WSU vs Southern Miss Pre Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU vs Southern Miss Pre Game Discussion

Frankly, this is a team we should beat the brakes off if we are making improvements at all. 3 or their 7 wins have come against non-D1 teams, and they have lost by 16 to North Florida, and some team (non-D1) recently named William Carey. Of note, they did beat SMU early in the season on the road - make of that what you will.

They are Kenpom 145, with Offensive Eff 161, and Defensive Eff 133. They shoot the 3 ball decently well at 36%, but 62% free throw percentage as a team leaves a little to be desired. They appear to take decent care of the ball at 10 turnovers a game.

Scoring-wise they appear to be very guard oriented- top 3 scorers are all guards and all 6-4 or under. Magee, Edwards, and Griffin are their guys. They don't have much size at all, with only 2 guys on their team taller than 6-5, with one being a skinny 6-7 freshman.

I think we win if we do most of these things:

1. Get the ball inside early and often- finish in their our kick out to open shooters.
    2. SHJ look to get others involved in the offense
    3. Ricky continue his blistering 3 point streak
    4. McDuffie 2 or less fadeaway shots
    5. Force USM off 3 point line and consistently take contested 2's.

Playing this team at IBA maybe not so dumb of an idea now? No need getting boatraced by a power team in front of our biggest non-season ticket holder audience.

I think we'll see improvement. We HAVE to see improvement.

Aftermarket tickets are gonna be CHEAP baby. No excuses.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      Very good point... any idea on early ticket sales? Sure hope we have a decent crowd to properly honor Mr. Handshake.

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      Just Google the matchup and compare all the brokers against each other. Make sure you add to cart to see how outrageous the fees are. Should be able to get great seats for about 20 bux each including fees.

T

Just play with energy, hit the boards and pound it inside. Pass more and dribble less. Win 74-64

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      Play with energy and play like you're desperate for the win, like it's life or death. There has to be a Shocker fan that remembers the intensity we used to bring; how we would ratchet it up higher and higher until the other team just got overwhelmed and gave up. And we didn't do it with offense. In fact, those big offensive outburts usually got us in trouble as we'd let down a little in the second and it would take half the period to remember we are the Play Angry Shockers and not the Play Pretty Shockers.

T

looks like a little more than 50% capacity based on whats available on select a seat and third party sites.. probably look like the last time they were here in 2012 or less.. (attendance 9,619 on 22 dec 2012)

Comment

• pinstripers
      pinstripers commented
      Editing a comment
      Capacity of 15,000.............9+ would be a huge win this year

Shockers open up as 7.5 favorites over Southern Mississippi.

Comment

Seymour d'Campus - 64

WuShock - 71

Go Shockers!!!
      :poster_shocks::bball_spin::poster_shocks:

Comment

WSU wins! I quit predicting this team.
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you just did. Seems like a good prediction to me.

We win and hopefully look impressive doing so.

Comment

WSU wins by 13

Comment

This season is still fun to follow... Just gotta take the highs with the lows

Comment

This season is still fun to follow... Just gotta take the highs with the lows

Comment

I feel as long as we see improvement and some consistency that’s all we can expect with such a young and inexperienced team. I figured realistically it would take a few months before we saw any consistency. Last game I thought our post play was pretty good with Echenique and Udeze. We need to get some consistent play in the paint for us to have any success. We can’t just depend on the 3 ball especially the way we’re shooting it. Defense is improving, still have breakdowns. Turnovers and free throw shooting needs to get better. Should win this one, 8-10 point range. 75-65

Comment

I'm hoping for RT to find his shooting touch this game. ES to go off and score 20+ , SHJ to dish the ball instead of make stupid mistakes, and MM gets a double double! Shockers - 73 Bad Guys - 61
                  Shocker Alumni
                  Shocker Club Soccer alumni
                  Jayhawk fan but the Shockers come first

Comment

Taylor posted a story last night that WSU is one of the worst shooting teams in the nation when they have open looks (27%).

I have been tracking the advanced metrics in hopes of seeing some positive trends this team was growing.

McDuffie player efficiency has been on a decline over the last 4 games. Still a high level, but it clear teams are scouting this team and they put a much effort into stopping him. Echenique is the only other player on this team with a good player efficiency. He is up and down, but he did move ahead of McDuffie after last game (at 23.1 vs 22 for MM).

Stevenson had a pretty strong trend upwards through games 5-7 but on a decline in the last 2 (sitting at 15.7).

Udeze is a roller coaster with net trend up (16.3).

SHJ, Burton, Torres trends are either flat or declining - sitting around the fringe or rotation level.

According to KenPom ratings - WSU defense is on the slow trend of getting better, but the offense is getting worse.

Comment

Good post SB. Hopefully get a win and see progress at the same time. I see we are favored by 8.5, probably about where I’d have it. Go Shox.

Comment

Working...
                    X