No announcement yet.

Official Wichita State versus Louisiana Tech Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying to look for the bright spots in this game. There were a few. Effort from Stevenson, Burton, Echn., and even Dennis. Lots and lots of missed free throws. Lots of missed rebound opportunities. What team in college basketball doesn't have a problem defensively when the opponent puts their head down and drives the basket.??? I know what never expected Shamet to leave early, and then lose Austin on a transfer, but this season will start slowly and hopefully turn out "just OK." There's a lot of youth on the floor.

The one thing I don't see too much of anywhere on the floor is team leadership. I am truly hoping Allen gets to play this season. I think he could be a vocal leader for this group and be a go-to guy when we need a basket. Watching this game and a lot of previous games, though, it ain't Samajae. At the end of the game I was joking with my wife about his poor decision making for 99.9% of the frickin game, and he went and pulled up with a 3point shot with 1-3 seconds on the clock and the game completely over. That's complete BS. If I'm coach and see that, I call a timeout with .3 on the clock and sit him just to send a message. That's middle school ball at best, and I think Samajae is being exposed for what he is. If we have to rely on him for that this season, I don't think I'm going to get to watch a lot of happy moments in Shocker basketball games. And McDuffie? Dude needs to get out and eat a burger or something. That fall away action on his shot is horrific.

We had opportunities in this game to get bac k into the game, but missing that many free throws is inexcusable for a team full of D1 student athletes. SHOW ME you can make free throws. I shoot free throws at a higher percentage with a blindfold on even with 10,000 screaming fans in a building. It's repetition.

Lots to work on and still hopefully more things to see, and better times ahead. I don't know if there's a more incomplete game as a team.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
      I'm trying to look for the bright spots in this game. There were a few. Effort from Stevenson, Burton, Echn., and even Dennis. Lots and lots of missed free throws. Lots of missed rebound opportunities. What team in college basketball doesn't have a problem defensively when the opponent puts their head down and drives the basket.??? I know what never expected Shamet to leave early, and then lose Austin on a transfer, but this season will start slowly and hopefully turn out "just OK." There's a lot of youth on the floor.

The one thing I don't see too much of anywhere on the floor is team leadership. I am truly hoping Allen gets to play this season. I think he could be a vocal leader for this group and be a go-to guy when we need a basket. Watching this game and a lot of previous games, though, it ain't Samajae. At the end of the game I was joking with my wife about his poor decision making for 99.9% of the frickin game, and he went and pulled up with a 3point shot with 1-3 seconds on the clock and the game completely over. That's complete BS. If I'm coach and see that, I call a timeout with .3 on the clock and sit him just to send a message. That's middle school ball at best, and I think Samajae is being exposed for what he is. If we have to rely on him for that this season, I don't think I'm going to get to watch a lot of happy moments in Shocker basketball games. And McDuffie? Dude needs to get out and eat a burger or something. That fall away action on his shot is horrific.

We had opportunities in this game to get bac k into the game, but missing that many free throws is inexcusable for a team full of D1 student athletes. SHOW ME you can make free throws. I shoot free throws at a higher percentage with a blindfold on even with 10,000 screaming fans in a building. It's repetition.

Lots to work on and still hopefully more things to see, and better times ahead. I don't know if there's a more incomplete game as a team.
      Absolutely nailed it.

That Samajae junk at the end just proves he is literally all about the points and doesn't even look or care at the scoreboard or other members of the team. That ending was the epitome of what SHJ is all about and how things are going to go with him. The fact that Marshall is going to rely on him means this season is going to go sideways quickly.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Marshall pinning this one on free throws and rebounding. While true, there were other more glaring factors that played into the loss that didn't get a mention.
        He also mentioned that McDuffie and SHJ played like freshman.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Was that his first point of 3 that he mentioned? Cuz I may have missed that part. Thanks.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post
            Would rather the Shocks do less sight seeing in DC and spend more time focusing and fixing things.
            I have no problem with the sight seeing. Maybe it will clear some minds up. In any case we are very unlikely to do much this year. We are playing for next year and beyond. Next year we lose the 2 seniors and at least 1 other player (probably Midtgaard but who knows) and add a couple of promising point guards and hopefully add the player McDuffie was supposed to be in DeAntoni Gordon. May still be somewhat of a work-in-progress next year but hopefully the year after next we will be back competing at the upper levels of the AAC.

Comment

• JVShocker
              JVShocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. And I think the game is just too fast for AM. I think there's a shot at finishing just inside or outside the middle of the pack in the AAC this season, but don't expect to see a significant change till mid-late December. I vaguely recall the start of a season like this under Randy Smithson, and if I can barely recall a road game at K-State where Jason Perez (then a frosh) decided to start shooting. We won the game and it was like a star or something that we could shoot for as a team because we had somebody step up and become the leader that nobody else could be.

• TheShocktocles
              TheShocktocles commented
              Editing a comment
              I tell you something about Gordon. He can dribble the dam ball without falling down and he goes to the whole strong. He is not fading away and getting his shot blocked by a 6"4 guard.

Was that his first point of 3 that he mentioned? Cuz I may have missed that part. Thanks.
            Yeah, I think it was towards the start of the post-game interview. That said I did not get the sense that he is ready to throw in the towel on these 2 guys and perhaps it is to soon for that but they need to be on a real short leash.

Comment

Absolutely nailed it.

That Samajae junk at the end just proves he is literally all about the points and doesn't even look or care at the scoreboard or other members of the team. That ending was the epitome of what SHJ is all about and how things are going to go with him. The fact that Marshall is going to rely on him means this season is going to go sideways quickly.
              How can 3G not see him for what he is? The more I think about it the more questions I have. Last year was a disappointmemt anyway you slice it. That team underachieved and wasnt always put in the best position to win by our staff. That was the 1st time under 3G I remember feeling the players thought they were bigger than the program. And yet here we are again with these two "seniors". Add in 3G completely mismanaged scholarships resulting in the current influx.

3G has been as bad as FcDuffie recently

Comment

• N Crestway
                N Crestway commented
                Editing a comment
                "Complete mismanagement of scholarships" is way over the top given just one game. Got some very promising freshmen on this team to build around for the future.

• IndianaShocker
                IndianaShocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Over the top? So tell me why is it good for the program to have 9 new players?

We're youngest team America with 9 new scholarships. No established coach in an established program wants to build a team from scratch. That's not over the top unless you know more than I do and someone else is responsible for blancing the classes.

• top20shock
                top20shock commented
                Editing a comment
                Marshall didn’t mis-manage anything. We’d have a better balance if two years ago the Grad senior wouldn’t have jacked his neck up and caused Rauno to burn his redshirt. I still don’t know what happened to Reaves and Landry is in the NBA.
                That said Haynes-Jones is clueless how to manage the team as a Point Guard
                Marshall had to start someone so he gave SHJ the benefit of the doubt. I suspect we will see an all Freshman backcourt with Burton at point spelled by Torres.
                People on here who question Marshall are nuts.

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

He's wrong. They played like entitled cancers.

Comment

• pie n eye
                pie n eye commented
                Editing a comment
                You aren’t going to survive the season if you don’t chill out.

• IndianaShocker
                IndianaShocker commented
                Editing a comment
                You're right. Self medicated a bit and life is back in balance. Personally, that was a really bad day to have a really bad game. I apologize to all and will be much improved going forward.

• WSU will have a decent core of sophomores next year but a bit worried about Udeze with his shoulder problems...will it be a chronic problem for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post

How can 3G not see him for what he is? The more I think about it the more questions I have. Last year was a disappointmemt anyway you slice it. That team underachieved and wasnt always put in the best position to win by our staff. That was the 1st time under 3G I remember feeling the players thought they were bigger than the program. And yet here we are again with these two "seniors". Add in 3G completely mismanaged scholarships resulting in the current influx.

3G has been as bad as FcDuffie recently
                25-8, NCAA 4 seed, 1 basket away from an AAC conference title and we underachieved? We got fudged in the tournament by a cinderella, which happens, but we didn't underachieve. We lost some of our identity but let's not run Marshall out of town yet.

The future managing of the "seniors" will be interesting but Marshall does know what he's doing. If loyalty doesn't get too much in the way, things should even themselves out.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• IndianaShocker
                  IndianaShocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not running him out of town. I think he's been great, but if you think he's been at his best the last 12 months we see things way different. He's in charge. It's his job to create and maintain a culture. He was possibly the best in college basketball at that for a 3-4 year stretch. But something changed last year and allowing these two upperclassman to do as they please tonight was more of the same. I like a team that 3G stamps his personality on. It's been a while since we've seen that....first half vs ND in Maui maybe?

Players are free game on here. Why should we give the man responsible for leading those players a pass??

We need 3G at his best. I'll take that guy over just about anyone, but it's been a minute since he was at his best.

• This is going to be a long season and now my expectations are set. As the season goes on, i would like to see less and less of MM, and SHJ. They offer nothing moving forward. Play the young guys and get better as the season progresses. Build around DB, ES and DD. Get ready for the AAC tournament. Im not saying they should just give up but this season should be a set up for next season

Comment

• JVShocker
                  JVShocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't yet know for sure it will be a long season, I expected a transition from last season to this season. However, I have to agree that if you're not going to get SENIOR leadership, you have to look for it elsewhere. Some of the shot selection and decision making from the seniors has just been brutal these first two times I've seen the team play. And (it's a big AND) - I have yet to see these guys play together. It's like a mish-mash of parts of something, and it's not yet what it is to eventually look like. I'm hoping the season is only a long one for 1/4 of a season before nerves calm, players settle, trust and help, and coaches coach. I'm not entirely sure any moving part of this machine (coaches to players) is exactly sure what their role is.

• While I'm not happy about the result of the game, there's a lot of troll worthy posts on this page above me.

3g can't shoot the free throws, can he? He can't go box out, either. Do 50% better there, and we won this game . Gotta teach freshman how to do those things.

I don't have any excuses or anything positive to say about the seniors.

Comment

• McDuffie always played better of the bench in previous seasons. Let’s go back to that.

Comment

• IndianaShocker
                    IndianaShocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What? Do you people just make stuff up?He was terrible off the bench last season. Sophomore was his best season. He started.

• I expect the freshmen to struggle but not our seniors. IMHO neither are team players and don't belong on
                  the floor. I predicted that ES would have a break out game and he did. He is clearly the best all around
                  player on the team. I called him "Bakerish" and still see that potential in him. JE had the next best game and
                  should start, as well, but you can't blame the other centers for the loss. They are what they are and all will
                  probably see duty out of necessity so just root for them all to gradually improve. They were not the difference
                  in the game tonight the seniors were. Okay, starters should be JE, TA or Brown, , DD, ES and JB. I also
                  mentioned on Etienne's thread that he could start for us right now and tonight proved it. We need a true PG
                  that knows HOW to play PG. ES might need to play some this season.

Comment

• Dan
                    Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Still struggling with initials. TA? He’s not even eligible

• Gotta wonder if showing so many the revolving door out of town the past few years has lowered the median... I’m not going to say talent, but maybe on-court capabilities at this particular and acute point in time.

Long year, so this isn’t fair, but it sure looks like we might need an expansion project on that revolving door to handle the outflow next March.

Damn... gotta hope that learning curve happens fast or that 8th spot in the AAC will look like an oasis in the desert.

Comment

Working...
                  X