Ten years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten years ago

Was just thinking back to Marshall's second year, 2008-2009. Mid-January, the Shockers were 0-6 in the Valley, coming off a double-digit loss to a Missouri State team that was 0-5 in the league prior to that game. The way we were playing, I wondered out loud how in the world we were going to beat anyone the rest of the year.

Three days later, the team came home to a packed house and a blackout vs. Creighton, some kind of switch flipped, we beat their butts, ended up 8-10 in the league, and would have beaten Creighton again in the Valley tournament if Booker Woodfox hadn't elongated time. It's not like we became world beaters, but it was way better.

I'm not saying this to pump sunshine, I don't actually think we'll see that dramatic a shift this year (different circumstances!), I think it'll take a lot of hard work in the offseason. I'm just saying... we were bad. BAD. And then, we weren't. And then we won 25 games the next year.
    There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

going to be a rough start. I was really hoping to steal that game at Memphis. 0-5 is a likely start.

Next is:
    Temple
    @Houston
    UCF
    Cincinnati

I only see us possibly being competitive in the Temple and UCF games.

Then we have a run of games that are winnable
    @USF
    At UConn
    SMU
    Tulsa
    @ECU
    Tulane

We should be able to win 4 of those

Then @Cincy is a sure loss

Then we finish with 6 very winnable games to take some momentum into the tourney.
    @Tulsa
    Memphis
    UCONN
    @SMU
    ECU
    @Tulane

Comment

• another shocker
      another shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      what in the world makes you think that wsu will be competitive in the temple game? and ucf? because it's at home? sounds good on paper. and a run of games that are winnable after that? hunh..?

look.. the shockers are going to be greatly improved.. next year
      Last edited by another shocker; January 4, 2019, 07:31 PM.

Very good posts by both of you.

Comment

This season will be rough. Probably our worst season over the next 10 years. I think the good news is that being in the AAC, when we are good again, we can hopefully skip the NITs and get in the dance.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

It's possible but a few things have to happen. 1) All four of our centers have played well and are NOT
        the problem. 2) I believe I might have mentioned this before but our starting guards are our biggest
        problem and on both ends of the court. Many don't see ES as a PG but I do simply because of court
        sense and hustle. Having said that I believe we would need to play a lot more zone with him at point.
        Early in the season I suggested this. I'd still like to see ES at PG with DD playing the shooting guard.
        Long guards that would be good in a 3-2 or 2-3 zone. I'd move MM to small forward and demand that
        he toughen up his defense and shot selection ( at times ) and get pulled like a freshmen if he doesn't.
        I'd start IC at power forward. If teams zone us both he and JE shoot the 15 footer well enough to play
        high low post and would be interchangeable at it. Imagine a 2-3 zone with two long armed guards,
        MM and IC on the sides and JE in the middle ! 3) JB and MU first off the bench 4) AM needs to be
        given a realistic chance - his stats for 40 minutes are just to good and with IC at PF we would need him
        more. 5) I can tolerate stupid freshman mistakes as long as the energy is there 6) not seeing enough
        energy on defense from our seniors or smart offense - that has to change or lets go young and build for
        next year

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          This would be interesting. I don’t see how ES could be any worse at PG than JB. The biggest problem with this lineup would be how we would handle the press. DD and MM cannot handle the ball in traffic or pressure situations.

What I am hoping for: Beat Temple by a wide margin, then drop against Houston, only to beat either Cincy or UCF. 2-3 start with 3 road games, not bad. Go 11-2 the rest of the way to finish 13-5 and get a Top 4 seed in the AAC tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
          What I am hoping for: Beat Temple by a wide margin, then drop against Houston, only to beat either Cincy or UCF. 2-3 start with 3 road games, not bad. Go 11-2 the rest of the way to finish 13-5 and get a Top 4 seed in the AAC tourney.
          What I am hoping for is that Ann-Margaret texts me and meets me at the Airport Hilton.

Comment

Comment

• pinstripers
            pinstripers commented
            Editing a comment
            I was sooooo in love w Dusty

• N Crestway
            N Crestway commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that is a Burt Bacharach song. You've got to love him too even though he couldn't sing worth a damn..

Not sure if serious?

I mean, hey, anything is possible so don’t let anyone get ya down but the scenario described above seems highly unlikely. It’s ok to dream big but I hope you don’t turn around and complain about how we suck when/if that scenario doesn’t play out.

Comment

Sorry, my friend, but just in what Alternate Universe are you watching this year's Shockers play?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

only see us possibly being competitive in the Temple and UCF games.
              i hope so. UCF beat Alabama and has only lost a game or two. I understand they have had a pretty lame schedule though

Comment

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                Surely we’ll ‘Evansville’ somebody... :)

Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

i hope so. UCF beat Alabama and has only lost a game or two. I understand they have had a pretty lame schedule though

I know. I'm hoping the home court advantage comes through and we pull a Baylor

Comment

Are you trolling now?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Welp y’all, here we are.
                  There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

Working...
                  X