Beggs Stepping Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beggs Stepping Down

Don Beggs, who has been president of Wichita State University since 1999, is stepping down.

Beggs has asked the Kansas Board of Regents .to begin looking for his successor, according to an e-mail message he sent out this morning.

Here is the text of that message to WSU faculty and staff:

The Kansas Board of Regents has accepted my request that they initiate the process for selecting the next president of Wichita State University. They plan for the process to be completed and the 13th president of Wichita State University to be in place during the summer of 2012.

The immediate impact is the need to stop the search for a provost until the new president can assume responsibility for the process. All other planned activities and planning processes will continue.

The Kansas Board of Regents is determined to identify a person who is committed to our students, faculty, staff and alumni. The success of our university is a reflection on each of you and the special city and region that we serve. We are continuing to change to be prepared to address new challenges as our world changes. We will continue to do more to be more.

I am committed to full speed ahead to make this a positive year in every way!

Donald L. Beggs
    President

So what does this mean or could mean for shocker athletics?

Could it open the door for a president willing to take on the challenge of possibly adding football?

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town
      So what does this mean or could mean for shocker athletics?

Could it open the door for a president willing to take on the challenge of possibly adding football?
      I suppose it could. It could also open the door for a president who isn't as supportive of overall athletics as Beggs was.

Comment

Nope

Unlikely, Ta -- unless Charles Koch has decided to submit his name, the Board of Regents approves him, and he brings his checkbook.

Comment

What is the process for hiring a new president?
          ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
          www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

I've always thought President Beggs did a great job, he really cleaned the university and surrounding area up as best as he could. He also did a great job for the overall athletics of the university.

I really hope his replacement is someone who will continue the ship moving forward in the right direction.
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

We could get another Warren Armstrong. That worked out well for the athletic department.

Comment

Re: Nope

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                Unlikely, Ta -- unless Charles Koch has decided to submit his name, the Board of Regents approves him, and he brings his checkbook.
                I didn't say this means that. I was asking what potential affects this could have on shocker athletics. Football was one obvious question that I asked, Royal provided another view suggesting WSU could end up with a president not as supportive of athletics. You however just gave crappy input, but thanks anyways.

Comment

It seems like an odd time for a President to step down, considering the realignment issues with conferences, and how it all runs through the President, at least with these other schools. I wonder if this points to the fact that WSU is not on the move, what so ever, or the opposite that we're getting a new President in, so they can be the captain of the ship when things change, considering Beggs was rumored to step down in the coming years, and they didn't want him to make a decision for the next president, and he have to deal with it.

Or it could just mean nothing on the conference realignment issue.
                  ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

President Beggs served the university for over a decade; I think he has earned the right to enjoy a (second) retirement (since he retired from SIU before coming to WSU.) Every university president leaves a mixed bag behind; good decisions & bad decisions, good luck & bad luck. I think he tired to do his best within the confines of his experience and ability and I hope he enjoys his retirement.
                    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Re: Nope

Originally posted by Ta town
                      Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                      I didn't say this means that. I was asking what potential affects this could have on shocker athletics. Football was one obvious question that I asked, Royal provided another view suggesting WSU could end up with a president not as supportive of athletics. You however just gave crappy input, but thanks anyways.
                      No WSU president is going to support football unless he/she sees the potential for the Shocker community and others to fund football and the other necessary expenses. Taking scholarship money (i.e. mill levy money) from WSU students might be great for all of you who have graduated but does not serve future Shockers well at all. If Sedgwick county decided to raise the mil levy from 1.5 mills to 3.0 mils and dedicate the additional 1.5 mils to WSU athletics, football could easily return.
                      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

We need football

Comment

Originally posted by EB 22
                          Let me know if you find out...I think I'd like to throw my hat in the ring.

Comment

I would think that health/age issues are at the core of this decision. Shirley beat cancer last year and when things like that happen most couples reassess what their priorities are. They are at that place in time where they can spend more time with their kids and grand kids and now seem to be healthy enough to travel and do those things. I wish them all the happiness that should follow good people.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
                              Originally posted by EB 22
                              Let me know if you find out...I think I'd like to throw my hat in the ring.
                              I would rather your uncle threw his hat into the ring. :yes:

Comment

Working...
                              X