X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baylor Pre-Game Discussion and Prediction Thread

SHOCKER GAME NOTES AND LINKS

SCOUTING BAYLOR:

***Rebuilding Baylor lost its top-four scorers and is picked ninth out of 10 teams in the Big 12 preseason coaches poll.

***The Bears finished 19-15 last year and tied for sixth in the Big 12 race (8-10). One of the last four teams left off the NCAA Tournament bubble, the Bears fell to Mississippi State in the second round of the NIT.

***Prior to 2018, Baylor had appeared in a school record four-straight NCAA Tournaments.

***Leading scorer Makai Mason (14.3) is the first graduate transfer in Baylor history after graduating from Yale.

***King McClure (14.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg) and Tristan Clark (13.9 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 3.0 bpg) are returning starters.

***Mark Vital is the only other 2017-18 holdover on this year's active roster. He's averaging 5.3 points and a team-high 6.6 rebounds.

MATCHUP MASHUP:

***Under Gregg Marshall (289 wins in 12 seasons at WSU) and Scott Drew (301 wins in 16 seasons at Baylor) the Bears and Shockers have been two of the nation's best rebounding programs. Going back to the start of the decade, WSU's average rebounding margin (+7.79) ranks second nationally. Baylor is 10th (+6.31). Both teams have been uncharacteristically average this year. The Shockers are +0.7 on the glass. Baylor is +3.7. Neither rank in the top-100.

***Both sides are rebuilding. WSU returned just 11.2 percent of its minutes from last year. Baylor returned 33 percent. Samajae Haynes-Jones is the only Shocker who saw time in last year's win at Baylor. He went scoreless in seven minutes. Markis McDuffie (injury) and Asbjørn Midtgaard (coach's decision) did not see action.

***Likewise, just three of the eight Bears are back from last year's game. Tristan Clark (six points, nine rebounds in 29 minutes) and King McClure (12 points in 29 minutes) both started. Mark Vital added eight points and seven rebounds in 19 minutes. A fourth Bear, Jake Lindsey, is redshirting this year. He scored three points in 24 minutes off the bench against WSU.

***WSU is in the top-50 nationally in KenPom for fewest shots blocked. Baylor ranks No. 4 nationally in blocks/game (7.0) and No. 1 on KenPom's block percentage chart. The Bears have blocked just over 12 percent of opponent shots. Clark is a big reason why, averaging 3.0 blocks on his own (seventh nationally). As of Wednesday, he also ranked No. 2 on the national field goal percentage chart (.780).

Dave Stallworth 72
    Dave Bliss 62

Comment

66 to 65 WSU
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Line Movements for Shockers vs Bears provided by VegasInsider.com, along with more ncaab information for your sports gaming and betting needs.

Vegas predicts a 1 point victory for the Shockers, 73 to 72

Comment

2013 NIT Champions - 69
          2011 NIT Champions - 78

Go Shockers!!!
          :bball_spin::yahoo:

Comment

This game can go either way, I think it's going to be close and come down to the wire, possibly the last possession as I think we're pretty evenly matched. If we play like the first half against Rice, I see a nice somewhat comfortable win. Stingy defense and smart inside offense would be great to see for 40 minutes as opposed to the first 20.

Consistency and improvement is all I can ask for at this point in the season.

Comment

Comment

Shox win by 8. Torres makes three three balls and 8 assists.

Comment

• TheShocktocles
                  TheShocktocles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know everyone is pulling for Torres to make that 3 pointer but I would be so happy if he stared knocking down his mid range pull up shot. It's a sweet shot. Go shocks.

Comment

One side note. Samaje could be going up against his teammate Devonte Bandoo from Hutch Juco who were both on the Juco National Championship team in 2017. And Bandoo is a pretty good player, will be interesting to watch.

Comment

I really feel we have to rebound. If we can outrebound the Bears we will win. DD has his best game yet.

SHOX- 88
                    Da Bears- 81

Comment

Snarling Bears - 70
                      Sizzling Shockers - 72

Comment

I don't see any way this isnt another close game, unless either one of these teams just has a horrible shooting night. If we keep this under 75 points on the defensive side, I like our chances. Size-wise I think we actually match up pretty well, as this doesn't appear to be a Baylor team that is as big as most years.

Comment

Not worried about our defense or the boards. I think we win as long as a couple major players don't shoot 30
                          times between them at a 20% clip. Agree it will be close with us pulling away the last couple minutes. ES
                          leads in scoring again and RT hits a three. MM has to be active on both ends and not stand around on the perimeter.
                          Shocks 68-63

Comment

It's gameday, bitches !! Yell loud!!

Comment

Working...
                            X