A weird thing happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A weird thing happened

I was in Kelly's in Westport tonight when Bill(known as Red, 85 years old) pulls out of his backpack a 1964 65 Shocker men BBall pic signed by all players and coachs. He tells me he lived in Wichita at this time and was in the hospital. He said the entire team came to his room and signed the photo,. It had Kelly Pete , Stallworth, Bowman and Thompson. He then pulls out a 18 Caret gold George Brett speciall edition baseball card . Just when I thought that was it he pulls out a 1926 baseball card with Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in a civilian scene shaking peoples hands,. He tells me its one of the rarest cards of all time.
    I suggested he should will the WSU pic to WSU and he seemed very open to that. What a strange night I must say. :posterwu: 8)
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

I am looking on the net to find the card of the Babe and the Iron Horse I saw tonight, so far no luck
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Pretty cool! Spent many nights in Kellys in my youth.
      Livin the dream

Comment

badass man ... bad ass
        Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Re: A weird thing happened

Originally posted by kcshocker11
          I was in Kelly's in Westport tonight when Bill(known as Red, 85 years old) pulls out of his backpack a 1964 65 Shocker men BBall pic signed by all players and coachs. He tells me he lived in Wichita at this time and was in the hospital. He said the entire team came to his room and signed the photo,. It had Kelly Pete , Stallworth, Bowman and Thompson. He then pulls out a 18 Caret gold George Brett speciall edition baseball card . Just when I thought that was it he pulls out a 1926 baseball card with Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in a civilian scene shaking peoples hands,. He tells me its one of the rarest cards of all time.
          I suggested he should will the WSU pic to WSU and he seemed very open to that. What a strange night I must say. :posterwu: 8)
          "Holy jack-in-the-box, Batman!" I think Bill's my long lost grandpappy. :yes:
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

yipes, stripes, beechnut gum.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Now ... lets say he asks which one of these items you want for free. You can have only one and no getting creative -- just one. Which one would you take?
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Wow, what I'd give to have a conversation with a guy like this.
                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu
                  Now ... lets say he asks which one of these items you want for free. You can have only one and no getting creative -- just one. Which one would you take?
                  I'd take Ruth/Gehrig. As much as I love the Shox and George Brett, Gehrig is one of my favorites and that card would be something!
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Very Very cool! I have almost a dozen early Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and Honus Wagner cards from the teens through the early 30's.

I follow most of the major card online card auctions

I'm also not sure which card you are talking about. I will try to do some research and find out what it is. If you ever see him again, try to get a picture of it with your phone and then maybe I could tell you about it.

GO SHOX
                    GO SHOCKERS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFan84
                      Very Very cool! I have almost a dozen early Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and Honus Wagner cards from the teens through the early 30's.

I follow most of the major card online card auctions

I'm also not sure which card you are talking about. I will try to do some research and find out what it is. If you ever see him again, try to get a picture of it with your phone and then maybe I could tell you about it.

GO SHOX
                      Will do, didnt think of it at the time.Both Ruth and Gehrig were in street clothes
                      8)

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                        I'd take Ruth/Gehrig. As much as I love the Shox and George Brett, Gehrig is one of my favorites and that card would be something!
                        Gehrig is one of my favorites too, so you would know he played 1132 consecutive games in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                          Originally posted by SubGod22
                          Gehrig is one of my favorites too, so you would know he played 1132 consecutive games in a row.
                          Don't screw with me. :P
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think I would take the signed Shockers pic. I don't relate to pro baseball much so if I took either of the other two, I'd have huge bragging rights and something of strong monetary value but I just wouldn't identify with 'em.

Yeah, I'd take the Shocks pic.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

And here I was thinking I was badass with my Nolan Ryan rookie card.

Comment

Working...
                              X