Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 - 2019 RATINGS & RANKINGS

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    At least as far as Warren Nolan is concerned, the Shocks are doing something right. A couple of games ago he was showing their RPI at 65th but had then projected to go 6-12 in league play, 13-17 overall, and finish with an RPI rank of 184th. Now their current RPI rank has dropped to 81st but his projected final RPI ranking is 132nd, up over 50 spots, and he's showing WSU finishing at 8-10 in the league and 15-15 overall.

    We'll see how it goes, but this team is starting to figure things out a bit more. So with Torres rounding into form more all the time, and Echenique doing a better job of asserting himself, I expect them to beat Nolan's current projections all the way around: RPI, league record, and overall.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      At least as far as Warren Nolan is concerned, the Shocks are doing something right. A couple of games ago he was showing their RPI at 65th but had then projected to go 6-12 in league play, 13-17 overall, and finish with an RPI rank of 184th. Now their current RPI rank has dropped to 81st but his projected final RPI ranking is 132nd, up over 50 spots, and he's showing WSU finishing at 8-10 in the league and 15-15 overall.
      As KenPom said on his podcast the other day - "why would even be looking at RPI. It dead".

      WSU NET is 132

      If they want to improve that, they need to win on the road. NCAA thinks WSU record is 4.5-4.

      Comment


      • WSUwatcher
        WSUwatcher commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting that KenPom has the Shocks ranked higher than the NCAA does -- what else is new?

        Road wins will obviously be key, though, you're right; and that will also be a great test for the development of this team. No one has been better on the road in recent years than WSU, but how much of that legacy will this group be able to carry on?

      • FadedCrown
        FadedCrown commented
        Editing a comment
        WSUwatcher KenPom is still using last year and preseason data, that is why. NET is brand new and only using real game results from this season.

    • #18
      Winning on the road is key, and these next two games are great chances for that.

      Comment


      • #19
        12/22/2018

        Overall
        Rank
        NonCon
        SOS Rank
        Season
        SOS Rank
        NCAA NET Rankings 124
        Live-RPI *
        Kenpom 110 119 125
        Haslametrics 126 91 91
        Realtime RPI TPR 61 49 49
        Warren Nolan ELO 72 38 41
        KPI Sports 79 108 108
        ESPN BPI 128 117 117
        Massey Ratings 85 56 56
        Sagarin Ratings 109 130 130
        Team Rankings 101 74 82
        Donchess Ratings 111 43 43
        LRMC Rankings *
        Barttorvik Rankings 95 52 59

        * Have Not Started Posting 2018-19 Numbers.
        "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

        Comment


        • #20
          http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/sos


          Current Strength of Schedule as of 02/01/19

          Wichita State 0.6039 9
          Temple 0.5775 31
          Tulsa 0.5661 41
          Memphis 0.5652 43
          Houston 0.5541 60
          Cincinnati 0.5345 87
          Connecticut 0.5332 90
          UCF 0.5302 93
          Tulane 0.5189 111
          SMU 0.4938 177
          South Florida 0.4896 184
          East Carolina 0.4785 211

          Comment


          • #21
            Feb 3rd Team Sheet.

            SOS 8
            ALL Away games have been Q1 so far
            1-8 in Q1 (Baylor win is Q1 now)
            2-2 in Q2

            4 Q4 games remaining for this team.

            Comment


            • #22
              Resume Prediction:

              Record: 17-13 (10-8)

              Wins: vs. Tulane (Q4), @ Tulsa (Q2), vs. Memphis (Q2), vs. Connecticut (Q3), vs. ECU (Q4), @ Tulane (Q4)

              Losses: @ Cincinnati (Q1), @ SMU (Q2)

              Q1: 0-8
              Q2: 5-4
              Q3: 5-1
              Q4: 6-0

              Comment


              • Stickboy46
                Stickboy46 commented
                Editing a comment
                Baylor and UCF could both end up Q1 wins

              • FadedCrown
                FadedCrown commented
                Editing a comment
                Stickboy46 I am aware, I was just using current NET ranks for this.

            • #23
              Totally unscientific way for me to look at our overall schedule, but hypothetically, being front loaded with tough games could have been the best thing for this young team. What if the schedule had been reversed? It is certainly conceivable that early in the year the Shox would stumble against even the worst teams in league, getting better along the way, but not good enough to overcome the tough schedule that awaited them at the end.

              If this plays out as above, man, what a nice year for a bunch of newbies. @Tulsa would be the one game on there that I would probably count as an L. But who knows. The trend is definitely up.

              Comment


              • FadedCrown
                FadedCrown commented
                Editing a comment
                My theory for that was this. Home court advantage in CBB is about 4 points.

                Beat SMU at home by 2.
                Beat Tulsa at home by 11.

                Lose to SMU by 6.
                Win against Tulsa by 3.

            • #24
              Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
              Resume Prediction:

              Record: 17-13 (10-8)

              Wins: vs. Tulane (Q4), @ Tulsa (Q2), vs. Memphis (Q2), vs. Connecticut (Q3), vs. ECU (Q4), @ Tulane (Q4)

              Losses: @ Cincinnati (Q1), @ SMU (Q2)

              Q1: 0-8
              Q2: 5-4
              Q3: 5-1
              Q4: 6-0
              Let's go extremely hypothetical here.

              Record 18-12 (11-7)

              Wins vs Tulane, @Tulsa, @SMU, Memphis, UCONN, ECU, @Tulane

              Loss: @Cincinnati

              Baylor and UCF make it to <30 (currently 32 and 42) and UCONN goes <75 (currently 78)

              Q1: 2-9
              Q2: 5-3
              Q3: 4-1
              Q4: 7-0

              I think that gets bubble conversation. Don't think that will happen, but sure is nice to be able to have that thought at this point in a down year (Thank you AAC)

              Comment


              • Woodrow
                Woodrow commented
                Editing a comment
                Also, could win a couple of games in AAC tourney and lose in Championship game. 20-12

              • FadedCrown
                FadedCrown commented
                Editing a comment
                Woodrow So you are saying if we go 20-12 you believe we are among the Top 36 in the country?

              • Woodrow
                Woodrow commented
                Editing a comment
                It's possible. Too many unknowns such as which 2 teams we beat in the AAC tourney and what other teams we are in competition with in the top 36 at that time.

            • #25
              I know there is a lot of season left and every game is still an adventure but let’s just say the best case scenario plays out, how realistic is an NIT bid? I’d put NIT thoughts to bed a while ago and was more realistically hoping for a CIT, or CBI but now we’ve got Sports Daily talking about a possible NIT bid if things break right.

              I think any kind of post season would be a positive for this team. Outside of winning the American tourney, playing in the NIT seems like a dream scenario.

              Comment


              • #26
                How is WSU going to do in their final 8 games? They are projected 3-5. That will not be good enough for NIT. Those 3 wins are Tulane x2, and Ecu.

                Can they beat Cincy? Probably not
                Can they beat Tulsa? Yes
                can they beat Memphis at home? Yes
                can they beat UConn at home? Yes
                can they beat SMU on the road? Maybe, but tough

                I would say they need to go 6-2 or 7-1 to get into the conversation and not be out in 1 in the AAC tournament.

                Comment


                • #27
                  Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                  I know there is a lot of season left and every game is still an adventure but let’s just say the best case scenario plays out, how realistic is an NIT bid? I’d put NIT thoughts to bed a while ago and was more realistically hoping for a CIT, or CBI but now we’ve got Sports Daily talking about a possible NIT bid if things break right.

                  I think any kind of post season would be a positive for this team. Outside of winning the American tourney, playing in the NIT seems like a dream scenario.
                  Any post season would at least give these youngsters additional practice sessions and a game or hopefully more. Every minute of experience is valuable.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

                  A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

                  Comment


                  • #28
                    http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/net

                    Last night's win against ECU had no impact on our NET Ranking, it stayed at #90. ECU lost one position from #253 to #254.

                    Comment


                    • #29
                      Comparing quadrant games in the AAC vs MVC

                      American (play all teams twice):
                      Q1: 8 (33%)
                      Q2: 7 (29%)
                      Q3: 5 (21%)
                      Q4: 4 (17%)

                      MVC (play all teams twice):
                      Q1: 0 (0%)
                      Q2: 2 (10%)
                      Q3: 11 (55%)
                      Q4: 7 (35%)

                      Yeah, lol.

                      Comment


                      • #30
                        Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
                        Comparing quadrant games in the AAC vs MVC

                        American (play all teams twice):
                        Q1: 8 (33%)
                        Q2: 7 (29%)
                        Q3: 5 (21%)
                        Q4: 4 (17%)

                        MVC (play all teams twice):
                        Q1: 0 (0%)
                        Q2: 2 (10%)
                        Q3: 11 (55%)
                        Q4: 7 (35%)

                        Yeah, lol.
                        I'll add in one more.

                        Neutral Quadrants (for Conference Tourney Purposes)
                        AAC
                        Q1: 4 (33%)
                        Q2: 5 (42%)
                        Q3: 1 (8%)
                        Q4: 2 (16%)


                        MVC
                        Q1: 0 (0%)
                        Q2: 0 (0%)
                        Q3: 9 (90%)
                        Q4: 1 (10%)

                        75% Q1 or Q2 games vs 0%

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X