The new hook-and-hold flagrant 1 rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new hook-and-hold flagrant 1 rule

After seeing this video from the NCAA, I think the rule is probably a good one.

You could see more people ejected for flagrant 2 with that guidance.

Comment

• shock
      shock commented
      Editing a comment
      If there is any question, just kick em in the face. Thats just a rebound.

Seems you could hook from the top with only slightly more difficulty than hooking from below. Puts officials in a position of making a judgement, likely a judgement that that the player with his arm on the bottom is guilty. Flagrant 1 seems excessive in such a subjective situation.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

This is NOT what we saw in the WSU game though. I understand the intent of the rule, but they still need to work out the kinks.
      The Assman

Comment

It won't be called consistently so I already don't like it.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• shock
          shock commented
          Editing a comment
          Flagrant 2 will be abused

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        It won't be called consistently so I already don't like it.
        ^^^^ this

you could call that on any play anytime you want. i hate it.

Comment

I am siding with RoyalShock on this one -- if you are clearly hooking a guys arm, that should be a flagrant 1. It's more dangerous than the general foul, it's an off ball foul, and it's potentially incendiary.
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

The taller player will always be on top in a hooking sequence as this. Who hooks who is a problem. Both players are just looking for block out rebounding leverage. The foul with Dexter wasn’t a dangerous play. There will be problems with this new rule.
            Last edited by Shockm; November 13, 2018, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Two players get their arms hooked. Which way is the foul called?

One player will be moved away from a favorable position. That player will always be seen as the victim. The player gaining a positional advantage will always be the one called for the hook.

It's pretty straight forward and an easy foul to call. You call the flagrant foul on the stronger player. They're both trying to gain an advantage. The stronger player will gain the advantage and be called for the infraction. The rule rewards players who unsuccessfully try to gain an advantage.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

One player will be moved away from a favorable position. That player will always be seen as the victim. The player gaining a positional advantage will always be the one called for the hook.

It's pretty straight forward and an easy foul to call. You call the flagrant foul on the stronger player. They're both trying to gain an advantage. The stronger player will gain the advantage and be called for the infraction. The rule rewards players who unsuccessfully try to gain an advantage.
                This happened in the Yale vs. Cal game the other night during a free throw attempt. They called flagrant fouls on both players.

Comment

The second example of hook and hold is weak. That was just the player holding the other player and it was not very deceptive. The first example is one that I would like to see reviewed and called more often. When a player hooks another player and clamps down to make it look like the other player is fouling needs to be caught and called more often It seems like Jamar Howard did this sometimes and I didn't like it any more then.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Dexter did not appear to have an advantage. I’ll watch it again just to see for sure. Both players had their elbows out. Dexter did it last because he was behind. If Providence had hit the free throws, it totally changes the game.

Comment

I guess there was an example of this in the Women's game vs UAPB. The foul was called on Shocker 5-8 point guard Seraphine Bastin as she was being guarded by a Kye Richardson of UAPB who is 5-3. This was called a foul but after review not a flagrant foul. Kind of a questionalbe call and perhaps caused as much by the height differential of the palyers as anything.

This occurred just past the 8:20 mark of the 3rd quarter at about the 1:04.44 mark on the video replay:

https://www.yurview.com/arkansas-pin...etball-11-7-18

Not sure why it took 3 minutes to figure out this wasn't flagrant.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 13, 2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                        ShockTalk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wow. That was not an example of hooking even if that was being discuss. Inadvertent contact at best. SB was simply trying to keep the ball away from second defender and the "fouled" defender was trailing as SB was going to the bucket. Yes, without the height difference, there would have been nothing to call.

• 1972Shocker
                        1972Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        ShockTalk I agree with that assessment. Should have taken about 15 seconds to determine nothing flagrant about that.

According to the video and commentary, we are going to see a lot of flagrant 2 fouls called on layups this year. That does not make the game better.

I also do not see why the hook and hold is a flagrant foul and not just a common foul. There are far more harmful plays than that.
                      The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Lord View Post
                        I also do not see why the hook and hold is a flagrant foul and not just a common foul. There are far more harmful plays than that.
                        This^

Comment

Working...
                        X