No announcement yet.

WSU-Baylor 300 Tickets Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that there are several factors at work here.

1. They have reached a price point that is causing demand to fall - people simply can't afford to pay more $$$$ every year
    2. An aging fan base is not being replaced by new fans
    3. In person attendance is not as appealing when you have so many options available not only to watch games on tv or online but also all of the other entertainment options available today
    4. Large numbers of WSU alumni and potential WSU fans have left Wichita for jobs in other cities

IMO, #2 and #4 are the biggest factors. Take a look around CKA and you can't help but notice that the average WSU men's basketball fan is getting a bit long in the tooth. As existing season ticket holders get too old to attend or are no longer alive, the pool of potential replacement buyers is just not there. Even if you have an interest in buying season tickets for the first time, you will spend a lot of cash for horrible seats and it will take years or decades to move to a better location. Most people are not going to deal with the hassle and expense and will just watch on tv and buy some great seats from Stubhub for one or two games instead.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    I actually don't believe it has a lot to do with "bandwagoners". I just think it's a tough sell, in today's world of quality broadcasting, to entice people to buy 2 tickets in row 34, where it can be miserably uncomfortable and perhaps have an obstructed view, for $86. I think generally folks that don't mind dropping a C note going to a game want, perhaps even expect, a much better seat.
    Actually, you’re right on the money.

You can’t decrease the price of individual tickets, as that screws the season ticket holders out of what they pay for their seats.

WSU is really stretching it with the pricing but the whole production value is still poor at best. The actual on the court product is obviously really high but some are there for the whole experience, and are paying a pretty penny for it. The AD never does anything to improve the fan experience or looks into changing how things are done but the price continues to go up. That’s a setup for disaster, and we’re starting to see that point now. I mean the pricing at concessions alone is just straight up greedy gouging at this point. But then again, some people still pay for the crap for some reason.

The athletic department may wanna start the process of taking less advantage of your most loyal supporters and perhaps start throwing some bones to them once in a while.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ShockerPhi
      ShockerPhi commented
      Editing a comment
      On the comment of in game production, I think it has definitely gone up. The DJ is pretty awesome and the student section (those that are ACTUALLY students) respond very well to it. But yes, some improvements still need to be made. Like replacing Don Hall. He seriously looks and sounds bored all the time. At least pay attention when facilitating the promo games!

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Actually, you’re right on the money.

You can’t decrease the price of individual tickets, as that screws the season ticket holders out of what they pay for their seats.

WSU is really stretching it with the pricing but the whole production value is still poor at best. The actual on the court product is obviously really high but some are there for the whole experience, and are paying a pretty penny for it. The AD never does anything to improve the fan experience or looks into changing how things are done but the price continues to go up. That’s a setup for disaster, and we’re starting to see that point now. I mean the pricing at concessions alone is just straight up greedy gouging at this point. But then again, some people still pay for the crap for some reason.

The athletic department may wanna start the process of taking less advantage of your most loyal supporters and perhaps start throwing some bones to them once in a while.
    Speaking of Production Value. Here is the production value that Houston's revamped arena is going to give ... We need to step our game up ...

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks GREAT! All 3,000 of their loyal fanbase are definitely in for a treat!

T

...:cool:

• Shocktoberfest
      Shocktoberfest commented
      Editing a comment
      Crappy camera angle. This is one instance where the nose bleed seats are ideal.

• TheShocktocles
      TheShocktocles commented
      Editing a comment
      That was terrible. But it still does not excuse the shocks recent poor results. There are some great WSU videos out there. For example the one where they show downtown and Orpheum Theatre, the history one with Ron Baker, the history of the old shockers and new era with Gregg Marshall, the video of 23-0 shockers super star. These are outstanding and inspire the fans. I am sorry but the one we got now does not measure up.

I know that college athletics "is what it is" in terms of being big business, but this is the danger of being so overtly biased towards those who pay big money. You have people like me who feel left out and then stop caring as much. Now, I get that I am small potatoes and that the world does not revolve around me, but those of you who might know my background would know that I am the LAST person who WSU can afford to have lose interest. I have not been to a game yet this season. I am not even able to go Saturday, but it doesn't kill me like it would have 5-10 years ago to miss a big game.

The current administration might not care and will think this will be a problem of a future administration, but the "Marshall Faithful" won't exist in 25-30 years. There won't be a core of 6-7k people going to games every night just because it is Shocker Basketball. God forbid, if this program ever returns to 1990s-level play, it is screwed.

I don't know what the answers are, but I know that the current path of college athletics overall is highly unsustainable, and the bubble will burst at some point in my lifetime.
    78-65

Comment

• SB Shock
      SB Shock commented
      Editing a comment
      You have a good point. All you have to do is look at baseball to see what can happen. Nobody in 1998 could have thought that attendance would drop to a few handful and the program would think a good year is just to get above 0.500.

The answer is that WSU must put a Top 25 program on the floor year after year and keep the fan base excited about it product.

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      Some valid comments and observations by both of you. Hopefully, someone in the athletic department will read this.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xV...rcSA/giphy.gif

The reason demand is slightly waning (only Wichita State can call 300 available tickets waning demand) is due to past success and current struggles. The economy is strong, our ticket prices are very high comparatively (some schools in our conference almost give tickets away. Sound familiar?). Losing to a D9 school right out of the gate is going to shake a few bandwagoners. This is an opportunity for new blood to experience Koch Arena. The only production Wichita State needs to worry about is the W-L column. Let's win this game and get on a roll.

T

Comment

One of the "absolutes" in life, you will never please everyone. Some will not be pleased with this post. You saw it here first.
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

I'd also point out that the availability of individual game tickets through the box office has been almost non existent the last few years with sellouts via season ticket holders. Any time I've looked to go the last few seasons, I've gone straight to the secondary market, as the ticket office only released seats a day or two a head of time if they had any available. I'm not sure how many people know there are individual seats this season through the box office.

Comment

In the current macro environment of ticket sale trends WSU is doing great. Watch random games from all over the country with both ranked and non ranked teams from big conferences and small and you will see all sorts of empty seats. 300 available is what it is ( and will fill up between now and game time anyway). The place is going to be rocking tomorrow night.

Comment

been a season ticket holder since 2005/06? and have eight tickets that i get for friends/family and i can tell the price increases are starting to take their toll with everyone in my group. i think the university has found price equilibruum.

mrs sharif and i pondered not renewing ours ( or selling them to hold our seats ) and watching on tv either at home or at the watering hole. for us, it’s not about the money but rather perceived value with game production, socializing, etc.. i agree with many on SN that tv has changed the dynamic and has given the public more options.

our tastes have changed a bit as well.. quite honestly we enjoy our sporting kansas matches just as much or more for less than half the price. btw, our athletic department could learn a few things from them in how we’re treated as investors in the program, game day production, and fan experience.

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
            abdullah_sharif commented
            Editing a comment
            i was on the saso board for six years shockm.. shared my concern the last few years i was serving. it was noted, but nothing really happened with it.

• proshox
            proshox commented
            Editing a comment
            The sporting experience is light years ahead of Koch.

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe they should read this thread. We, too, are beginning to waiver a little with other changes in our life. It has also started to bother me a little about the amount we spend in contribution and tickets and whether those funds might not be better contributed to other areas possibly more important. I love my Shocker basketball (and other sports), but it is entertainment combined with scholarships, although the IRS is now looking at it as just "entertainment". Pretty certain that if I was a "newbie", I would not pay what they want for the seats they'd let me have or the amount I'd have to pay to get the seats I'd accept.

The real issue is that season ticket holders are paying more than “market value” for the tickets. I have tracked stubhub for the past couple of years to determine if buying season game tickets was a better deal. I found I can get better seats for less money.

Some games are practically free and some games you pay up, but in total you come out ahead by foregoing the season tickets. This was true during Fred and Ron’s senior season. It will be more true this year.

I still buy buy season tickets (as a supporter), but it isn’t a rational decision.

Comment

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            The "rational" method would also save a person funds on games they cannot attend or use all their tickets, although one's friends may not like that approach.

It's bordering on the annoying to be at a WSU MBB game anymore, when the clock isn't actually running and players aren't on the floor. Everything else outside of that is total amateur hour and sucks the life out of you. The awful intro/hype vids, the constant stream of silly timeout promos, the cluster that is the integration of music, it's volume, and the band, and the general overall production quality are really not even MVC level. Enjoy watching Marshall and the boys do their thing, and that is the main point of being there, but otherwise the balance of the time I'm basically doing an internalized eye roll.

And not to sound too entitled or anything, but I've always been a little off-put by the fact there is no alumni pricing or points advantage in the season ticket process. No sh*ts given by the WSU athletic department if you're one of "us". Go look at other T50 MBB programs and look at the difference in this regard. Other schools care; bunch of nope from WSU. Butthurt, but whatevs.
          Last edited by SHOCKvalue; November 30, 2018, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Preach.

Comment

I guess I’m in the minority here, but speaking as one who has had season tickets for over 30 years, I would not be at all offended if the athletic department offered up any available tickets a day or two before the game at a significant discount. I would rather they sell the row 34 tickets for $10 than have the seats go empty. A good way to help build the fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                It's bordering on the annoying to be at a WSU MBB game anymore, when the clock isn't actually running and players aren't on the floor. Everything else outside of that is total amateur hour and sucks the life out of you. The awful intro/hype vids, the constant stream of silly timeout promos, the cluster that is the integration of music, it's volume, and the band, and the general overall production quality are really not even MVC level. Enjoy watching Marshall and the boys do their thing, and that is the main point of being there, but otherwise the balance of the time I'm basically doing an internalized eye roll.

And not to sound too entitled or anything, but I've always been a little off-put by the fact there is no alumni pricing or points advantage in the season ticket process. No sh*ts given by the WSU athletic department if you're one of "us". Go look at other T50 MBB programs and look at the difference in this regard. Other schools care; bunch of nope from WSU. Butthurt, but whatevs.
                Again, right on the money. No pun intended.

It really is a high major program with a low major production being run by a mix of the two, basically a mid major athletic department and athletic director. Sometimes I wonder what Boatright does and thinks during games. Probably just the never ending $$$$$$. It's kinda sad that they don't give a ****. They've set a bar, a really low bar, and the status quo is just fine as long as the pocketbooks continue to get lined. I wonder if the flatlining and fall of season ticket renewals maybe would maybe spark an interest to make the production more important to make people think they're worth the funding they're investing into going to games.

Schaus had the opposite thing going on. He was high major talent running a mid major program. Now, the roles are reversed. I could only imagine if Schaus was still here while we were really taking this program to the next level what he could have done. As it is, the athletic department is simply not proactive and taking things for granted. It will eventually bite them, but they don't care enough about the future. The present is all that's on their minds.

It'd be cool to have an MC or something (no I'm not talking the Hitman God forbid but some energetic college student or something) to run through timeouts, interview some fans, or whatever, upping the level of professionalism, and making things fresh, giving Don Hall a break from the mic so he can focus on more important things like imaginatively calling out a Shocker three... sponsored by Klein Construction and Flooring.

Nothing will change though. Except the ticket prices and SASO contributions.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Love the Shox and have been a loyal fan for almost 30 years. But I have to agree with you all on many points. We truly have been on cruise control for quite a few years, but the speed limit has been increased significantly. It's obvious.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Who's in charge of the athletic department?

T

Working...
                X