No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Alabama Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'shockers are rebuilding, not reloading. just like marshall first year or two in the mvc (they finished 6th his first year).

Comment

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      You serious Clark?

4-14 (9th place) and lots of Ts.

• another shocker
      another shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      hell yes, wu. they are ****ed.. for now. the trajectory is going to be the same. aac is screwed, shocker style.. starting in about two years.

• 2015/2016 we started 2-4. Fred and Anton were injured but things got turned around. This team is 2-3 with no Ron and Fred to lead. However, I just can't help but think that the potential improvement with this team is far greater than there was with the veteran team of 15/16. Add #freeteddy as a bonus. I wouldn't write off this team's March chances just yet.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• First game I've watched in...... damn near forever..... that at the end of a lose that i felt as proud of our guys as i did today. Played with heart and you could see the guys were starting to get it. Buy into the system. The future is very very bright folks! The way i see it, we win the AAC Tournament, we'll be dancing.

And for those who keep saying that TA needs to red shirt, please remember Teddy needs the team as much as the team needs Teddy.

Comment

• I hope next 3 weeks we can work on a legit rotation... But that might be a bit of a stretch... Work on roles and point guard situation... And Marshall instills in them the importance of making winning plays and closing games out that utilizes the "Play Angry" mantra. Hopefully this Teddy Allen ordeal is resolved soon. This team is on a great projection... It's a long season... At large still very much possible... Winning AAC tournament is always possible... Just need to get it together

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
          Any team that shoots 31/33 from the FT line is going to 99 times out of 100.
          Exactly, ST -- If Bama isn't out of its mind at the foul line (they came in below 70%), WSU probably wins. As it is, those were two pretty evenly matched teams, which is not a bad thing to say about the Shocks. Considering WSU's expected improvement as the kids mature, and the possibility of Teddy being freed, there's far more reason for optimism than pessimism this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

Exactly, ST -- If Bama isn't out of its mind at the foul line (they came in below 70%), WSU probably wins. As it is, those were two pretty evenly matched teams, which is not a bad thing to say about the Shocks. Considering WSU's expected improvement as the kids mature, and the possibility of Teddy being freed, there's far more reason for optimism than pessimism this season.
            Not probably wins, but wins (statistically anyway). For their previous 4 games, they shot .653 FT, .441 FG, and .308 3pt. This game: .939 FT, .510 FG, and .474 3 pt.

As I posted earlier:

Had Alabama shot their average on FT, but the same on FG/3pt, we win by 5.

Had Alabama shot their average on FG, but the same on FT/3pt, we win by 2.

Had Alabama shot their average on 3pt, but the same on FG/Ft, we win by 5.

Those previous 4 games: They beat Southern, App St, and Ball St, lost to Northeastern. I feel pretty confident we'd beat all 4 of those teams. As it is, it took Alabama shooting out of their minds to beat us by 4. Having Janssen as their 6th man didn't hurt them either.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Not probably wins, but wins (statistically anyway). For their previous 4 games, they shot .653 FT, .441 FG, and .308 3pt. This game: .939 FT, .510 FG, and .474 3 pt.

As I posted earlier:

Had Alabama shot their average on FT, but the same on FG/3pt, we win by 5.

Had Alabama shot their average on FG, but the same on FT/3pt, we win by 2.

Had Alabama shot their average on 3pt, but the same on FG/Ft, we win by 5.

Those previous 4 games: They beat Southern, App St, and Ball St, lost to Northeastern. I feel pretty confident we'd beat all 4 of those teams. As it is, it took Alabama shooting out of their minds to beat us by 4. Having Janssen as their 6th man didn't hurt them either.
              Providence could present the same argument about MM. If he only scored his career average, we would've won by 15. Or, we would've beat AL had we shot our season average in 3 pointers. 26% for the game versus 35% for the season. You are what your record says you are said a famous WSU grad. That said, our young team has been competitive for the most part and I actually think we're ahead of the learning curve.

Comment

• All said and done I turned off the game yesterday feeling pretty good about the Shocks' performance. I felt like Dex, Markis, and Echenique really showed some promise. I'm still concerned with SHJ and his propensity to turn the ball over and take terrible shots...gotta find a point. Pretty sure that needs to be Burton at this point. I really hope Torres gets his feet under him soon because I've been underwhelmed on that front. There is cause for optimism, maybe even for this season. The future is definitely bright, especially after next year's class joins the ranks...not to mention once Teddy hits the court.

Comment

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did you watch yesterday’s game? SHJ played less point than other games and only took 5 shots. I think he was maybe 3 out of 5 but that may be incorrect.

• Really proud of our guys. They gave it their all and the improvement game-by-game is exciting.

We still have a long, long way to go, against some hopefully much stronger competition than we came up against in this tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                  Damn. Marshall not holding back in the postgame interview.
                  Can someone summarize? I can't seem to find the audio.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Can someone summarize? I can't seem to find the audio.
                    Probably still barking about that 5 second call. Hahahah That was bad, and he was furious.
                    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• WstateU
                      WstateU commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That was the worst 5 second call in the history of 5 second calls... not sure it was even a full 3 seconds.

https://media.giphy.com/media/QBNrfOFxHv10A/giphy.gif

• Kung Wu
                      Kung Wu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Probably tries to convince his wife he lasts 5 minutes when doing the nasty too.

• Shocker Mama
                      Shocker Mama commented
                      Editing a comment
                      He did mention that.

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post

Providence could present the same argument about MM. If he only scored his career average, we would've won by 15. Or, we would've beat AL had we shot our season average in 3 pointers. 26% for the game versus 35% for the season. You are what your record says you are said a famous WSU grad. That said, our young team has been competitive for the most part and I actually think we're ahead of the learning curve.
                    Wow. Have second degree from Alabama or just a huge (bandwagon) fan of their football team?

I think you missed the intent.
                    1) Alabama had previously played 4 very pedestrian teams, even losing to one. They were teams an experienced P5 school like Alabama would normally pad their stats against or, at worst, normally be very close to their average after a sampling of 4 games (not just one).
                    2) Alabama excelled in not just one area of shooting, but all 3. One being a stat an opponent cannot defend against, free throws.
                    3) This wasn't a case of one or two players getting hot. Six of their players had a positive impact on those stats and no player had more than a small negative impact. This was not a Kemba Walker effect, or, in your example, an MM effect. In fact, for a player with MM's stats over his last 4 games, it would not be unusual to have a "Providence" game in that mix.
                    4) My comments were a "hats off" to the generally very young Shockers for gritty play to allow they to stay with a team....(wait for it)…..shooting out of their minds. Alabama had only 1 steal for the game (or a generally inexperienced Shocker team only gave up 1 steal), got more offensive rebounds, reduced their overall TOs, and shot well themselves form 2 (.590) and the line (.815). Those last 2 achievements much less common than doing all 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Probably still barking about that 5 second call. Hahahah That was bad, and he was furious.
                    Did anyone else notice Marshall after that call? I'm pretty sure him and Avery were making fun of the refs and you just see Marshall waiving his arm up and down really fast mimicking a super fast 5 count.

4 minute Mark in the second half. I went to look and see if you could count it but the camera only shows about 1 second of him having the ball
                    Last edited by Stickboy46; November 19, 2018, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• That call did change the momentum of the game, actually.
                      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• I'm looking forward to the Shocks solving some of their shooting woes in the form of getting "easier" shots i.e., working the O like a well-oiled machine.

We're all used to seeing execution on the offensive end of the court as well as the defensive end. It'll probably happen sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                        X