Marshall) are able to secure higher quality clay than their peers on average.

T

...:cool:

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I don't care what their ranking is, I just want to stop signing guys that aren't well rounded players. Was it a surprise that Chance couldn't play defense? Is it a surprise that Mitgaard is slow? Is it a surprise that Burton can't shoot? These guys could compete in the Valley but we need guys that are AAC ready on both sides of the court.
    Chance really should redshirted he was no way physical enough to play GM Defense. Sounds like he was convinced he should have been a day 1 starter. I think Burton will be a very solid player in time. We have to remember these guys are Freshman. I can remember thinking what did the staff see in R Kelly and T Cotton as Fr. Fred was about the 9th guy off the bench most his Freshman season. Baker Brown and Shaq redshirted as Freshman. As for Mitgaard he is definitely a project, and if your going to have a project at the end if the bench might as well be 7 ft 270. Unlike most recent years this is not a reloaded but a re-build.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
      If Shamet had not left so early and Lomax was here there wouldn't be any of this bs "we're not recruiting enough talent" talk. We're recruiting just fine. Unforeseen schitt happened .
      Don't forget if RN didn't have to pull a redshirt or Austin used his head we are sitting pretty good his year. Lot of things happened that made this year a rebuild.

Comment

I do feel some of the freshman were best available at the 11th hour after the perfect storm blew through. It will not surprise me to find out at the conclusion of the season that one or two or so ended up being rent-a-players for one season. It's just not realistic to think you're going to land a handful of quality recruits over the summer. That said there are some nice building blocks heading forward.

Comment

Working...
        X