Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kansas' Bill Self calls out NCAA hypocrites for silence on .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas' Bill Self calls out NCAA hypocrites for silence on .

Kansas' Bill Self calls out NCAA hypocrites for silence on realignment

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...#ixzz1XpeO4EUJ

"It's hypocritical to think that APR (Academic Progress Report) is so important," Self told KCSP. "They're going to start pulling teams out of postseason competition if their APRs aren't certain rates. And there's a direct correlation between making good grades and going to class. And now they’re putting kids in a position where they’re going to miss more class than what they’re already required to miss.
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Clap for em.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

So who's responsibility is this realignment problem? The NCAA's? I hope not. Do we want them telling WSU they can't go to a different conference?

Money, greed, and power are the problems and it starts with the university it self. In the Big XII, Texas is a problem, but it was also the old Big 8 schools who let them in the door and agreed to start bending over for them. Why? Money. They felt they could generate more, more, more with Texas than without. Now it may be the time to pay the piper.

Who should be responsibile for the student athlete's educational welfare? The university. It is the NCAA's job as an overseer to penalize those (by loss of revenue) who do not. Each university needs to make there own decision in balancing athletics with the their real purpose, education. It's not the NCAA's fault that there may be no BCS conference in this country's heartland.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
        So who's responsibility is this realignment problem? The NCAA's? I hope not. Do we want them telling WSU they can't go to a different conference?

Money, greed, and power are the problems and it starts with the university it self. In the Big XII, Texas is a problem, but it was also the old Big 8 schools who let them in the door and agreed to start bending over for them. Why? Money. They felt they could generate more, more, more with Texas than without. Now it may be the time to pay the piper.

Who should be responsibile for the student athlete's educational welfare? The university. It is the NCAA's job as an overseer to penalize those (by loss of revenue) who do not. Each university needs to make there own decision in balancing athletics with the their real purpose, education. It's not the NCAA's fault that there may be no BCS conference in this country's heartland.
        Bingo. I like Self, but this is on the Universities involved. If they choose to be part of a conference that is all over the place geographically than they'll just have to work harder (or pay more) to keep the kids grades in order. Maybe some of this will trickle down and hurt the recruiting of some of these schools as it becomes obvious that the work load to stay eligible is so much more difficult. Or maybe it won't have any effect at all. But I have no idea what Self expects the NCAA to do.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

While the NCAA does plenty of hypocritical things, I don't see how this is one of them.

The NCAA is not pushing for conference realignment, nor do they have much authority to prevent such realignment. The fact that the added travel time of these new conferences is detrimental to APR is not the result of the NCAA pursuing opposing ends, but the schools pursuing ends that are opposed to the goals of the NCAA's APR rules.

The idea that school administrators are being hypocritical is more plausible if they simultaneously espouse the importance of educating their student athletes while approaching conference affiliation in such a way that it hurts their athletes' chances of succeeding in the classroom.

If anything, the NCAA's APR rules are a check upon the excesses of the mega-conference. To the degree that these conferences sacrifice student achievement for monetary gain, the APR rules provide a punishment mechanism, which is about all the NCAA can do to discourage academically detrimental conference decisions.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
            If anything, the NCAA's APR rules are a check upon the excesses of the mega-conference. To the degree that these conferences sacrifice student achievement for monetary gain, the APR rules provide a punishment mechanism, which is about all the NCAA can do to discourage academically detrimental conference decisions.
            And if the NCAA pushes too hard the BCS schools will simply push back or they might even take their ball and go home and form a separate affiliation or simply kick open the door and let their members do any damn thing they please thereby eliminating any pretense of the concept of a student-athlete.

Comment

This might be the time for OSU to give Self another call about the basketball head coaching job...

Comment

While the NCAA does plenty of hypocritical things, I don't see how this is one of them.

The NCAA is not pushing for conference realignment, nor do they have much authority to prevent such realignment. The fact that the added travel time of these new conferences is detrimental to APR is not the result of the NCAA pursuing opposing ends, but the schools pursuing ends that are opposed to the goals of the NCAA's APR rules.

The idea that school administrators are being hypocritical is more plausible if they simultaneously espouse the importance of educating their student athletes while approaching conference affiliation in such a way that it hurts their athletes' chances of succeeding in the classroom.

Not having the power to do something is one thing, choosing to remain silent on the issue is another.
                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk

Good take.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl

Not having the power to do something is one thing, choosing to remain silent on the issue is another.
                    And what would you have the NCAA do?

It's not like conference realignment in an inherent moral evil that must be condemned. It is an action that is the right of the schools involved and has certain advantages and disadvantages. To that end, the NCAA APR rules exist to punish schools that choose to ignore the academic impact of these kinds of decision instead of finding ways to make sure their athletes are succeeding in the classroom.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Perhaps Bill is just upset because he didn't have a good answer to Perry about the possibly of having to make many trips to the East Coast.
                      In the fast lane

Comment

I can't imagine that anyone from the Big 12 - the original "superconference" - is complaining about this realignment issue. There's a legitimate argument to be made that the Big 12 started it all.

Comment

ESPN is the root of all evil.

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox
                            Perhaps Bill is just upset because he didn't have a good answer to Perry about the possibly of having to make many trips to the East Coast.
                            You may be more right than you know.

If I were Kentucky, I would be asking all kinds of leading questions about the stability of the Big XII and what KU's future looks like 4 years down the road.

More reasons to play for WSU!
                            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                              Originally posted by tropicalshox
                              You may be more right than you know.

If I were Kentucky, I would be asking all kinds of leading questions about the stability of the Big XII and what KU's future looks like 4 years down the road.

More reasons to play for WSU!
                              I was only half joking. I think Perry might be concerned about this since he doesn't like missing class. It jumped out at me that having charter flights was discussed in their in-home with KU.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                              X