X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Fred right on point as usual.

Fred VanVleet questioned whether a return to action could be carried out safely, and said he doesn't relish the idea of playing in front of empty arenas.

"I think people's health and well being, and frame of mind, is a lot more important than a couple of million here or there, because we're filthy rich compared to what we came from in the first place," he said. "So I don't think anybody's crying over it."

Comment

• Not Mincing Words with FVV. Gotta love it.

Comment

• Fred is so level-headed. Especially for a 26 year-old.

Comment

• As crazy as a dung beetle
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Good for him that he can lose a million dollars and not worry about it. Maybe some of the lower level players who don't make 6 million per don't feel the same way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                Good for him that he can lose a million dollars and not worry about it. Maybe some of the lower level players who don't make 6 million per don't feel the same way.
                The league minimum is around $582K. I think they'll be ok and won't be starving.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

The league minimum is around $582K. I think they'll be ok and won't be starving.
                  In reality, the athlete at the league minimum is really making a lot less. When you factor in the agent's cut, your accountant that figures taxes for all the cities you play in, your attorney and other factors, the actual take home comes closer to a guy just breaking six figures. Great pay, but when you have a career average of 4.5 years, it's not great.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• I'd take $300k/year to sit court-side at every game and go to practices.
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

In reality, the athlete at the league minimum is really making a lot less. When you factor in the agent's cut, your accountant that figures taxes for all the cities you play in, your attorney and other factors, the actual take home comes closer to a guy just breaking six figures. Great pay, but when you have a career average of 4.5 years, it's not great.
                      Six figures for doing nothing and get to say you're on an NBA team is better than most of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                        I'd take $300k/year to sit court-side at every game and go to practices.
                        Not to mention the fact that the NBA has the best benefit and retirement plans for taking care of players and former players.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Reminds me of this:

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threa...-family.67055/
                          Sprewell made $14.6 million last season in the final year of a contract he signed after rehabilitating while with the New York Knicks. Sprewell led the Knicks to the 1999 NBA Finals after serving a 70-game suspension for his attack on former Golden State coach P.J. Carlesimo early in the 1997-98 season.

After turning down a three-year $21-million extension from the Timberwolves, explaining he had "a family to feed," Sprewell went unsigned last summer as an unrestricted free agent.

According to Gist, Sprewell made the mistake of waiting on the Los Angeles Lakers at a time when the Houston Rockets, Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons and Cleveland Cavaliers all were expressing interest in signing him. But the Timberwolves and Lakers were unable to agree on a sign-and-trade deal that would satisfy both teams, and then other teams turned to other free agents. So by the time training camps started, Sprewell's only choice was to play for the veteran's minimum, which he feels is beneath him.

"It may have been the transition, going from making $14.6 million to $1 million because the rules say you're only worth this much. Making that adjustment probably took some time," said Gist, who believes Sprewell's pride -- and his hesitance to subject himself to public second-guessing over his "family to feed" quote -- is part of what's keeping Sprewell from returning to the NBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by California Shocker View Post

Six figures for doing nothing and get to say you're on an NBA team is better than most of us.
                            I think the point is that those guys aren’t swimming in extra money like Fred. If they have a family and live beyond their means, they need that next paycheck just as much as the next guy. If they’ve only been in the league a year or 2, they probably don’t have a lot set aside quite yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

If they don’t play they don’t get the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

If they don’t play they don’t get the money.
                                Should have been saving all that money when it was rollin in. They are supported by a union as well, let's not forget about that.

Comment

Working...
                                X