A Call to the Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Call to the Fans

With the 2018-2019 season upon us, most of us are experiencing varying levels of excitement, concern, hope. We have a lot of new faces - something unseen to this point under Gregg Marshall. The team has a daunting task ahead of it by trying to compete at a high level with 11% of the minutes returning, one of the lowest in the country. Most players don't have any Division 1 experience, and have only gotten a small taste to this point of what big time basketball is about. They certainly have an uphill battle on their hands.

That is where we the fans come in. Historically we have a pretty good reputation as a supportive and intense crowd. Many have raved about packed games and intense atmospheres. Despite this, we have things that work against a rowdy atmosphere. Ticket prices make it harder for the average Joe to attend games, and the in-game promotions certainly help to kill the atmosphere at times. However - the time is now for our fan base to step up.

This new group needs the support of the home crowd this season. This year more than any, we need to support these young men through positive words, and just generally screaming our heads off throughout the game. We need to really be standing for defense (which includes through free throws), and be willing to jump to our feet to help start a scoring run. Don't underestimate the impact our 6th man can have on a game (and on a season), and don't sit down or stop clapping because somebody behind you gets annoyed. I don't know that it is realistic to have an undefeated home record this season, but let's try our damnedest and will this team to victory. Bring it every game, regardless of opponent. Here's to outperforming expectations, starting Tuesday. Go Shockers!

In the Catawba game, when our defense forced them into a shot clock violation, and the crowd was going nuts, you could see on our players’ faces how much it meant.

Comment

I thought that i saw this last year somewhere.. but should we get on our feet and cheer through the lame promos? Noise... just lots and lots of noise.?. Having been on the road to some competing schools (mo state, baylor, utah (here now for sporting kc match), their fans are cheering through time outs and video reviews. Maybe we just need to take it upon us and do the same.

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
        abdullah_sharif commented
        Editing a comment
        With or without the school’s blessing.

• SB Shock
        SB Shock commented
        Editing a comment
        The fans yell at their own wishes, not the schools. I remember when WSU was booing the refs so hard that they threatened a technical on WSU if the fans didn’t quit. It took Gregg to get on then mic to tell the fans to quit. So what did we do - we just cheered as loud as we could (can’t call a technical for cheering) the roof almost rattled off and their opponent and refs melted and WSU exploded for victory.

• WuShock16
        WuShock16 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, that was against TCU in 2009ish. The students started chanting "these refs suck." The refs told Gregg to tell the students to knock it off, which he did. As SB said, that kinda put a fire into the rest of the crowd, and the Shockers stormed to victory.

Most of the season I'll be yelling, literally screaming, from home. I can't afford tickets, but I have good friends that are season ticket holders, and they graciously take me to 3 games or so each year. Go Shox!
      "Ralph Miller was one of the finest coaches in the history of intercollegiate basketball. His teams were always fundamentally sound, team oriented, well conditioned, and ran both their offense and defense with great patience. I know of no coach whose teams competed against his, whether it be at Wichita State, Iowa, or Oregon State, who did not have great respect for him."—John Wooden

Comment

Although this article is focused mostly on student support and covers sports other than just men's basketball it probably fits here:

RH: Student Voices Make a Difference to Shockers

https://goshockers.com/news/2018/11/...-shockers.aspx

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 5, 2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X