WSU at Providence Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU at Providence Pre-Game Discussion

Providence Roster (2 seniiors, 4 juniors, 3 sophomords and 4 freshman)

Providence was picked to finish 3rd in the Big East coaches' poll (behind Villanova and Marquette) as the Friars are coming off a season in which they made their fifth straight trip to the NCAA Tournament, a school record.

Despite losing the talented trio of Rodney Bullock, Kyron Cartwright and Jalen Lindsey, Coach Ed Cooley is upbeat about his team’s chances.

We’re versatile, we’re enthusiastic and this group has been fun,” Cooley said. “I don’t know how good we are but they’re fun to be around. I think people are going to enjoy watching us play.”

Junior Alpha Diallo will be looked at to lead the Friars this season after averaging 13.2 points and 6.5 rebounds last season.

Providence did take a 10 day, 4-game trip to Italy this summer.

Providence beat Sienna in its home and season opener last night 77-67.

6-6 Freshaman guard A.J. Reeves broke the scoring record for a Friar freshman on opening day with 29 points on a 10-13 shooting performance which included 7-9 three pointers.

Junior Alpha Diallo (New York, N.Y.) finished with a double-double (16 points, 11 rebounds).

Providence shot 54.7% from the field including an eye-popping 13.-25 from behind the arc. Hardly any fouls in this game (25) compared to the Shocks-La Tech game (52). Providence hit 6-7 from the line. Providence outrebound Sienna 31-23.

Providence - Sienna Box Score

This one is going to be a major challenge for the Shocks.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 7, 2018, 02:46 PM.

We lose by 20

Comment

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      What are you smoking?

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Providence Roster (2 seniiors, 4 juniors, 3 sophomords and 4 freshman)

Providence was picked to finish 3rd in the Big East coaches' poll as the Friars are coming off a season in which they made their fifth straight trip to the NCAA Tournament, a school record.

Despite losing the talented trio of Rodney Bullock, Kyron Cartwright and Jalen Lindsey, Coach Ed Cooley is upbeat about his team’s chances.

We’re versatile, we’re enthusiastic and this group has been fun,” Cooley said. “I don’t know how good we are but they’re fun to be around. I think people are going to enjoy watching us play.”

Junior Alpha Diallo will be looked at to lead the Friars this season after averaging 13.2 points and 6.5 rebounds last season.

Providence did take a 10 day, 4-game trip to Italy this summer.

Providence beat Sienna in its home and season opener last night 77-67.

A.J. Reeves (Roxbury, Mass.) broke the scoring record for a Friar freshman on opening day with 29 points on a 10-13 shooting performance.

Junior Alpha Diallo (New York, N.Y.) finished with a double-double (16 points, 11 rebounds).

Providence shot 54.7% from the field including an eye-popping 13.-25 from behind the arc. Hardly any fouls in this game (25) compared to the Shocks-La Tech game (52). Providence hit 6-7 from the line. Providence outrebound Sienna 31-23.

Providence - Sienna Box Score

Bolded part is interesting... both LA Tech and Providence took their summer tours this summer. That's a once ever 4 year thing but does give them additional practices and game time.

Comment

Providence Roster (2 seniiors, 4 juniors, 3 sophomores and 4 freshman)

The major challenge will be to keep the score reasonably close.

Comment

Markis has a great opportunity to turn the direction of his season around by asking for the responsibility of guarding Reeves and shutting him down. If he does that and hits the boards we don't need much, if any scoring, from him.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 7, 2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

They have some huge guards. Seem to be lacking down low. They play a lot of youth also. This may not be a terrible match up for us. Lol not saying we win, but could be closer than some think.

Comment

My hope is to keep it single digits. Gonna be tough.

Comment

Gut tells me we lose by 10.

Comment

Markis has a great opportunity to turn the direction of his season around by asking for the responsibility of guarding Reeves and shutting him down. If he does that and hits the boards we don't need much, if any scoring, from him.
                It doesn't look to me like MM has the physical agility (maybe that is not the correct word) since his injury to be able to contain with lateral movement on defense as he did in Freshman and sophomore years. He was an outstanding defender then, very lackluster now. It doesn't appear to be "want-to" or attitude, so is it a physical limitation?
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Hopefully their coach has a good relationship with HCGM and decides not to boat race us.

Comment

I think we lose a heartbreaker where it comes down to fouling at the end to preserve clock but it'll be an experience this team can build on, and the staff will continue narrow in on who they can depend on the most to do the things they ask. I expect to see more Burton, Stevenson, Dennis & Echenique. Not starting our seniors might be the tough love they need to get their senior season turned around from a shaky start.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                      They have some huge guards. Seem to be lacking down low. They play a lot of youth also. This may not be a terrible match up for us. Lol not saying we win, but could be closer than some think.
                      Maybe. Against Sienna 4 Friars scored 71 of the team's 77 points. AJ Reeves, a 6-6, 210 Fr. guard, had 29, Alpha Diallo, a 6-7, 213 Jr. guard, had 16 (plus 11 rebounds), Isaiah Jackson,a 6-6, 225 R-Sr guard, had 16 points and Nate Watson, a 6-10, 250 So. post, added 10 points. These 4 guys comined to shoot 27-38 (71.1%) from the field including 13-19 (68.4%) on 3-pointers.

It doesn't look like a diffiicult scout in terms of who to focus on but how to stop them maybe a challenge.

We maybe able ot match of with the guards reasonalby well with Markis, Jamarius, and Dexter and maybe even Chance. I think Erik can probalby hold his own at least on defense. This could be a real challenging match up for Samajae and Ricky. Not sure if Rod Brown could guard any of these guys or not.

Nate Watson, the big center, didn't start against Sienna but he played 24 minutes makin all 5 of his shots. The Shocks will probably need to use all of their bigs on him to try and wear him down. He didn't go to the line against Sienna but he was a 70% free throw shooter last year as a freshman so a Hack-A-Nate strategy might not work very well.

If the Friars have anywhere near the same shooting night against the Shockers that they had against Sienna then I don't see how the Shocks would have much of a prayer in this game.

Comment

Definitely gonna take more than 58 points. Need more Eric, Burton, Dexter, Jamie. Like to see Poor Bear get some more time as well!!!

Go Shocks!!!
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Pizza Hut - 71
                          Dunkin' Donuts - 69

Go Shockers!!!
                          :poster_wu::poster_wsu:

Comment