Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pictures. Thanks !

Comment

Here's my "workings of the universe" thought. The '13 final four team had the legendary visit from shocker legends that started "Play Angry" leading to a F4 and a run that began the Fred/Ron legends. "The Raves" appearance the day of this much needed win will be the catalyst that starts the next freshman's legacy. My prediction is that one of our newbies (or more) will announce their presence tonight through a huge, clutch game. Will it be Dex, JB, Mo, Stevenson?? IDK, but my tea leaves are saying it will be! A shocker legend will be on the court tonight. (Besides HCGM angry about a BS call that is). You heard it here first...lol...

Comment

Thank you so much for those photos. That was awesome.

Comment

I'm not sure if I've drafted this and posted it before, or just drafted it and never posted. Regardless, this is the right time to post it.

I started following the Shocks in the early 80s and had no connection to Stallworth beyond the 42 in the rafters at the many games I went to.

As a young man I worked for multiple companies and traveled a decent amount, and in the process of meeting new people my favorite common denominator was college basketball. Some knew a lot, some knew a little. But as long as they had a passion for a school and the game we had common ground.

Eventually, I ran across a guy in my own company at an executive training course. Old school Philly, and I mean old school. Couldn't even estimate the number of games he'd been to at the Palestra. We talked about Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble and Wilt and the Big East and everyone else I had seen or hadn't seen - my favorite topic was him describing a kid named Erving that played at UMass. He knew the game backwards and forwards and to this day is probably the most knowledgeable fan I've ever met across the entire breadth and depth of college ball over time.

When he asked me where I was from and why I liked college basketball so much, I said I was from Wichita Kansas, and that's all we cared about.

He asked if I was a Jayhawk fan and I laughed and said no, I grew up on Antoine Carr and Cliff Levingston - and my favorite player ever was Xavier McDaniel. He laughed and nodded and said he understood.

Then he asked if I had ever heard of a player named Dave Stallworth.

I said "The Rave? Only from stories and seeing his jersey in the rafters. And of the hundreds or thousands of people I've ever talked to about college basketball, you're the first person to ever bring up his name."

He smiled and said a couple things about how he'd seen Stallworth in the Palestra and the Garden and somewhere else, and then - seriously, I remember this exactly - he stared off into the distance for a few seconds, and then said:

"He might have been the greatest college player I ever saw. And I saw 'em all."

Glad that statue is up.
          Last edited by Good News; December 1, 2018, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Great story. Maybe overstating it a bit but The Rave was no doubt a great player and a very good and humble man.

• ShockerDropOut
            ShockerDropOut commented
            Editing a comment
            I would like this more than once if I could.

I was talking to my parents last night and asked if they had ever seen Dave Stallworth play. Both said yes, which surprised me a bit since my Mom is not much of a sports fan. She said that Dave was Michael Jordan before Michael Jordan. Who am I to ever argue with my Mom.

After watching the highlight of Dave Stallworth at halftime tonight my son said he looked like a player that was ahead of his time. The seems right to me as he had a skill set that practically no one possessed at the time he played.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that is a pretty accurate assessment.

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            If my understanding is right, Dave was only 6'2" as a senior in high school and then had a growth spurt. He had all the guard attributes and talents which he didn't lose after becoming 6'7".

For more pictures of the event: https://goshockers.com/galleries/?gallery=3139

Comment

The powers that be got this one right. Late... but right.

Comment

I know at times I’ve been critical of
              the athlete department and it’s leadership, however let’s give credit where credit is due. Yesterday was a very special day and they helped make it great! Two thumbs way up!!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

The following video was played at halftime last night when the 1965 Final Four team was announced...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• N Crestway
                  N Crestway commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Any tapes or pictures of the '65 Final Four introduction? If you've got them, I would love to see 'em.

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's really too bad there isn't more historical footage of Dave, especially during his days as a Shocker.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 2, 2018, 06:16 PM.

Thanks all for pics. Very nice. Extra nice.
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                X