Jans-Marshall Marshal-Jans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jans-Marshall Marshal-Jans

We've seen this before with Turgeon-Boyle. How valuable was the head assistant coach during each respective magical Shocker run. I think Jans was a helluva lot more important to Marshall's Shocker dynasty than anybody wants to admit. We need to lock the old boy down. He's going Power 6 sooner rather than later. Can we get the boosters to sign onto a Shocker Golden Era continuity program by endowing a 500-600k salary for Jans to come back as head assistant coach? Maybe sign him for 7 years under the stipulation that he is the guaranteed replacement for Marshall if 3G retires within that period? Add in that his starting salary will be $2.5M as head coach if he foregoes all the Power 6 offers during the contract period. Maybe add in a matching stipulation that if he's ever offered more than 2.5 we'll increase his eventual starting salary to that amount.

I know, it wouldn't be the smartest deal financially with respect to putting a ceiling on Jans' immediate earning ability, but it does offer job security and he would stand to get the head Shocker job at any time. Btw, didn't Jans meet his wife in Wichita?

Anywho... I want Jans running the Shocker program someday. If HCGM retired tomorrow I know Jans would come home and I would sleep like a baby that very night.

T

...:cool:
    Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; December 6, 2018, 04:58 PM.

I wonder what Gregg's retirement plan is. Young coaches ALWAYS say that they don't want to become old coaches. Gregg has certainly said as much. Thing is, when they get there, they realize that it is not such a bad gig, especially when making the kind of dough that quality coaches can make.

But yes, if Gregg retired tomorrow, my search would start and finish with Chris Jans. Chris turns 50 in April. If Gregg retires in the next 5-10 years (he'll be 56 in February), Chris would still be young enough to coach for the next 10-15 years. I could handle a quarter-century-plus of those two being in the captain's seat of our men's basketball program.
    78-65

Comment

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      Need a "love" button.

Why would Chris Jans choose to demote himself to an assistant coach for an undetermined amount of time? He’s already experiencing success as the head coach at his own program.

From my very limited interactions with him he seemed like a nice guy and his coaching skill is nearly indesputable at this point so of course I’d be glad to see him as the next head coach at WSU but this idea seems pretty silly.

If it works out that he’s available and interested when Marshall calls it quits, great. If not, he isn’t the only good coach in the world.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      Why would he do it? Not a lot of reasons other than he would be making twice as much income, flying in chartered jets, and getting to experience Koch Arena every game instead of NMSU whatever.

Yes, Alpha coaches like Jans would prefer to steer their own ship but maybe his wife prefers Wichita and 5-600K with zero chance of the program stumbling and a MASSIVE balloon payment coming up in the near future.

Of course if he receives a crazy lucrative offer sometime before Marshall retires he could always leave. Selfishly, I'd just like him back at Wichita State.

T

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      FYI Sheri prefers Wichita. And Chris will listen to Sheri, he's no dummy. As WuShock16 likes to say, like many of us Chris outkicked his coverage, bigly.

• WuShock16
      WuShock16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Doc kinda beat me to it, but I was going to say that the bigger question is: who do we want back in Wichita more, Chris or Sheri? That's a slam dunk easy question...and the correct answer isn't Chris.

Jans will probably be able to earn more than $500 - 600K within 5 years, so that's probably not enough.

I don't think the athletic department can afford to pay that for an assistant now or within 5 years. Paying Marshall and moving to the American seems to be about the maximum the department can handle right now. An extra 100 or 200K a year would be difficult.

What's to say that when Marshall leaves, that WSU won't be equally attractive or more attractive than many, if not most, P6 jobs? Jans might want to leave any place he might be to come back to WSU.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      I think Jans was a helluva lot more important to Marshall's Shocker dynasty than anybody wants to admit.
      Define "anybody". Because most everyone I know, people that know the program well, know explicitly how hugely important CJ was to this program and how uniquely talented he is.

Chris will be "called home" when the time is appropriate, and he'll have a hard time saying no.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        Anybody would be your average fan - around 80% of Shocker Nation. You think he'll "come home" to the AAC when he's coaching in the B12/B10/ACC? I'd say only if he's failing. This is why I'd like to lock him down if there was any possibility.

Not to mention our program gets instantly better when he's back on board.

T

Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; December 6, 2018, 03:32 PM.

• WSUwatcher
        WSUwatcher commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, just like Mama called for Paul Bryant many football seasons ago.

• WstateU
        WstateU commented
        Editing a comment
        https://media.makeameme.org/created/...oosball-is.jpg

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I say we just hire him away from his P6 job. We've clearly shown the athletic department is willing to pay top dollar for a coach. And I would laugh for weeks after we hired our next successful coach away from a P6 school like it was a stepping stone to the destination job of Wichita State.
        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          https://media.giphy.com/media/tsgNNs93oIbwk/giphy.gif

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd say right now he's a lock for a mid-level Power job. It's only a matter of one opening up at the right time. If he thinks in his own mind that he's Gregg's equal (or better) we have no chance with him. I guess I'm just wanting to put him in a warm room with little ventilation and close him hard with a suitcase full of cash open on the table hoping that he's slightly unaware of his value.

https://media.giphy.com/media/13grlznVx9Maty/giphy.gif

T

Why not just fire GM and hire Jans now?

Its obvious GM is declining and can't handle the big time. I read it somewhere from someone really smart.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          You mean other than a buyout in $20-$25 million range. 3G is leaving when he wants to leave unless he does something incredibly stupid.

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
        Why not just fire Boatright and hire Jans now?
        *fixed*

T

Comment

I have no doubt CJ is going to earn himself a fine job with a fat paycheck at a major 7 school in the next few years.

I also have no doubt that no matter where that fine job is, with few exceptions, CJ will be our next HC when HCGM retires from WSU.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
            C0|dB|00ded commented
            Editing a comment
            I hate to break it to ya but WHEN CJ gets a big-time job and WHEN he does well, he's not going to leave a desk drawer full of 4-star recruits begging to join his team so he can roll up his sleeves, doing battle with the exact same school he just left, for those same recruits at WSU. If he gets a quick Sweet 16, how on earth could he leave that job? I envision him taking over an Iowa State, a Missouri, a Louisville, and turning them into a perennial top 25 team overnight. No way does he leave that kind of prestige and job security to work 2x harder at WSU. That's just the sad truth.

We need to bonk him over the head and/or put a guilt trip on him so we can trap him in Wichita (get to the wife). As I mentioned earlier, let's give him the AD job until Gregg retires. Better yet, he could be head assistant coach/WSU AD. He'd be like one of those player coaches back in the old hockey days. He'd be able to coach the game, draw two salaries, and I bet he'd still get more done than Boatright.

Better believe Jans would know what to do with Mini-B. Zero hesitation.

Alpha's gonna Alpha.

T

• Rocky Mountain Shock
            Rocky Mountain Shock commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm glad to see you don't underestimate CJ. But I also see you are underestimating the appeal the WSU job would have for him.

Unless, of course, you're just stirring the pot. Surely you'd never do that...

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            https://media1.tenor.com/images/d1fa...temid=10700674

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
          I have no doubt CJ is going to earn himself a fine job with a fat paycheck at a major 7 school in the next few years.

I also have no doubt that no matter where that fine job is, with few exceptions, CJ will be our next HC when HCGM retires from WSU.
          Gregg is only 6 years older than Chris. I know HCGM won't retire until his 70th birthday so CJ won't be some spring chicken taking over for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post

Gregg is only 6 years older than Chris. I know HCGM won't retire until his 70th birthday so CJ won't be some spring chicken taking over for us.

Cold, Social Security will have 0.00000001 percent influence on his decision
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
            C0|dB|00ded commented
            Editing a comment
            Because he's got Shocker Security?

You need to tune your humor receiver im4.

T

Cold is usually a rah-rah sunshine pumper. This is the first time I've seen a doom and gloom scenario from Cold.

I think WSU can hire Jans away from any P(whatever number) program that would hire him.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Looks like NMSU has a game coming up against KU. GO AGGIES!!

Comment

This retirement discussion hits home. As an aging worker, still below medicare age,but eligible for retirement, I am beginning to understand the coaches that keep coaching. While retirement sounds appealing, if you have any doubts, would you want to start over? Some do, but others come to the realization that their current gig is really pretty damn good. They then stay until they are sure or ready to get run. Gregg may not want to be an old coach, but a retired Gregg would be a handful at home! Give him 5-8 years and he will probably have a little different perspective---then again, maybe not.
              Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

Working...
              X