Gameday Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gameday Experience

Believe me, I'm much more concerned about our play on the court than all the things surrounding it. However, I just want to give my 2 cents on the low level quality of our Gameday Experience... I'll do these in the order of which they happen...

1) - Playing "Bring em Out" - They started playing this last night with over 6 minutes left on the clock. We all know Marshall doesn't bring the guys out that early. However, the song gets everyone excited and on their feet anticipating the team coming out. Finally, after 3 minutes of this song playing with nobody coming out of the tunnel, the energy is gone and everyone is sitting down again. GET THIS RIGHT!!!! Time it better...much better!!
    2) - Video Before the Team Comes Out - I LOVED THIS VIDEO!!!!! Such a cool video highlighting the years that Marshall has been here. All of the accomplishments of the team. All of the NBA players. It had a song that had a rhythm that people could clap to. Very well done on this video. (I'll talk about this more later).
    3) - Before Team Introduction Video - AWFUL!!!! And that's putting it nicely. Not only is the video bad with nothing but videos of our guys doing whatever they are doing, but the music is awful. This video is supposed to be done to get people pumped up and it should have a beat where the crowd can clap along. I looked around last night and everyone is just standing there. There is no beat at all. People can't clap. My daughter was trying to clap and she didn't even know what to do because there was no rhythm. AWFUL!!!!
    4) - Band playing before opening tip - This is always one of my favorite times of the evening. The band gets everyone pumped up, the place is standing and clapping and hopeful of a great game, etc. Last night, the band didn't know when to start this song. They started it way too late and only got halfway through the song before the ref threw the ball up for opening tip. At this time, they had to stop playing. AWFUL, just AWFUL again!!!
    5) - In game promos - I'm not going to harp too much on this. In today's world, everyone knows these need to happen for revenue. I think WSU could do a better job of timing these, but oh well.

Needless to say, there is much left to be desired. You go to any "Bigtime" College Basketball game, and all of this stuff is done effortless. It just happens and is done great. I do not understand why it is so difficult here.

Getting back to the videos. If they would reverse the order of the 2 videos pregame, I think it would work great. Show the video of this year's team and players prior to them coming out of the tunnel. This would be just fine. The crowd is pumped and ready to see the team and it shows this years team. Then, prior to introductions, show the video with all the history and accomplishments and NBA players. That video had a rhythm that people could get into. I think this would be a GREAT change.

Again, I'm more concerned about the on court product than I am all of this stuff. However, I was very disappointed last night being there and seeing all of this fail once again.

Great idea about switching the two videos.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

When you have a leader (in this case ADDB) who attacks messengers rather than pondering the message itself, this is the logical and predictable outcome. At all levels of government/business/economics/whatever. As sure as the world is round, your product or service is going to suffer greatly when you look at situations from an upside-down perspective.

Our gameday production has been atrocious for years, and the Occam’s Razor after all this time is basically that the brass at the top frankly just doesn’t give a sh*t. The work is so poor such that it seems intentional and as if they’re trying to make a point of it. Like, “shut your mouth or we’ll make next year even worse.”
      Last edited by SHOCKvalue; November 7, 2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        When you have a leader (in this case ADDB) who attacks messengers rather than pondering the message itself, this is the logical and predictable outcome. At all levels of government/business/economics/whatever. As sure as the world is round, your product or service is going to suffer greatly when you look at situations from an upside-down perspective.

Our gameday production has been atrocious for years, and the Occam’s Razor after all this time is basically that the brass at the top frankly just doesn’t give a sh*t. The work is so poor such that it seems intentional and as if they’re trying to make a point of it. Like, “shut your mouth or we’ll make next year even worse.”
        You bring up a good point. Has anyone sent the marketing folks an email and received a response, other than canned?

Comment

• Shock Top
          Shock Top commented
          Editing a comment
          I emailed back in the ADES saying i'd be happy to take on the task and he basically said, "thanks, but no thanks. we're good."

While not really gameday production, here’s a prime microcosm indicating that at some point in the WSU AD system people are totally asleep at the wheel (and bringing home a paycheck in the process).

You see how the 2015 and 2016 banners are of the same size, font, and format? Yeah, well the other 11 banners to the left of those are identical in format (save for the unique 2013 FF banner). All printed and created at different points in time from the 2006 banner on, too. Repeatable uniformity, right? Not a concept just reserved for the highly-visual and artistic types.

So what happened to 2017 and 2018? Seriously, it’s like 2017 was the “here hold my beer” stage of the evening, and with the new 2018 just unfurled last night we’re at the “you’re drunk, go home stage.” And to think someone in the WSU AD is paid in part to oversee these things, and a third party is paid to print them off. No one in the process is thinking to themselves... “gosh Bob, that doesn’t look quite right... kinda looks like Stevie Wonder made it with his feet... maybe since this will hang here for perpetuity and be seen by 10,500 every night and possibly millions on TV we should get this right”?
        Last edited by SHOCKvalue; November 7, 2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Shock Top
          Shock Top commented
          Editing a comment
          I noticed that too... Very tacky, regardless of the level of competition.

Speaking of banners, they need to consolidate all the MVC Banners to two (Conference and Tournament), just like they did for the NIT appearances.

• pie n eye
          pie n eye commented
          Editing a comment
          DDH has me crying.

• Kung Wu
          Kung Wu commented
          Editing a comment
          Stevie Wonder ... feet ... BAHAHAHA

I'm going to pick up where ShockerFan left off. Why in the H_LL do we even have the band come anymore. The marketing dept obviously wants to hear the DJ play rap **** over our GREAT band. They don't know whether to play or wind their watch. The dance team at times couldn't even pick out a beat to put their own moves to. The promotions suck.... period. I totally understand the need to generate income but regulate this crap. There was a suggestion to have all cheer as loud as we can during these and I think that's a great idea. Maybe marketing will get the hint. The Carlos Whatever "hide the pepper" on the video board is so fast and not easy to see where it landed has already lost everyone and it shows when they play it. Retire the video also. Been there choked on the queso. The timing of the "bring em' out" was too early. This is not difficult people. WHEW....sorry for the rant, but passionate about our beloved Shockers and want our newcomers to have and atmosphere they can be proud of. Student section, much better.....

Comment

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree on the student section; thought they ‘brought it’ last night.

• Shock Top
          Shock Top commented
          Editing a comment
          They’ve been screwing up the “bring ‘em out” timing for years.

All the promotions are the same now. How creative.

You can just tell DDH doesn’t like having to do the promotions, but you’ve got to please the people writing the checks.

Also, come up with a new commercial concept CO’Ks. It wasn’t even that funny the first time.

• shoxrox89
          shoxrox89 commented
          Editing a comment
          I understand your frustration, but the rap music is what amps up the student section, feels like the game atmosphere is being catered more toward the younger crowd which in my opinion, is good.

While not really gameday production, here’s a prime microcosm indicating that at some point in the WSU AD system people are totally asleep at the wheel (and bringing home a paycheck in the process).

You see how the 2015 and 2016 banners are of the same size, font, and format? Yeah, well the other 11 banners to the left of those are identical in format (save for the unique 2013 FF banner). All printed and created at different points in time from the 2006 banner on, too. Repeatable uniformity, right? Not a concept just reserved for the highly-visual and artistic types.

So what happened to 2017 and 2018? Seriously, it’s like 2017 was the “here hold my beer” stage of the evening, and with the new 2018 just unfurled last night we’re at the “you’re drunk, go home stage.” And to think someone in the WSU AD is paid in part to oversee these things, and a third party is paid to print them off. No one in the process is thinking to themselves... “gosh Bob, that doesn’t look quite right... kinda looks like Stevie Wonder made it with his feet... maybe since this will hang here for perpetuity and be seen by 10,500 every night and possibly millions on TV we should get this right”?
        Truly embarrassing. Not to mention the fact that they stopped naming the regionals after the cities they were in like 10 years ago. We weren’t in the San Diego Regional last year. We were in the West Regional, first round.

Maybe the AD should concentrate more on the basic failings of the department instead of picking Twitter fights with fans while making himself look like an ass.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Truly embarrassing. Not to mention the fact that they stopped naming the regionals after the cities they were in like 10 years ago. We weren’t in the San Diego Regional last year. We were in the West Regional, first round.

Maybe the AD should concentrate more on the basic failings of the department instead of picking Twitter fights with fans while making himself look like an ass.
          LOL!!!

I didn't even catch that!

Embarrassed... further.

Comment

LOL!!!

I didn't even catch that!

Embarrassed... further.
            ulti.jpg
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I have noticed the "Providence/Indianapolis Regional" banners for awhile and am glad to know that it annoys other people too.

I hadn't been to enough events in the last couple of years to notice the difference in font and overall formatting...but yeah, upon SHOCKvalue mentioning that, I agree that it looks like hell and drives my OCDness crazy.
              78-65

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
                SHOCKvalue commented
                Editing a comment
                It's not just the font and format. The new 2018 banner just hung is like 10-15% larger than literally all of the other banners. Look the next home game.

• WuShock16
                WuShock16 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I noticed the banner size difference too. Ridiculous!

I mentioned this in a comment above, but they need to consolidate banners. (excluding super special ones like NIT Champs and Final Four)

One banner for each type of achievement:
              - Conference Regular Season
              - Conference Tournament
              - NCAA Appearances
              - Sweet Sixteens, Eight Eights, etc.

Clean it up, make it look better.
              The Assman

Comment

• ShockCrazy
                ShockCrazy commented
                Editing a comment
                Yuuup. This is one of the areas where we should look at what they do at AFH. Consolidated banners, clean, consistent, and cloth instead of glossy vinyl that reflects light.

• Shock Top
                Shock Top commented
                Editing a comment
                They’ve already done it with the NIT appearances, should be easy to do it with the rest.

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve mentioned this before, but the athletic department needs to send someone to AFH to see what game-day experience is all about; love ‘em or hate ‘em, they do it right up there. It’s not rocket science.

Man, just looking at SV's photo again. That is criminally bad upon further studying. It looks like a hodgepodge of kindergarten etchings just strung together from year to year with no uniformity. Honestly, who the **** looks at that, hangs it up, and says "sure, that looks great. perfectly professional." How does that happen at a high-level major basketball school? Good God, the incompetence is large with this department. VERY large. You really can't defend this at all.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

And if for whatever dumb reason someone in the department doesn't have the EXACT file the bulk of the banners were made from, then you simply take one down, take it to your sign maker, and tell this is the template. That said, I do like the idea of consolidating all the banners except for the biggies. Or do a full "ring" panel for all that stuff with sections that can be taken down and easily updated. And I would LOVE to see a digital board on media sideline, instead of the old light from behind one.
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerfan98 View Post
                  Before Team Introduction Video - AWFUL!!!! And that's putting it nicely. Not only is the video bad with nothing but videos of our guys doing whatever they are doing, but the music is awful. This video is supposed to be done to get people pumped up and it should have a beat where the crowd can clap along. I looked around last night and everyone is just standing there. There is no beat at all. People can't clap. My daughter was trying to clap and she didn't even know what to do because there was no rhythm. AWFUL!!!!
                  I think "awful" is too strong. "Pedestrian" would be apt. To be fair, there's not much to work with in terms of game highlights for these guys.

4) - Band playing before opening tip - This is always one of my favorite times of the evening. The band gets everyone pumped up, the place is standing and clapping and hopeful of a great game, etc. Last night, the band didn't know when to start this song. They started it way too late and only got halfway through the song before the ref threw the ball up for opening tip. At this time, they had to stop playing. AWFUL, just AWFUL again!!!
                  That was, indeed, awful -- but it wasn't the band's fault. The board op didn't pot down the music track. Nobody running the show down there which blows my mind because I believe the same team is in place as last year. The director waited awhile then said "eff it" and started over the track but didn't have time left before tip.

My "awful" for the band was them playing the Low Brass Cheer right after we fell behind 9 points. WTF? We're not contractually obligated to play Low Brass (nor the War song). That should be reserved for when we're actually kicking ass.

Getting back to the videos. If they would reverse the order of the 2 videos pregame, I think it would work great. Show the video of this year's team and players prior to them coming out of the tunnel. This would be just fine. The crowd is pumped and ready to see the team and it shows this years team. Then, prior to introductions, show the video with all the history and accomplishments and NBA players. That video had a rhythm that people could get into. I think this would be a GREAT change.
                  I disagree about the music for the History vid. The song mostly has a great beat, but their video firm often chooses music that has breaks that are out of the rhythmic pulse which kills the momentum as the crowd searches for the new beat. They like cool, interesting music that would be great for watching the segment on YouTube -- but there's no recognition from them about the setting and goal of the track. 10,000 people clapping in unison is intimidating. All you have to do is get music that maintains a strong, steady beat throughout. They refuse to provide that. (The team vid song does have a steady beat throughout, but, as you've correctly said, it's not a strong beat and is really difficult to pick up in an arena environment.)
                  “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

so many opportunities to be a+ but mediocrity is the lay of the land. personally, i’d at least reprimand my staff for the banner issue - its so elememtary its ridiculous. how about a panel of students for the intro video? i’m assuming the university has enough talent to produce this in-house. also kudos to the former staff member that had the balls to question it.

my knowledge of an aac member school states that the in-game promos are generally designed by the school and sold to the vendor sponsors...so change the promos that are sold... then sell them. prize insurance is cheap and will pretty much cover everything.

Comment

Working...
                    X