Wichita State @ VCU - Pregame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State @ VCU - Pregame

Markis McDuffie & Co. go to Richmond for a road test against a formidable VCU team. The Rams are 7-4 with a road win over Shaka Smart's Longhorns and also just lost to Charleston at home. Let's make it 2 home losses in a row for these Rams.

Wichita State lost their first road game 80-48 in OKC against an experienced Sooners' squad. Saturday at 3 PM CT on ESPN2 is the spot to see the Shockers have their first true road game of the season.

Expect VCU to pressure our guys early and often, and don't expect them to make or allow 3's.

Go Shockers!
    Last edited by FadedCrown; December 21, 2018, 08:52 AM.

Looking at their stats, a couple of things jumped out (beyond what is known about their pressure and turnover margin).

1. They are not a statistically strong shooting team. With the exception of a 2 for 4 guy, no player in their rotation shoots above 35% from three-point-land and only three shoot better than 30%. As a team, they shoot 27% from three and 39% from the floor. Shocks are better in both categories, but not a ton better. If this holds, the rebounding battle will be a huge part of this game.
    2. They have rim protectors. 6-7, 250 lb, Marcus Santos-Silva, their starting big, has the same block stats as Jaime. Corey Douglas, his 6-8, 215 backup, isn't much of an offensive threat, but he blocks 2.5 shots per game in just 18 minutes, which means he's damn good at it.
    Last edited by Wuzee; December 21, 2018, 11:11 AM.
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

This will be a good game since we stole Carl hall and Markis McDuffie from vcu by paying our players...

Comment

VCU has an elite defense, statistically. Offensively they are...challenged against better teams. I think this is going to be an ugly slugfest, and expect the winning score to be in the low 60s. If we can get a road win here, that will make me feel like this team is starting to develop and improve.

Comment

I'm not confident at all in this game. I suppose MM could go crazy and the team goes bonkers on offense like we did against Providence, but that was such an outlier.

First true road game in a hostile atmosphere.. I just don't want them to fold and settle if the deficit starts growing. Absolutely no repeat from OU... ever again.

I'm gonna say VCU by 12-15.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Good test for JE to see if he is for real. Will need some help on the boards. Have to play even in
            turnovers and rebounds while out shooting them from the perimeter. Don't see it. VCU 62-55

Comment

Yeah this one is going to be pretty tough to come out with the dub. For us to even have a chance, Jaimie needs to extend his minutes. Ricky's mid-range jumper should really help in this game as well. I don't think we win, but I think we fight hard and make it close.

Comment

KenPom has VCU a solid step below Providence and Baylor, so we know winning is possible. Will be interesting to see how they respond in a hostile road environment. If we can make eight threes, I say we win.

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shhhh… I hope SHJ doesn't read Shockernet.

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                KenPom has VCU a solid step below Providence and Baylor, so we know winning is possible. Will be interesting to see how they respond in a hostile road environment. If we can make eight threes, I say we win.
                Not if we attempt 35.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

VCU really hasn’t blown anybody out but their losses have been close. Mr. Pickle explained why. Somebody who doesn’t normally score much will need to make some shots if we are to have any chance. The fact they beat Temple tells me they are formidable.

Comment

This would be a huge win and would balance out the loss @ OU in my mind. Can’t wait!

Comment

One of our early Achilles heels (there has been more than one), is our ability to handle pressure (mainly full court but we've handled half court poorly too). We've been very bad doing that so this game would be a big one if we can grow in this area. Because of this weakness, I'd give VCU the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

WSU 78 VCU 72
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Time to grow up some more on the road and flex some AAC muscle!!!! Gotta play like men for 40 minutes!!! Go Shocks!!!!
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

vcu, seriously defensive minded vs. a young shocker squad.

hmm.. that's a bad recipe

Comment

Working...
                            X