Samajae-A different perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samajae-A different perspective

Before we start shredding the kid too much, let's make sure we keep his poor play on the court Samajae apart from Samajae the young man.

This kid has been through more than any ten of us combined. No father in his life, lost his mother to cancer when he was in high school, had nowhere to live so his coach took him in.

His lack of adult involvement (Mom was always working and then became sick) in his life created a loss of focus on everything but basketball to the point where he struggled badly in the classroom until his senior year in which he at least made good enough grades to graduate and play at Hutch. Because of his lack of foundation in academics, school will always be a challenge for him.

Finally, he was brought here to really be a two guard with the ability to fill in at the point for short duration's. Once Coach told me they expected him to bring instant energy and some offense off the bench. Now, two years later, he is expected to fill a role that he was really not recruited for and the perfect storm of unfortunate events (Shamet going pro, AR transferring, Lomax bailing) has caused him to be there. He could have bailed, quit school as he probably is not fond of it, or transferred to a small school and left the team and the fan base in a bigger mess in the off season

Samajae is 80% there to becoming a great success story, one where basketball has led him out of the darkness of a miserable life into one of hope and being a productive citizen making a difference in the community. I hope it is basketball that helps him get the other 20% to that future and not the discouragement of this season that prevents it.

So yes Samajae was not good last night. But let us never confuse the difference between Samajae the player and Samajae the person.
    Last edited by shoxlax; November 7, 2018, 10:56 AM.

It's clear we are all talking about his play... It's business... Not personal.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
      It's clear we are all talking about his play... It's business... Not personal.
      But it can quickly devolve into personal unless perspective is refreshed. Yes, this board included.

I am in agreement we need to focus on freshman minutes and while I'm not ready to give up on those two as contributors, I am wondering if it ought to be off the bench as many of you are. Check back at the end of the Charleston Tournament and I will have a bit more evidence to understand the dynamics of the team, as I will be there live, watching first hand.
      Last edited by shoxlax; November 7, 2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I've stopped criticizing SHJ. HCGM and staff recruited and signed him, it's their fault for missing the mark on this kid. In college basketball recruiting, you win some, but you end up losing a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          Before we start shredding the kid too much, let's make sure we keep his poor play on the court Samajae apart from Samajae the young man.

This kid has been through more that any ten of us combined. No father in his life, lost his mother to cancer when he was in high school, had nowhere to live so his coach took him in.

His lack of adult involvement (Mom was always working and then became sick) in his life created a loss of focus on everything but basketball to the point where he struggled badly in the classroom until his senior year in which he at least made good enough grades to graduate and play at Hutch. Because of his lack of foundation in academics, school will always be a challenge for him.

Finally, he was brought here to really be a two guard with the ability to fill in at the point for short duration's. Once Coach told me they expected him to bring instant energy and some offense off the bench. Now, two years later, he is expected to fill a role that he was really not recruited for and the perfect storm of unfortunate events (Shamet going pro, AR transferring, Lomax bailing) has caused him to be there. He could have bailed, quit school as he probably is not fond of it, or transferred to a small school and left the team and the fan base in a bigger mess in the off season

Samajae is 80% there to becoming a great success story, one where basketball has led him out of the darkness of a miserable life into one of hope and being a productive citizen making a difference in the community. I hope it is basketball that helps him get the other 20% to that future and not the discouragement of this season that prevents it.

So yes Samajae was not good last night. But let us never confuse the difference between Samajae the player and Samajae the person.
          Perfect. I'm going to say something about the booing in the next couple of days along the same lines. Great perspective and insight shoxlax and thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

This kid has been through more that any ten of us combined. No father in his life, lost his mother to cancer when he was in high school, had nowhere to live so his coach took him in.

Extremely great point. It's so easy to get caught up and rant about players but you're right. He's a great kid, and what a blessing it is that he and all the others chose our school, and didn't leave for greener pastures when the offseason storm hit. Go Shox.

Comment

As I've stated elsewhere, when this offseason unfolded, HCGM knew what he had, what he lost, and what he needed. He saw something in SHJ that put SHJ in the position he's at now. I hope the rest of us can see that before the new year.
              Having said that, I don't believe HCGM recruited him purely because of his background.I admire his ability and character, allowing him to overcome obstacles to get to this point; that makes him a GREAT teammate perhaps, but not necessarily a GREAT PG. Let's hope he shows us what he's got basketball-wise; no one should question what he has character-wise.

Comment

Great point and I agree with you that no one need to attack his life of the court, as I believe most folks on here aren’t doing and won’t do in the future.

That being said, players shouldn’t be exempt from negative reaction to poor play. They get all the cheer, love, support, and admiration when things go right. They are view as local celebrities and heros; something most people could only dream of. If they are going to accept the good, they need to be able to take it when the shoe is on the other foot as well.

(I know they aren’t pros and aren’t “getting paid”, but there are other ways of getting paid besides money)

If you get a poor performance review at work, it’s not a reflection of your personal life and character, but a reflection of your workplace output. You could be the greatest guy in the world and loved by all, but if you aren’t producing that won’t stop you from getting let go.

Now, I’m not suggesting SHJ be cut from the team. He needs to take this situation and reaction as an opportunity to better himself and his play on the court. Take ownership of the situation and look at how he can improve his game and help his team win. If he does that, people will love him more than if he didn’t go through the struggle, because he proved you can control your own destiny.

So keep your head up SHJ! Buckle up. Work hard. Grind it out. Come back better than ever!
                The Assman

Comment

After the ‘Long Road’, Wichita State’s Samajae Haynes-Jones is Thriving

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• TheShocktocles
                    TheShocktocles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great story. So glad that a local kid is living his dream . He has got an incentive to keep getting better. "Never give up"
                Working...
                X