2018-19 Transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
    Should we be expecting 1 more potential transfer.....?
    I'd be surprised if RB comes back. He never seemed comfortable on the floor.

Comment

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      There's Allen at PF and Dexter at SF. If Gordon can learn two positions, he could be a 3/4 combo. That leaves mopup minutes for 3 years for Brown unless something major happens. Brown might want more than that for the work he puts in.

• who are the other 2 you are thinking? I know others have mentioned brown or chandler?

Comment

• I agree that Brown will transfer, but if its only gong to be mop up min at the 3-4, why would this JUCO guy be visiting with Sherfield?

Comment

• pinstripers
        pinstripers commented
        Editing a comment
        cause he's 6'7" and he's good at basketball

• WstateU
        WstateU commented
        Editing a comment
        He’s built like a brick $hithouse and can get to the rack.

• rjl
        rjl commented
        Editing a comment
        We're too crowded at the post. Either Chandler or Udeze will have to redshirt. It's up to them if they want to do that, though. If they don't, they'll probably transfer out.

• Right. I think he will get more min than brown would anyway. If we get these two guys this weekend, we are going to be so deep at every position. The only thing that would make us even deeper, would be if Nafali Dante decides to reclassify and follow Sherfield here instead of going to Kentucky. lol Crazier things have happened.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
        Shocktoberfest commented
        Editing a comment
        Not here they haven't. Getting Dante would reset the bar. That would be dope. I think he is reclassifying. At least that part is almost certain to happen.

• pinstripers
        pinstripers commented
        Editing a comment
        nothing crazier than that has ever happened

• WstateU
        WstateU commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be cra cra crazy...

• Not in some decades they haven't. He really liked WSU early on. Don't think he likes Wichita as a whole though, from some of his comments on social media. Just your typical, "there is nothing to do here." So hard to compete with the under the table funds these guys are getting going to the blue bloods anyway though. Especially when they have families in other countries to take care of.

Comment

• I also put this in another thread regarding RT:

Where ever he goes, I wish him the best and hope he finds his 3pt shot. A good guy and good teammate. I'll remember his inbound pass to DD for the win and how important that was to the balance of the season. Ricky, once a Shocker, always a Shocker.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          I also put this in another thread regarding RT:

Where ever he goes, I wish him the best and hope he finds his 3pt shot. A good guy and good teammate. I'll remember his inbound pass to DD for the win and how important that was to the balance of the season. Ricky, once a Shocker, always a Shocker.
          Yup, he represented WSU well on and off the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
            who are the other 2 you are thinking? I know others have mentioned brown or chandler?
            Chandler may not be a "Marshall" kind of player. That's not a knock on his skills, his future, or his ceiling. He just might not be a good fit between coach and player. Durley and Morris had that problem and it worked out well in both cases, but there are 4 Centers on the roster this time around. There were a couple of games where it was a total mystery why Chandler didn't get in the game. Sometimes that's an indication of less than maximum effort in practice. I don't know how Chandler reacts to having his a$$ handed to him by his coach, but if that's a problem for him, he might feel he could be happier somewhere else.

Stevenson's Dad made some pretty critical comments about WSU basketball on the Shocker Faithful Facebook page. Maybe he formed his opinions from watching games. Maybe he formed his opinions from what Erik told him. If Daddy's not happy, sometimes the player is unhappy too. We don't know. Those comments were made early in the season, so attitudes may have changed with success. Erik is from a suburban community. Most of the rest of the players are "not from the suburbs". There are difficulties getting people with that much diversity in their backgrounds to bond into a cohesive unit. Success on the court goes a long way toward overcoming that obstacle.

My opinion is sort of like a tornado watch. Conditions exist that indicate something could happen. When nothing happens, it's not really a surprise and we're relieved the situation has passed. Usually nothing happens, but sometimes something does.

With Torres gone, and Brown most likely next, maybe, just maybe one of Chandler or Stevenson might leave. When 9 new players are brought in, that's 3 years worth of recruiting, so 3 years worth of transfers shouldn't be a surprise.

I think Chandler's status depends on Udeze's willingness to take a shirt. If Udeze doesn't want to take a red shirt, both Marshall and Chandler might feel that Chandler has better options.

If Stevenson comes back we have struck gold. I would expect the brash white kid who's not afraid to speak his mind to bond with Dennis, and those two have incredibly different life experiences coming into WSU. Those two could easily be Baker/VanVleet v2.0 when it comes to demanding and enforcing total effort every minute (in practice and in games) from any who dare walk onto the court with them.
            Last edited by Aargh; April 10, 2019, 10:20 PM.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Awesome Sauce Malone
              Awesome Sauce Malone commented
              Editing a comment
              My experience with Erik's dad has been pretty much the same Aargh. I dont think Erik would leave because of him but Im just a dude.

WSU has been pretty good about keeping family stuff away from the court and the program though, especially recently

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Chandler may not be a "Marshall" kind of player. That's not a knock on his skills, his future, or his ceiling. He just might not be a good fit between coach and player. Durley and Morris had that problem and it worked out well in both cases, but there are 4 Centers on the roster this time around. There were a couple of games where it was a total mystery why Chandler didn't get in the game. Sometimes that's an indication of less than maximum effort in practice. I don't know how Chandler reacts to having his a$$ handed to him by his coach, but if that's a problem for him, he might feel he could be happier somewhere else.

Stevenson's Dad made some pretty critical comments about WSU basketball on the Shocker Faithful Facebook page. Maybe he formed his opinions from watching games. Maybe he formed his opinions from what Erik told him. If Daddy's not happy, sometimes the player is unhappy too. We don't know. Those comments were made early in the season, so attitudes may have changed with success. Erik is from a suburban community. Most of the rest of the players are "not from the suburbs". There are difficulties getting people with that much diversity in their backgrounds to bond into a cohesive unit. Success on the court goes a long way toward overcoming that obstacle.

My opinion is sort of like a tornado watch. Conditions exist that indicate something could happen. When nothing happens, it's not really a surprise and we're relieved the situation has passed. Usually nothing happens, but sometimes something does.

With Torres gone, and Brown most likely next, maybe, just maybe one of Chandler or Stevenson might leave. When 9 new players are brought in, that's 3 years worth of recruiting, so 3 years worth of transfers shouldn't be a surprise.

I think Chandler's status depends on Udeze's willingness to take a shirt. If Udeze doesn't want to take a red shirt, both Marshall and Chandler might feel that Chandler has better options.

If Stevenson comes back we have struck gold. I would expect the brash white kid who's not afraid to speak his mind to bond with Dennis, and those two have incredibly different life experiences coming into WSU. Those two could easily be Baker/VanVleet v2.0 when it comes to demanding and enforcing total effort every minute (in practice and in games) from any who dare walk onto the court with them.
            what did his dad say on the shocker faithful page in the past?

Are you hearing rumblings of Stevenson not returning? I have noticed he and DD have both been at Koch practicing everyday since the NIT loss.

Comment

• shock
              shock commented
              Editing a comment
              Considering how that’s more about a couple of seniors, I don’t think we have anything to worry about.

• N Crestway
              N Crestway commented
              Editing a comment
              Regarding Stevenson don't see any cultural problems assimilating...blue collar kid for a blue collar team. Dad resides what... 1500 miles away?

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              We gotta stop with the Stevenson’s dad remarks. The guy is a bit of a social media whack and should not be reflected on Erik. Erik is here to play ball. I would be shocked if he went anywhere.

• Stevenson sounded all in after the NIT
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• wufan
              wufan commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. The early comments from his Dad were mildly concerning, but I don’t think that it is concerning right now. Stevenson is a Marshall type of player.

• One more, if he decides to leave

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
              Stevenson sounded all in after the NIT
              Someone asked him on Instagram a week ago if the rumors of him transferring were true and he shot them down. He's been in the gym every day with Dexter. Those two are our core for the next few years.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                Shocktoberfest commented
                Editing a comment
                FWIW. Dexter, Erik and Morris were at the OSU baseball game last night and looked to be chummy and in good spirits. Not looking like a guy anxious to bolt.

• I have to admit to being surprised about Ricky transferring but then again, not really. His confidence took quite a blow when he couldn't hit a three in his first 16 tries and all of ShockerNation was watching with bated breath. Once he lost his starting role to the frosh, the writing was on the wall I suppose. I'm sad to see him go, the young man has had a really, really tough road, one I assume most of us here on SN have never had to trod. But even in a very down season (he was a superstar in JUCO), he kept his head up and stayed very classy. Coach Marshall brings in young men with character, that's for sure.

Best wishes for him in the next chapter, he deserves success for all his hard work.

Comment

• Stay in the shallow end or bring the floaties the next time you go off the deep end, Aargh.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Aargh
                  Aargh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, Fever. Getting chastised by you is typically a sign of doing something right. You ripped on Marshall most of the season for how he handled SHJ, even though you probably thought you were only criticizing SHJ, so I have a pretty good understanding of your IQ level in these matters.

• ShockerFever
                  ShockerFever commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I ripped on Marshall most of the season? I don't recall that? Care to comb over my posts and show me?

Comparing me commenting on SHJ's shortcomings to you thinking ES is gonna transfer out because he's white is really, really rich.

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yup, he represented WSU well on and off the court.
                I think he was genuinely well liked by his teammates, at least the two times I saw him in public with tyhe group...kind of a leader....he'll land well.

I see Nebraska.

Comment

Working...
                X