We've lost our edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
    With the group that is currently on the floor, I don't see where we replace the points of MM and SHJ.
    I think Allen + combined minor increases from the rest of the returning team will more than make up for them. It will cause more balance. (don't take this as a knock on MM or SHJ)

Comment

• Couple things........this is not a good basketball team, and secondly, not all bad shooters improve and go to the NBA

Comment

• ShockTalk
        #126.4
        ShockTalk commented
        23 hours ago

Cold, I didn't need to add the defensive numbers, but that was the difference between an experienced team and an inexperienced team.

The Final Four team was not a great, maybe not good, shooting team, yet there's a lot of posters on this board concerned about a bunch of freshmen/newbies shooting numbers. For myself, this team needs to be worked hard on it's D more than it's offense which probably should be kept simple. Let your defense help make your offense easier.
        The logical and proven method of turning L's into W's and the foundation of the Gregg Marshall Way.

The strange thing is, unless your team is woefully unathletic, afflicted with a case of T-Rex arms, or suffers from severe cognitive disability, defense can be taught. And it shouldn't take very long unless the team is completely out of shape. I will point again to VCU as a great example of where we should aim as we attempt to regain a bit of the old Play Angry. Hopefully last game's tape will be running non-stop a la The Christmas Story in Shocker player's dorms and meeting rooms all during the break. But why am I feeling skeptical that will happen? If I hear one comment from the coaching staff or players resembling, "we will just put the VCU game behind us and move forward trying to improve", I will know we are nowhere near the bottom yet. More pain will need to be experienced.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I think Allen + combined minor increases from the rest of the returning team will more than make up for them. It will cause more balance. (don't take this as a knock on MM or SHJ)
          It going to take more than "minor increases". When you start comparing advance stats from previous season, you really start to get the true stat of where this program is at. It going to be several years of development and bringing in new talent for this team to be capable of becoming a NCAA tournament caliber team.

Comparison of Player Efficiency Ratings between this year team and last.

JE 27.2
          McD 22.2
          Udeze 14.0
          JB 11.4
          SHJ 10.4
          Eric S 10.2
          Dennis 10.0
          Brown 6.7
          Torress 5.9

Allen (21.0 - 2017/18)

Last Year Team
          Morris 26.8
          Willis 23.5
          Shamet 21.4
          CF 18.1
          Kelly 17.1
          Reaves 16.3
          McD. 15.1
          Nurger 14.8
          SHJ 14.7
          ZB. 10.6

If you look at Morris career he went from 16.8 - 21.6 - 24.4 - 26.8, an average of 17% increase/year (28.5%/12.9%/9.8%)

Assuming the team whole team improves 20% accross the board this is what next year team might look like.

[Projected 2019/20]
          JE 32
          Allen 25
          Udeze 17
          JB 14
          Eric S 12
          Dennis 12
          Brown 8
          Torress 7

These numbers don't make me feel all that optimistic. Now the good thing is, this year team has the ability to improve itself (and it numbers on paper).

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
            With the group that is currently on the floor, I don't see where we replace the points of MM and SHJ.
            SHJ is currently shooting 34.9% from the field. Not too concerned about replacing his scoring. Markis is a great player, but I think Teddy is more suited to be a go to guy than him. That combined with an improvement from 2 jc guys and 5 true freshmen that are playing this year... I’m willing to put money down next year will be a higher scoring team.

Do you guys really not understand that this team is leaning on true freshmen like no Marshall team before? Essentially any true freshman that has played meaningful minutes for us the last decade has been surrounded by experience and more proven guys. These guys will get much much better

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post

SHJ is currently shooting 34.9% from the field. Not too concerned about replacing his scoring. Markis is a great player, but I think Teddy is more suited to be a go to guy than him. That combined with an improvement from 2 jc guys and 5 true freshmen that are playing this year... I’m willing to put money down next year will be a higher scoring team.

Do you guys really not understand that this team is leaning on true freshmen like no Marshall team before? Essentially any true freshman that has played meaningful minutes for us the last decade has been surrounded by experience and more proven guys. These guys will get much much better
              Love the kid, but Markis is not a great player.

Comment

• ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• This fanbase is getting

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Love the kid, but Markis is not a great player.
                    Agreed.

T

Comment

• He's an outside threat, though, and Teddy is not gonna replace that

Comment

• PG - TE starts, JB, Fernandes and RT
                        SG - ES starts with DD playing there when ES sits
                        SF - DD starts with Gordon playing there also
                        PF - TA with Gordon first back up and then RB
                        C - JE, of course, MU, and then ?

Better TEAM on both ends of the court

Comment

• My opinion is that it is a bit premature to project what may happen with the Shockers next year.

Still a long way to go this year and hopefully the guys will show signs of growth and positive development. To what degree, if any, that happens will go a long way towards making more informed projections about next year.

Unfortunately, Jaime may miss out on a good chunk of the rest of the season which would be very valuable to his continued development.

I have to admit to not having seen Teddy play very much. I don't have to much doubt that he can help the Shockers. I am just not convinced at this point that he will be a savior. I think that is going to take at least a handful of players making significant improvements in their games, improve their consistency and for the team to develop a good chemistry.

I acknowledge that players can improve significantly from one season to the next but at this early stage of this season progress has been halting to say the least. I wish I had a really good crystal ball but I need to see how the rest of this season goes and what additional roster turnover might occur, if any, between now and next season.

I will say that to be bullish about next season I am going to have to see a lot of growth with this year's underclassmen over the remainder of this season.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 26, 2018, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• asiseeit
                            asiseeit commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I will say this. At the Madness scrimmage TA was the best player on the court but as Cold
                            points out there are some intangibles that come with his talent. Despite his size he can score
                            in the paint - knows how to use his body. Plays bigger than 6'5

• ShockTalk
                            ShockTalk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'd add to that: At WVU, TA had 2 "bombers" that took over 360 3pt shots and made just over 40% of them to help open up the inside, something TA could not do himself last year. He also had the 4th worst A/T ratio on the team with all 3 of the those worse being big men all over 6'8". Not saying that Teddy won't be a hand full for the opposition, but they will sag off him.

• 1972Shocker
                            1972Shocker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, he was impressive at Shocker madness but then I have to temper that with the fact he was doing that against exceedingly inexperienced players some of whom admitted they were caught in the headlights a bit.

Teddy should be a key player for us next year. But I am not convinced he can carry this team by himself. The key to how we do next year IMHO will not be Teddy. He will certainly help but the key will be how do Jaime, Ricky, Morris, Isaiah, Dexter, Jamarius and Erik progress plus whether or not the 3 incoming freshman can contribute. How Teddy will perform is probably the most certainty we have. Jaime, if healthy, should be very solid. Who knows how things will go with the rest of the guys.

• 1972Shocker
                          #147.4
                          1972Shocker commented
                          19 hours ago

Yes, he was impressive at Shocker madness but then I have to temper that with the fact he was doing that against exceedingly inexperienced players...
                          Hah! Good point. Exceedingly inexperienced players who have a penchant for making their opponents look like offensive all-stars.

To be fair though, Teddy more than proved in the B12 that he can score. We'll see about passing, defense, and discipline later...

T

Comment

• Phew, this thread sucks. Honestly, what did you expect this season? Chill out.
                            "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                            Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• Trust HCGM

Trust the process

Comment

Working...
                              X