2018-19 Coaches Show with Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REMINDER: Coaches Show Tonight (01/28/19) at 6:00pm

The Gregg Marshall Radio Show returns to the airwaves, Monday, Jan. 28th. Join Coach Marshall LIVE from 6-7 p.m. every Monday at AJ's Sports Grill at The Alley, or listen to the show on KNSS (98.7 FM / 1330 AM). The show is rebroadcast in a television format Mondays at 9 p.m. on YurView Kansas (Cox 2022).

Comment

• Surprise surprise - Marshall hasn’t showed up yet - 8 after 6

Comment

• Kennedy said they would be skipping the weekly ranking and WSU didn’t have anybody in the running for player of the week.

Comment

• Kennedy talked about first pitch banquet before taking first break.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            Surprise surprise - Marshall hasn’t showed up yet - 8 after 6
            We aren't important enough for an hour a week.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
              REMINDER: Coaches Show Tonight (01/28/19) at 6:00pm

The Gregg Marshall Radio Show returns to the airwaves, Monday, Jan. 28th. Join Coach Marshall LIVE from 6-7 p.m. every Monday at AJ's Sports Grill at The Alley, or listen to the show on KNSS (98.7 FM / 1330 AM). The show is rebroadcast in a television format Mondays at 9 p.m. on YurView Kansas (Cox 2022).
              It should read, "...Join Mike Kennedy live from 6-7 and Coach Marshall from... sometime after 6 to 7."

Comment

• Kennedy asked about players "buying in". HCGM said that he got a couple players who have not bought in, a couple who feel overwhelmed and a couple who are not sure if WSU is the place for them. Coach says he has his assistants out recruiting,

Comment

Kennedy asked about players "buying in". HCGM said that he got a couple players who have not bought in, a couple who feel overwhelmed and a couple who are not sure if WSU is the place for them. Coach says he has his assistants out recruiting,
                  A couple, plus a couple, plus a couple equals 6? Wonder how you balance playing time with those that have not bought in and/or who think this is not the place for them, yet you still need to account for 200 minutes per game. Feeling overwhelmed could be eased with experience, hopefully.
                  Last edited by mattdalt; January 28, 2019, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• SB Shock
                    SB Shock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I suppose that a player could be in several categories. He said Dexter Dennis asked to be taken out of the starting lineup.

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And it could be 6 different guys but if we have to bring in 8 newcomers against to replace 6 guys plus Markis and Samajae we better do a heckuva lot better job than we did with this recruiting class. I guess it worked kinda of Okay for USF.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 28, 2019, 07:40 PM.

• shoxlax
                    shoxlax commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would say there is some overlap there.

• Torres definitely in the overwhelmed camp, maybe Stevenson, maybe Udeze too. Poor Bear has not bought in, obvious choice.
                  Last edited by Dan; January 28, 2019, 06:49 PM. Reason: This is why we have redshirts. I wish more guys would come in here with the maturity of Ron Baker and recognize that a redshirt is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Comment

• Hmmm Coach's comments make me believe we MIGHT lose 4-6 guys.

Comment

• pinstripers
                      pinstripers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jesus

• Dan
                      Dan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And some of us were crazy for suggesting wholesale changes. Where is this grocery store where 3G is gonna find all these new players?

• shoxlax
                      shoxlax commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It’s a rough way to do business and I’m not talking about hurting kids feelings. Turning over a roster again damn well better have sure things on it and GM knows that, so i think some of this is hubris and reverse psychology. My gut is we have two that will be given better options and one or two that might not like their surroundings that we don’t necessarily want to depart.

That’s a lot different than “cutting 5 or 6” like someone said recently.

• I assume the Chandler thing was not addressed?

Comment

Kennedy asked about players "buying in". HCGM said that he got a couple players who have not bought in, a couple who feel overwhelmed and a couple who are not sure if WSU is the place for them. Coach says he has his assistants out recruiting,
                      This makes me feel a little bit better that the problem is with the players and not the coaches. Of course it could still be the coaches but Marshall has a track record, these kids don't. I knew our problems went wayyyyyyyyyyy beyond the "freshmen blues". Marshall concurs 100%. It's too bad really, some of these kids are making choices they're going to regret the rest of their lives.

Not a huge surprise that an old school coach like Gregg Marshall is going to suffer heavy turnover at times in this day and age of Snowflakes. You never really know a person's character until they get tested. This year he got unlucky on several fronts with Cupid, Lo-Min, and Teddy. It was the perfect storm.

I have no doubt that hard-asses like Ron and Fred held the team's culture together when things got a little rough. I can easily envision Fred telling a fellow teammate who had been dragging ass and considering quitting where he could go to get his feminine hygiene products. With our current situation, the mental weaklings may actually be the majority. Gregg has no chance if that's the case. At some point all he can do is flush.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Let's not forget that early in their Shocker careers Ron Baker and Carl Hall had discussions with each other about whether they should leave because the program was too intense for them. This should remind us that A) even really tough players can struggle with Marshall's expectations and B) not everyone who feels this way ends up leaving.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Dan
                          Dan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Shaq tried to leave and his mom said “get your ass back up there”. I wonder if he’s glad he listened?

• Topshock
                          Topshock commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ron Baker never considered leaving the program

• 12eagle
                          12eagle commented
                          Editing a comment
                          False and False but good story

• Can anybody link me to the podcast?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Torres definitely in the overwhelmed camp, maybe Stevenson, maybe Udeze too. Poor Bear has not bought in, obvious choice.
                          These were the four I immediately thought of. Stevenson a long way from home. Chandler didn't play one second of the UConn game for some reason. Torres not fitting in and overwhelmed. Hopefully it's not Dexter Dennis...

Comment

Working...
                          X