Take your mind off Teddy - WSU - 66, KU - 65 - Full Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take your mind off Teddy - WSU - 66, KU - 65 - Full Game

First meeting between the two in 20+ years. Tight game all the way. Two really long jumpers by Mike Jones sealed the deal.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Love it

Comment

Feels like yesterday. Dang! Love it!

Comment

I can always remember this day. My Mom and Step-Dad were married just before tip off. It was a great day all around!
        Go Shocks!

Comment

Flopping Jayhawks.

Nice memory

Comment

Sportscasters in the Kansas City area were incensed after the game. It was also the beginning of the end for the first Smithson regime because the Kansas City Star was in the process of running stories about horrifying infractions at WSU. Of course most of the stories were made up. Nevertheless the national media ran with it.

Comment

Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
              Sportscasters in the Kansas City area were incensed after the game. It was also the beginning of the end for the first Smithson regime because the Kansas City Star was in the process of running stories about horrifying infractions at WSU. Of course most of the stories were made up. Nevertheless the national media ran with it.
              Would not register on the NCAA scale today when contrasted with the dirty duplicitous behavior of KU.

Comment

It seems like one of the infractions was a gift of a sports coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Would not register on the NCAA scale today when contrasted with the dirty duplicitous behavior of KU.
                  The stories being told would resonate. They were scathing. The facts were nothing special.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• N Crestway
                    N Crestway commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The WSU stories are a disturbing example of a media feeding frenzy. The initial stories were ridiculous but nevertheless the national media aired them.

That was a dirty time in basketball. Cheating was widespread. Money changed hands all the time. Kids were given cash at almost every event. KU cheated their asses off. So did WSU. The NCAA was simply under the thumb of KU at the time, even more than they are now. Punish WSU.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The day I got the entire back-story on K|UCK-City's predatory behavior towards WSU was the last day I ever watched their games or rooted for them. This happened sometime in the late 90's. The last ChicKUn player I rooted for was Raef LaFrentz (man that boy was good...)

I believe Aargh, you, and others were the primary historians on the subject that turned me against them. Ya'll are to blame for my insufferable attitude. Christmas with the extended family (full of ChicKUn-lovers) has never been the same whenever the topic is broached).

I believe one of the authoritative sources on WSU's history of being held down by their in-state brothers is a book called, "In Cloistered Halls"(???). But to get the real dirty **** you've got to speak to an insider from the early 80's.

T

...:cool:

If anyone wants to relive our last game with KU, it's also on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Just wanted to add that the tournament loss also led to the eventual end of Ted Owens time at KU. This was his last good team.

Comment

• another shocker
                      another shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      i just wanted to add that wichita state should have won by 20 pts. tony martin was gimped up. karl papke (may me rip) had to man some point

• flatlander
                      flatlander commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was there ... with CALFAN ... (loss for words) WOW

Tony Martin sat behind me one game in Charleston. He lives there and works for Boeing. A little time worn but still looks to be in damn good shape. That guy could run the ass end off of a cheetah.

Comment

Working...
                    X